Battle in the Ruins of a Dead Civilization (an off-site small contest for fun and glory)

:hugs: Congratulations on Ending it!!!

4 Likes

Thanks! To you as well!

2 Likes

I spent the last two days neglecting life in favour of cannablising and condensing my story so that I would at least have something done in time. Albeit something buggy, linear, rushed, and technically off-theme. Cutting it down made the contest theme almost nonexistent. There is a dead civilization, but the closest thing to a battle is a shoving match at itā€™s front door. Lol.

So, Iā€™m not entering this in the contest, Iā€™m just here, posting my trash story, so that I can feel some sense of accomplishment I guess. (God, am I ecstatic to get back to writing with variables.)

Encounters at the Edge of the Wood

Now I can finally take the time to read peopleā€™s entries! Congrats to everyone who finished!

8 Likes

Well hereā€™s all the CYStian entries.

1. The Sanguine and Blackbeardā€™s Cutlass by ninjapitka
    https://infinite-story.com/story/info.php?id=19895

2. Broken hunger by poisonmara
    https://infinite-story.com/story/info.php?id=19892

3. Land of the Setting Sun by TheChef
    https://infinite-story.com/story/info.php?id=19970

4. Pew by Corgi
    https://infinite-story.com/story/info.php?id=20197

5. Savages of the Sacred Salvage by Mizal
    https://infinite-story.com/story/info.php?id=20176

6. Blade of the Hollow by Camelon
    https://infinite-story.com/story/info.php?id=19951

Surprisingly got less of them flaking out than I thought over there. Unsurprisingly, most of them turned stuff in at the last moment. (And in one case, he labored under the delusion he still had 2 hours left lol.)

14 Likes

Thatā€™s great! And then weā€™ve got, from CoG:

1. ā€œAnd All Things Will Endā€ by Wannabe_Human: https://infinite-story.com/story/intro.php?id=19885

Am I missing any?

9 Likes

How is Mara not counting for our side?

2 Likes

Cys showed me support beta testing grammatical help. During two months with even a thread to help me proofreading. I canā€™t after all that support believing in me, present for another side.

2 Likes

whats this Cystians ???

1 Like

Cys is a similar Interactive fiction forum
http://chooseyourstory.com/

They have been very helpful and friendly with me and have a lot of great stories some made by Gower. I recommend going there even if there has been some animosity in the past but this is a contest to make peace and friends.

2 Likes

8 Likes

You can win I trust in you.

2 Likes

That made me laugh lol though you arenā€™t in direct competition against the others lol

The mod that rule them all is Gower :sweat_smile:

@poison_mara I think his picture represent more the fact he is the only participant representing COG, kinda feel lonely all by his lonesome .

But he isnā€™t alone, we are cheering for you @Wannabe_Human , you too Mara!

4 Likes

Hello!

I got zero response from my post in the thread, so I decided to make a new thread.

It is with great trepidation that I humbly request testers/proofreaders for my story. I acknowledge that the deadline is nigh, but I still must ask. The story is not yet complete, but only the final two endings are yet to be written. I am confident that it will be completed soon.

The story is medieval fantasy with a shadow of Lovecraftian horror standing over it. You play as an adventurer sent to a remote village in order to determine why their exports have ceased. What lies within?

I would be eternally grateful to anyone willing to read through what I have written so far, and give feedback on it. At this point it is far too late to fundamentally change any major aspects of the story, but I am greatly interested in what people like and dislike. PM me with your account name on infinite-story and Iā€™ll give you reading permissions. My account name on there is TheCharredScribe.

Fair warning; the story itself contains a bit of graphic violence. The Halloween spirit possessed me this month.

Once again, I sincerely appreciate any help that you may give.

6 Likes

How did Wannabeā€™s post wind up 2 days in the past?

1 Like

I guess it was moved here from another thread.

1 Like

Yep.

1 Like

A few people have mentioned that my story can be slightly confusing, so here I am posting what I hope is a good enough explanation. I will attempt to go through each segment, and explain it. Spoilers, obviously, and I recommend that you come up with your own interpretation of events first.

