Choice of the Deathless: City's Thirst -- BETA TESTERS NEEDED

Choice of the Deathless: City’s Thirst is another Choice of Game title set in the Craftverse by Max Gladstone. It has shades of a weird western crossed with [i[Chinatown[/i].

Email me, jason AT choiceofgames for access. Please include your forumname. I would also prefer if you included your real name, but you don’t have to. Make sure to mention which game you’re requesting access to.

I will send you a link, a username, and a password.

Return feedback TO ME. Preferably part of the same thread, rather than a new email.

I’m looking for “high level” and “low level” feedback. Not mid-level feedback.

Low-level = typos and continuity errors. A continuity error is when a character’s gender flips, or someone comes back from the dead, or you run into a plotline that just doesn’t make sense (because it’s probably a coding error).

For these low-level issues, SCREENSHOTS are VERY HELPFUL. If you see a problem, take a screenshot, or copy and paste the text that is in error, and email that. Also, the “BUG” button is great; but if you use BUG, make sure to say in your email who you are, so I can give you credit for the report.

“High level” feedback has to do with things like plot, pacing, and characters. “Scene A didn’t work for me because x, y, and z,” is useful feedback. “B character was entirely unsympathetic, because u, w, and v,” is also useful feedback.

“I had a great time and saw only a few spelling errors,” is not useful feedback. In fact, it’s the sort of thing that results in you not being given access to future betas.

Mid-level feedback, which I don’t want, is about grammar. The sort of thing that, if the author made the error in the first place, is unlikely to be able to fix themselves.

3 Likes

Man, I’d love to test this, but something I’ve learned about myself is that I’m a terrible tester. I can never remember to actually submit notes.

1 Like

Woo! Hope I sent that early enough.

Email sent.
(Why do I always feel nervous when I offer to help?)

Email has been sent.

Hey folks, you don’t actually need to say you’ve sent an email. You don’t have to post on this thread at all.

@Fantom Think of it this way, if you wait until the release and don’t beta-test you get a finished game. It’ll be less buggy and more fun to play and you can concentrate on having fun and not picking out all the errors and making notes while playing. :slight_smile: Beta-testing isn’t for everyone.

You meant like, using Email us in the contact section of choiceofgames right? …
Edit: right indeed. Ah, it has been a while since I helped with a beta, so I’m looking forward to this :smile:

Wait…
Did I send the email to the right person?
Now I wish I had a semi decent memory.

Edit: Yea I did nvm

E-mail sent. Now I’ll just have to cross my fingers and toes and hope it’s better than the first one. (Which I loved on the first playthrough and absolutely loathed on the second one.)

Email sent - this could be interesting…

Hmm wouldn’t it be easier to have them private message you then share the info also if so I want in that way because the email on my phone is messed up.

@Generikb

Short answer. No.

Longer answer. No, it’s not more convenient, or easier. In fact it’d be one huge pain. If you can’t use email then you can’t beta-test the games. You’re expected to write some extensive feedback on the games you test.

The private message system on the forums is for the users on the forum. As per the rules the Choice of Games staff much prefer communication via email.

[quote=“system, post:1, topic:5”]
I very much prefer if you communicate with me using regular email rather than the forum mail system. [/quote]

There’s a lot of reasons why the forum messaging system wouldn’t work. One of those is most of the official choice of games authors aren’t on the forums. All beta-test feedback gets forwarded to them. This is done via email.

Anyway lots of reasons. I’m afraid you’re going to have to sort out your email if you want to be able to participate.

1 Like

There’s a new draft up, addressing a bunch of the basic typos.

Understood but ehh a man can hope right okay I’ll see also will there be a problem if in typing from my phone?

If you can play the game, make notes while doing so, and write and submit extensive feedback on your phone then I can’t see a problem. I’m sure that there’s others who do beta-testing from their phones. (I know there’s some people who even use their phones to write games.)

I always beta from mobile devices, so there is no problem at all. You even could take photos about mistakes or where you want add a choice .

1 Like

Okay thanks I should have it sorted out in a few days when I stop working doubles but okay.

There’s a new draft up.

1 Like