Best of Us [BETA TESTING]

I’m getting this error when trying to open the stats screen:

choicescript_stats line 85: Non-existent variable 'martial-arts

It starts happening after you choose your alias.

I think that things move a little fast, I mean in no time at all, we find ourselves in a conspiracy and are fairly friendly with hero’s that we have never met. Also the last time we saw Nightreaver, we were fighting with him, so I think that that conversation should be a little more tense. Would it be possible to increase our proficiency in using our powers, like with energy manipulation, with a training session or something?

1 Like

I went for a Spider Gwen type character. It’s a very well put together game. At times I forgot it was a work in progress.

This is immense. The whole idea of building your character from scratch, including powers, is very appealing in itself. I made mine into an indestructible tank (healing, thermal resistance, durability).

Already heroes have ideals. Aurora is the classic ‘protect the city, don’t hurt innocents’ moto and seems to love the attention whilst Nightreaver (I think? His name escapes me) is an Anti-hero who goes by any means necessary to ‘be a hero’. I’m already sensing these two ideals will play a big role later in the game and will evolve our hero on either path.

You mentioned taking inspiration from Marvel’s civil war, I’m having a guess and saying again, ideals will choose your side. Not to mention it’s my favourite comic series, so this fact makes me giddy.

People mention romance interests and I can see a possible three: the good hero, the Anti-hero and in extreme cases, a Villian. I say extreme for the villian because you mentioned you can be a villian, this romance option can be for those players OR you and your arch nemesis have a bond similar to joker and batman. Whether the hero wants to admit it or not, the two have no true purpose without one or the other, they complete each other and the nemesis knows this and constantly has the need to remind the hero of it, thus they develop a creepy obsession/unrequited love for our hero.

I’m very looking forward to this game as it develops. It’s really got me gripped and wanting more. If a beta tester is needed, I’m willing to offer what I can.

3 Likes

During the option when you choose a martial art if you choose and art and then press no the art chosen disappears and is not able to be chosen again. You also can’t go back to the regional martial art choices at that point. If you press no to all choices none remain and you get an error message.

… Okay now i wanna be like Batman with a genderbent joker… Basically a world where instead of Joker being Batman’s Nemesis its Harley Quinn and Joker’s the one obsessed with uh Missus H?

Holy Crap i wonder if there’s even a alternate universe DC comic where thats the case… Harley needs to get revenge for all the crap Joker put her through…

Ahem either way if thats what you meant… I kinda want that like i even wanna play it where this supervillain girl is obsessed with me and SHE KNOWS that despite how I try to act like she’s my enemy SHE KNOWS THAT I NEED HER! Like how Batman needs Joker…

Dude you had a great idea like holy crap.

Now fingers crossed that this can happen.

3 Likes

That’s exactly what I was thinking, this villian has decided to take an interest in the MC and after their first encounter, they see them as a worthy adversary. I imagine the villian to be open about the bond they have with the hero and are always hinting that they know the hero feels the exact same way, naturally MC denies it and just dubs the villian as insane. After so long, they finally beat them and lock them up, this is when our hero realises that what they said is true, feeling no purpose anymore now they have become victorious.

I also imagine if @Goshman is going for a ‘civil war’ like story, there could be a choice where the villian offers to provide help in some way. When questioned they admit that the war provides chaos on both sides which they thrive in and would aid the MC’s side so they don’t see the hero fall by somebody else’s hands, hinting towards a weird kind of jealousy. Although they offer help they won’t join their side, seeing their purpose as the hero’s enemy and nothing else, preferring to be on the fence.

If this villian is made into a love interest I wouldn’t like to see it as a normal romance. If the hero affirms their feelings, they would remain rivals no matter what. They’re destined to oppose one another, being on the same side just because of their love would be denying that destiny. It would be a great scene if they are in love by the time of a final confrontation, like being given the choice to arrest them, kill them or letting them go.

Of course this is all wishful thinking, but I will keep on wishing!

2 Likes

that is exactly how i want it to go!

Man this just reminded me of “the Killing Joke”. But yeah this would make really make being a hero more interesting.

Definitely wishful thinking on our part but man…

2 Likes

With the confrontation scene we need a really good reason why we should arrest or kill them too, else people who romance with their villian will just let them go.

Let’s say our villian has energy manipulation and uses electricity and is incredibly talented in technology. They have created a circuit of powerful explosives hidden in some of the city’s most vital spots, controlled by a countdown device that’s powered by the electric currents pulsing through their body, the only way to shut down the device is for the villian to have their powers disabled, but the electric currents in their body is also what keeps the villian alive, so knocking them out and arresting them won’t cut it. This is a choice between the hero’s justice or their feelings. Head or heart. Selfless or selfish etc.

I’m really getting hopes up too high thinking all of this, I should stop :smile:

Edit: if they didn’t romance the villian but chose another love interest, it’s their live on the line as well as the villain’s somehow

Maybe we can decide on some creation process of this villain hmm who knows but yeah time to stop… Getting a lot of hope man hahaha.

I got, disaster line 367: Invalid variable name, must start with a letter, after I choose to attack nightreaver when I first meet him.

Wow.One of my favorite games on the site now loved Lords Of Aswick and this looks really promising

This is certainly one of the more well written ones on here, I do hope to see it progress.
Also, I was wondering what sort of power sets people found paired best together.
For instance I see how Nightreaver’s powerset is all well concentrated to a master thief sort of build. Wallcrawling, agility, etc.

Aurora seems the cliché superhero flying and super strength, she must have durability too to handle her flight speed.

I personally went for impervious force. Thermal resistance, healing and durability, making my MC very very difficult to defeat.

It’s a shame I saw no super speed ability

1 Like

Alright, I did teleport, energy manip or projection whatever it was, healing factor, and enhanced durability.

I did Teleport,Healing Factor,Super Agilty and Super Endurance

I did the same abilities

Teleport, healing factor, super endurance, super strength master race.

BUG FOUND!
It happens when I decide to reveal myself and attack nightreaver. Here are the choices I made that get me to the bug: Male->Russian->Excellent->Russian->name->surname->stop, no matter what->manual labour->mind->teleport->healing factor->super strength->super endurance->point at cop->rush in->check soldiers->take gear->very utilitarian->no->single colour->black->reveal, intervene->attack, take him off guard

Thank you for bringing that to my attention, especially with such detail. It should stand fixed now.

“Pacifica is rising from the ashes of a corrupt slum. But with all of this change there will be those who push back and those who would pray on the free.” during the white villain monologue - should it be prey instead of pray?

I really like this! I love that you can customise your character so much and the story is shaping up to be really interesting. I spotted a couple of other typos at times so if I see them again when I play through I’ll comment again. I like all of the power options because theres just so much scope for creating the perfect hero, you know? I was wondering if on the power select screen it would be difficult to kind of have something counting which power it is ( so instead of “You also had” it would be “Your second power was:” or maybe “Aside from (previous choice), you also had” because while playing that bit I didn’t know how many powers I would get and was worried that there was a bug that was making me to go through that screen again and again :confused: