All this Prodigal love

I was so disappointed that I couldn’t save Prodigal’s life and live with her forever in perfect crazy love. (Unless there is a way, and I failed to find it?) A stone-cold psychopath in love is impossible in our reality - but why question the ability of someone terribly broken to find a soulmate when you already have people running around using superpowers?

I’m more than a little broken, and crazy/cold/soulless/criminal is my favorite type of character. The fantasy is that someone crazier than me could understand me, bring more thrill into my life, and I could expose a more human side of them in return. And, of course, it’s much easier and safer to enjoy that in theory than in practice. For further reading, check out the term hybristophilia and the related studies about the role of violent fantasy in maintaining a healthy psyche… but that is a whole different discussion.

TLDR - in Little Red Riding Hood, the wolf trying to devour grandma is not a wolf, it is a symbol. Characters are partially symbols, and what they do in stories is not always a literal translation of what this means in real life. This always disturbed me about superhero cartoons as a kid - that when the hero punched someone, it wasn’t violence, it was justice; that when the building fell and they saved the falling woman, that someone else may have been inside and overlooked. You need to be able to suspend yourself from reality and its consequences to enjoy that part of the story.

To bring in another game, I recently played Tin Star about ten times. Around my seventh playthrough, I complained, “I love this game, but the person I’m lusting over more than anyone else is Preston! Why can’t I date him??” And then realized I could, and was fangirl-ing all over the place. Oh Preston, with your morals of an alleycat and your fancy clothes. sigh :heartpulse:

Why do people love the Joker?

There’s your reason. She’s killed plenty of people. Doesn’t make her any less awesome.

And, personally, I’d want to help ANYONE turn over a new leaf if I can.

1 Like

This is from 2014. This is part of the new Zachary Sergei game. Coincidence??

I was so sad when she died. I was happy when she showed back up as an AI personality. If she somehow were brought back into the sequel more, i.e. resurrected, I would hate it. Undoing the past makes me angry, once the author has bothered to make me feel so deeply about someone.

I imagine it would be for a lot of people. :grinning: It probably helps the Team Prodigal fans that they’re fictional people.

People who experience psychosis may have lucid moments or even long rational periods between psychotic episodes, where they can plan things perfectly rationally. And being emotionally crippled has nothing to do with logic; empathy is distinct from rationality, which is distinct from a tendency towards cruel and/or antisocial behavior. For some real fun, visualize them as distinct sliders, play around with extremes, and think how a character with unusual combinations would act. Like a sadistic psychotic with unusually high empathy. I think our dinosaur-loving darling would be a rational, fun-loving, empathetic, psychotic, near-sociopath (Hare’s definition.)

1 Like

The line ‘You are not ready for this jelly’ was originally said by Prodigal in HeroFall during the romance scene in Gay Gardens. It just so happens that Jelly Kelly uses it later in THP:Redemption Season. In hindsight it’s a bit odd to have two unrelated people make the same joke. Perhaps it’s a more common saying in-universe or MeChip Prodigal made the same joke and JK picked it up as well. Who knows.

1 Like

Holy crap @Sashira. That post is almost two years old. I don’t even remember what I was talking about anymore.

Regardless it’s just completely implausible to me that a character with who was a lot more sane than her could possibly orchestrate all the events that she did. The fact that she was as detached from reality as she seemed to be makes it just absurd.

I am totally not responsible for this. :innocent: My idea was completely different. I did not suggest turning Prodigal into a MeChip. :wink:

6 Likes

Welcome back @FairyGodfeather :tada:

1 Like

“I just miss Prodigal.”

3 Likes

That’s… Brilliant!!

i think in third game when we go inside Prodigal mind there is a memory of her mother trying to teach her to use her power by killing her… i don’t think she really understand how important life is :joy:
P/s : poor english,sorry

Prodigal is definitely an interesting character, well-developed and multi-layered, but I was never able to truly see her as a romantic option mostly due to the fact that my MC tends to be a highly moral and ethical person.

2 Likes

i personally like Prodigal more than Black Magic or Lucky…
Black Magic is selfish and can be a bitch sometime and Lucky is too anime - like

While Prodigal is certainly an interesting character, she’s way lower than everyone else on the moral scale. BM’s selfishness and moments of being a jerk and Lucky’s boringness are dwarfed by Prodigal being a psychopathic killer. I’ve never understood why some people try to whitewash her.

5 Likes

Still has more character than the ones in Redemption Season…

9 Likes

if you like some of us - Joker lover
you would probably understand why we like Prodigal so much :joy:
P/s : Poor English,sorry

i grew attached to my old character and Prodigal so much that i even cry when Prodigal die,guess i should’ve expect that ending

1 Like

I love Prodigal because she’s a psychopath. Yes, she has other attractive qualities (a sense of humor, a good head for tactical planning) but that’s the first one that caught my eye. If she were moral, she wouldn’t be Prodigal.

Other people have their own versions of fun, I date fictional mass murderers. It’s a hobby I enjoy.

7 Likes

you and i we have the same hobby=)))

Just try not to do that physically. Somehow I don’t think that would end well.

I have no problem with it. At all. My first thought after she appeared was if there was a way to stop being a hero and become a mass murderer together with her… My dreams came true in HeroFall. I killed pretty much everyone I could, romanced prodigal, and was very sad to see her die at the end.