Best of Us [BETA TESTING]

You’re already able to maintain momentum to some degree, and shift the angle of momentum dependent on how and where you teleport. It’s been alluded to in the fight scenes where you decide to use teleportation.

So far it’s limited, but with time the powers will develop to greater extent. In the latest chapter, the power would be quite close to how Nightcrawler uses his teleportation in X-Men 2. If you haven’t seen it, look up the White House fight scene to see a great example.

I was honestly thinking Deadpool. Probably why my characters super hero name is Deadpool.

You should let us have the option to have our very own customized weapon(s), like swords or martial arts weapons, like a glaive. I want makeshift Wolverine claws. Hell yeah. Love the new content by the way, keep it up.

Oh, and I’m a huge teleportation guy. We’ll get to wield it like Nightcrawler? PERFECT.

I’d like to learn a fighting style like boxing or even muy thai.(no idea if i spelled that right.)

Wait, yeah. Mabye we can get the choice to get actually trained in a fighting style of our choice instead of just straight up brawling everyone. Mabye give us the option when you ask us how we “develop”. I wanna use gadgets AND martial arts. Like, Ninjutsu, or, yeah, Muay Thai. That’d be great. I wanna be Batman-like, but just with some powers to augment my physicality.

Here’s a potential list, just for ideas:

Muay Thai
Ninjustsu
Jiujutsu
Judo
Kung Fu
Thai Chi
Krav Maga
Caprioara
Sambo

It wouldn’t take much research. You don’t have to know the origins or philosophy of all these. Mabye we get trained by a guy with a run down gym, but he’s a beast, or maybe even another hero. It’d just be totally unique for hand to hand nuts like me, and trust me, in a hero\vigilante game, there’s lots.

I loved this demo and I hope it’s going to be a amazing game. But I’m sorry, I have to ask. Will we have the sequel of Lords of Aswick this year? Please.

It could also go the mma route to have a more balanced moveset, or even have the moves based around what powers you have.

Not this year. I’ve started the draft, but I am not actively focusing on it at this time. Next year at the earliest, more likely that it’ll get finished at some point in 2017.

For the rest of you, you’ll be happy with the start of next chapter.
I know Kung Fu.

7 Likes

@Everyone on the thread

What do you guys think will happen in this improptu meeting with both Aurora and Nightreaver? What are your hopes for it?

I personally believe that Aurora and Nightreaver will ask us to join some kind of Superhero team because of the rapidly growing threat of New Dawn.

1 Like

Personally, I think that would be freakin awesome. Especially if we could offer a counter proposal of forming one of our own, being able to pick or at least try to pick who we wanted to be on our team. Also I know it’s cliche, especially when hero rise did it also, I want a protege to mentor and teach, hopefully one that won’t stab me in the back (I’m looking at you prodigal).

@Goshman, I really like what you’ve got. If I were you, I’d make other heroes appear less often, and add a bit more to the costumes (most importantly the mask), but that’s just my opinion. You’ve done great so far.

@Goshman

I found some errors in my playthroughs when you try to flee the New Dawn fellow. I’ve posted the screenshots below:

• Fleeing via flight![|690x471](upload://w7Qyeb9YGtO1XdZ3PdHeEvOpbZx.PNG)
  • Fleeing via superjump![|690x492](upload://tudCFzJRk2cwAlmip4wCExx9cRo.PNG)
  • Fleeing via Teleportation![|690x489](upload://vZHNpR327HvwxhQe8NZ5WcgGnDD.PNG)
-

Other stuff:

• When you choose "Check on the car" vs chasing Caracal or checking on the kid, is it intentional that the text skips over any further description of the car wreck and instead breaks away from the narrative into discourse?
  • Personally, I find the past tense of the story awkward to read, and feel like present tense might be more suited for the genre. I ended up editing a random section of text to present tense (and— pardon the presumption—I ended up changing some other stuff up as well) as an example:
    Original: Even in the darkness, you could see through to what the hood was hiding. Instead of seeing a face, you saw very nondescript facial features bent in ways that should be impossible. You looked closer and saw a thick layer of something, perhaps a mask, that seemed to refract what little light was hitting it, causing an intriguing and somewhat mesmerizing effect that made this person's face twist and melt to the point of being unrecognizable. Near the lower edge of the plastic mask, you spotted an opaque rig with horizontal slots on it, probably the voice modulator. "I've heard about you. The way you've crashed into our business. The police we can handle, they can be directed to other leads and led on chases that can last for years. You vigilantes are an unfortunate lot, butting yourselves into business that doesn't and shouldn't involve you." The figure said, the voice modulator shifting between a higher and lower pitch voice, tinted by a robotic mechanical tinge.
    Edited: The darkness and shadows of the hood obscure the figure’s face, but what you can make out seems nondescript and impossibly skewed, as if the facial features are twisting and bending from some glassy mask.

“I’ve heard about you,” continues a slightly robotic voice, pitch fluctuating every other syllable, “— the way you’ve crashed into our business.” The figure steps forward a bit and in the better light, you spot an opaque rig with horizontal slots on the lower edge of the figure’s mask. “The police we can handle. They can be directed to other leads and led on chases that last for years.” The figure gives a bit of a dramatic hand flair and casually paces while you look on. “But you vigilantes are an unfortunate lot, always butting into things that doesn’t and shouldn’t involve you.”

The figure punctuates the last bit. “You may think that you simply stumbled on our business, but perhaps you were always meant to discover us in one way or another,” says the undulating voice, beginning to slowly advance toward you. ”You see, the world is changing. This is a New Dawn for all of humanity.”

^ I also feel that this particular scene might benefit from having the figure holding one of the muggers you were chasing hostage while speaking to visibly enforce the character’s idea of “purging” “lesser” lifeforms. Though this depends on how threatening the character is meant to depicted as.

• This is just my two cents and stuff since I do think the story concept has potential, but feel free to disregard my this last bit if you feel otherwise about the writing. In general, it’s better to just get all the material out first and leave editing for the very end. /shrugs

1 Like

@Doctor If people want more details about the costumes, I’ll add detail. Right now I’ve been trying to find in a minimalistic balance so readers can fill in the details in their head. Do you think it’s too minimalistic in that regard?

@forWantOf The errors should be fixed now. I ran through it a couple of times to make sure.
    I added some detail to the other options at the car wreck. Thanks for bringing my attention back to that. It did seem a little too abrupt to change the scene. It’s still abrupt, it’s supposed to be an abrupt cut from the scene, but at least now you’ll have some more content there.
    Present tense would probably provide a more immediate and dynamic feel to the story, but I made a concious decision to make it a past-tense narration when I first started the story. In my opinion, it lends more credibility (wrong word, but closest to the one that’s escaping me) for the lengthy time skips I take between some scenes. There is an in-story reason for it as well.

@Goshman, no I think what you’ve got is fine, I was just trying to think up some constructive criticism

Well, unexpected. I still want choice though. And different arts. I like the idea of getting to choose between one discipline or multiple, as in MMA. That way we can play as whatever kind of fighter we feel like.

Awesome so far! Plez bring in romantic interests!

i`m sold on the concept.
    would like too have a bit more of clue on whats going on around me.

other then that so far i like it a lot.
    keep this up

Fair points! I’m looking forward to see what the story is building up to.

I really enjoy how the costume and power customization was set up. There’s just enough concrete detail for a player to build off of without being too restrictive to the imagination.