Best of Us [BETA TESTING]

How are you going to do romances, will it be lord of aswick style or different, if it is the first option I hope it only has people we have met, and each romance has its own story arc!

Sorry for the late feedback.
Yes I feel like you hit the perfect spot between enough variation as it is really fun to see how we can use our powers according to whatever obstacle may lay in our way.

I really would love if some of the characters take notice to the specific powers the MC might possess and maybe also different dialogue options according to your powers, Such as if you picked ‘Flying’ as your main ability that maybe you and Aurora could have chats while flying. Same with Nightreaver, it would be comical if the MC and him would perhaps both be using their Wall Climbing ability and happen to be on the same exact building.

I don’t know if you understand me fully (I can be a confusing person at times) let me know if you need me to clarify.

-Just a Few thoughts from your friendly forum poster Ryse

For notable figures, I imagine a dossier on all their information available (height, weight, gender, name, occupation and key information in a small paragraph.)

Heroes however, the information should be limited. Their hero name, known abilities, skills, public opinions and achievements around the city. The rest of the info will be scarce like real name, height, weight, homeland etc.

As the game progresses notes can be added to the dossiers on info we found out about them, for example if we find out a heroes’ real name it’s put in the file or if a notable figure has done something of interest that will be added too. So it’s updated as we go through the game.

Another little bit that could be added is a personal opinion. What our hero thinks of these characters. (Mostly ones we interact with) this could help us keep track on how high or low our relationship is with the said character.

Those! I AM IN AGREEMENT.

3 Likes

Love the romance story on lord of aswick.

Would our fighting style affects the story? For example: if i choose ‘muay thai’
I could defeat this person or cant defeat him/her because of my fighting style.

Would be given the option to just stay vigilante or become a hero where police wont think of me as a vigilante

(Tell me if i broke a rule im very sorry i havent read all of it)

@NukeboomV2
I doubt there will be much romance at all in Best of Us. That isn’t the focus of the story, and so far there hasn’t been good opportunity to include it. If I notice that characters might become entwined in such a way, I will include an option to further that. But my intention is to not force romance into it just for the sake of including romance and ticking a box.

@Portugas_D_Ace
The fighting style is more character building than anything. Much like the outfit, it’ll come into play in your imagining the scenes and might be referred to on occasion, but it won’t play a huge part where you can’t defeat someone because you’ve practised the “wrong” martial arts. I’m not going to make that kind of judgement call on superiority of one fighting style over another if it detracts from a reader experience.

There will be a point where you will either be the villain of the story, the hero of the story, or something in between. I haven’t decided on the exact details on how the police and other officials will treat you in any of those resolutions. If there is a point where the police do come to your side, however, I will absolutely be making it a choice of whether or not you want to work with them.

I always hated it when cops fought with super heroes for no reason (batman), but if this is different, then I will buy it on soft release itself!

Well, technically police would fight all vigilantes as long as they break the law.
In the scope of this story however, the police are held back more than their comic book counterparts. This due to public opinion, distractions from the chaos after a decimating earthquake, rapid and broad organizational changes disrupting their ranks, and considerations about officer safety.

You reeeeeeeally though it through, didn’t you? Wow.

@Goshman do u happen to read or watch manga/anime? Because if the game is inspired by the arcs of DC and MARVEL comics there are tons of anime you can base it to just an suggestion.

Regarding to the romance topic, I prefer companionship over romance.

Let’s say we get to know another hero on a personal level and then you can create a dynamic duo to fight crime, combining power sets to create effective strategies and it becomes a strong connection like a sibling bond. It also makes it more emotional if that character dies, I found myself a lot more upset when a brother/sister figure dies than when a romantic interest dies.

So super awesome hero duet bros? Hell yes.

1 Like

Honestly, I’ve never come across a WIP with so much replayability.

Happy New Year everyone. Mark the occasion with a fresh update to the public version of Best of Us. It’s a major one, adding a good 23k words in total to the story. This will be the final public update when it comes to the story, and the rest of the chapters will be only available for a closed beta and the final product.

The only thing I will update to this version in the future will be to add the dossiers for people of importance and fellow vigilantes, whenever I get those in a good enough shape.

If you find strangeness in the text (such as confusing paragraphs), typos, bugs, or weird omissions or jumps, let me know as usual. This is the most complex chapter in the story so far, so it is likely that I’ve forgotten to do something in there somewhere. Quote a full sentence to make it easier to locate issues.

15 Likes

after playing the new scenes. I’m starting to doubt Purge is actually Richard Rennow and this ‘Dawn’ could be a very serious threat.

3 Likes

Final public update huh? Well then, I guess this project is officially underway. Good luck with the beta testing portion!

Will check it out now.

Yes! Finally! I hope I can play the full version at least by the end of the year (if possible)

Can’t say anything for certain. I’m targeting a three month deadline for turning it in as a ready product. at my current pace, I will be able to finish the writing process within January and then just need to test it thoroughly.

Actual release would depend on the circumstances, the release queue, and the storefronts. My hope is that Best of Us can be out before the summer months.

6 Likes

Thanks a lot, just played it and loved it ( I wonder what combustion person has in store for us).

The sheer amount of customization in this game is awesome. From outfit to nationality, and most importantly, powers! After playing through the Heroes Rise trilogy, I’ve been hurting for a new superhero CYOA game. Best of Us works very well in filling that role.

After playing through a bit, however, I have seen inconsistencies in tense and some awkward writing which might take away from the game.

1 Like

I’ll read it again and post my two cents here. :slightly_smiling:
“The group dispersed towards the kitchen slowly, and Aurora broke off to you and Nightreaver, pulling you aside into an office.”
might be rephrased into:
Aurora broke off from the slowly dispersing group to pull you and Nightreaver into an office.

“Uh-huh. Fly me where I came from, huh? Nightreaver is German, Icarus is British . Why not fly them out of here too? Would solve a lot of their troubles, wouldn’t you? (wouldn’t it?) Dispersing this merry band of vigilantes before they have to. (they have to what?)” Caracal said, shifting [and shifted] out of the doorway (how do you shift out of a doorway?). You glanced at Aurora and Nightreaver, both of whom seemed hesitant. “We may not like each other, but it seems to me that we need each other.”

Would you also consider writing in present tense? It might make for less awkward verb transitions.

For example:
“Uh-huh. Fly me where I came from, huh? Nightreaver is German, Icarus is British . Why not fly them out of here too? Would solve a lot of their troubles, wouldn’t you? (wouldn’t it?) Dispersing this merry band of vigilantes before they have to. (they have to what?)” Caracal says, shifting out of the doorway (how do you shift out of a doorway?). You glance at Aurora and Nightreaver, both of whom seem hesitant. “We may not like each other, but it seems to me that we need each other.”