What happened in the village?

The villagers were influenced by the thoughts of the being underneath the town and in the mines, referred to as the Child. The Child is the fetus/baby of an ancient being known to us as the Second. The Child, being a baby, does not understand why it exists, and these thoughts leak out into the villagers. The villagers also find that they cannot rationalize why they would desire to continue life, and engage in a mass suicide.This is hinted at in the dream sequences.

What is going on with the dreams?

These, denoted by italicised text, are the dream sequences or, rather, the absorbed memories of those that came before. It is implied/revealed towards the end that your character is somewhat attuned to the psychic path, and these dreams are absorbed memories.
In the first dream sequence you play as the being that, whether directly or indirectly, was responsible for the creation of the Universe and the life inside it. This sequence mainly serves to set up the Universe and establish that the Universe is cold, uncaring, and generally apathetic toward life. Also, you may have noticed that if you choose the option to ā€œCreateā€, each option directly apes a theory of Creation.
The second dream sequence sees you looking through the eyes of the first being with life, hence it being referred to as the First. The First played a far more direct role in creating and shaping humanity. The First and the Second are NOT humans, but another species of life far more ancient. For a time all was peaceful, but disaster strikes when, by design or accident, tragedy strikes and Firstā€™s Lover, the Second, vanishes from this plane. This causes the First to grow detached/to despise humanity. Alternatively, he could have been trying to save them from feeling the sorrow that he felt. In the end, he kills them all, but they rebuild.
In the third dream sequence, you are in the body of the Second. The Second was wandering the far far edge of existence outside of the Universe, and is pregnant with the child of the union between it and the First. This is the Child that is found underneath the village, in the mines. That is, the one that caused the villagers to kill themselves. The Second gives birth to the Child but, one way or another, dies in the process. Humans eventually make their way to this plane. This is Earth.
The final vision is easy; you are seeing through the eyes of the Child itself. This is when you discover the reason for the death at the village. As previously stated, the Childā€™s thoughts and questions as to its existence bled into the minds of the villagers and when they could not come up with a satisfactory answer they either killed themselves or allowed themselves to be killed.

What happens to my character in the mines after they get lost?

Throughout the entirety of the adventure, the character has been slowly falling under the influence of the Child. When you become lost, it is so dark that you begin to question why you have eyes at all. Thus, you stab them out. Your character also undergoes a large amount of bodily transformations throughout this segment, though most of these are only hinted at.

What happens to my companion Aela?

Either you leave her to die, or you kill her after you stab out your eyes.

How do I get a good ending?

You donā€™t. There are three endings, and all of them result in the death of your character and varying amounts of other people.

What do the endings mean?

If you try to reason with the Child, you fail regardless of what you pick, succumb to its thoughts, and kill yourself. You manage to find peace in nonexistence.The epilogue reveals that a large platoon of soldiers are travelling to the village and some of them are also having strange thoughts. This is the influence of the Child, implying that what happened to you will also happen to this squad.
If you try to kill the Child and succeed, you leave the village and travel to a nearby large town. However, your body has been changed so much that you become a marvel to the medicine men and doctors, and it ends with you being dissected and investigated with the doctors commenting on how perfect you are. The word ā€œascensionā€ refers to being closer to god. The parallel there is clear.
If you feed the Child, you bolster its influence. Its thoughts spread throughout earth, and it results in the peaceful end to Humanity. The epilogue shows that life eventually does return. Maybe theyā€™ll do a bit better this time.

Okay, I think that covers the larger topics. Please ask me any other questions you may have.

7 Likes

I am glad that you have readers and they discuss your endings. That is a really good thing that means your writing has made an impression on them. So be proud of yourself and your work.

6 Likes

I hope to be able to anounce the top three games early this coming week! Thanks to everyone who entered!

8 Likes

Wow so this Contest is finally over canā€™t wait to read through all of the entries.
Also for those that dropped out please donā€™t be discouraged. If you were injoying what you were writting or you found it challenging thats all that matters. Continue writting if you want there will be plenty of folks that will love to read what you create

5 Likes