Almost finished have a question!

Hello! So, I have a two quick questions regarding the project that I’ve been working on with a friend. We are almost done, one scene left to write up.

My questions:

1. As we prepare to throw this into the forums for testing before it goes to Hosted Games submissions, I have to admit that I am clueless on how to actually… do that…? So, if anyone could point me in the right direction for uploading the WIP for testing, that would be great!

2. This is part one of a series. I’ve played a hosted games that is a series and had enabled saved content to move from one book to the next. If anyone has any ideas about that, I am all ears! I’ve attempted to look it up, but have fallen short on an answer.

Thank you all so so much! I’m super excited to get this through testing :slight_smile:

Sincerely,

Siryn

6 Likes

You can upload your game’s demo onto Dashingdon.com and linking the demo to the first post.

And the save system is only implemented once the sequel is 80% complete, so it’ll be a while before you can discuss this with the CoG staff as they are the ones who implement this.

5 Likes

Oh excellent! Thank you so much! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi,

Congrats on your progress of the project!

How to do testing via forums

You can either do public testing, private testing, or a mixture of both. Most authors, I’d wager, use a mixture of both.

• For Public:

• Click on New Topic in the right hand corner.
    • Choose the hosted games/work in progress category
    • Include relevant information (summary, word count, specific type of feedback, etc.) in the first post.
    • And that should be it for public testing. You can click around the WIP category and look at other threads to get an idea if you want to know more.
  • For Private:

• You could use the same thread (public one) and put out a call for private beta testers to provide specific feedback (see Malin’s post here to get an idea)
    • Alternatively you could decide to do only a private beta test but use the forum to simply ask for beta testers (such as this one)

Save System

@rose-court beat me to the punch for one way to implement a save system. Another way is described in this wiki article.

Best of luck!

11 Likes

Re: a save system for demo purposes, I believe dashingdon has its own system that’s just a few lines of code and checkmark whenever you upload your files.

Gimme a sec to double check this, actually, lol.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for your reply! We are super excited to toss this out to you all in the forums and see how it goes :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yep, here we go!

I would also suggest looking at the opening posts of some of the most popular games on the forum to see what makes for a good and detailed opening post.

You don’t have to be as detailed to start (if you check the orange pencil button at the top right of these posts you can see what they originally looked like and how they’ve transformed over time).

Lastly, here’s some documentation on how to implement things like lists, summaries, headers and so on for a more organized and clean OP.

And if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask. We’ll all do our best to answer you!

Good luck on your project! :heart:

9 Likes

Thank you soooo much!!! I will take a look at those to get an idea on how to present our game when it’s ready! (Should be soon, the last scene is almost finished!! Hoping to finish it tomorrow). Everyone who has answered here (and in the past with my coding stumbles) has been so wonderful. Thank you again!

<3 ^.^

5 Likes