A Witch In Suburbia (DROPPED)

So good news: I’ve finally gotten a new laptop! Bad news: I am way way behind schedule and with school starting again less than a month away and thanks to how long it took me to get a laptop (and all the stress I’ve been through because of all that), I now don’t have a clue when a demo may come :frowning_face:

In the past couple months since my last post, I’ve refined the lore but haven’t gotten it all organized in my actual notes yet, so I’ll be working on that first. I’m expanding a little on how magic and spirits affect the world because I feel like it was too minor at first

Main characters have been developed some more and honestly I think I’m going to redo the current profiles for them entirely because I made them so messy and hard to read last time and I have a few side characters figured out (one I kind of want give a bigger role and make into an RO but then I’d have to make more ROs to keep the numbers available even-ish. I’ll be thinking about it at least)

Plot-wise, this may be an unpopular choice, but after a lot of thought, I’m making it much more mellow than my original idea. I’ve wanted it to be very character driven and about how the experience of life in a new city, college, etc affects the MC and also originally had the idea of the MC resolving a fight between two major spirits. I’m keeping the spirits as characters but changing their roles and taking out the little turf war thing because I found that plot point to be very weak since there’s not much motivation for the MC to even take part in it. Also, with the focus on the normal daily life and with how limited magic originally was in the physical world in my original outline, it just didn’t really mesh at all. With the adjustments I’ve made to magic, it may work better, but I still don’t feel like it would do enough to affect the MC’s internal growth. I’m personally not a fan of using something like the ‘chosen one’ trope since I feel like, on its own anyway, it’s not a strong enough motivation for the MC to meddle with supernatural affairs and also because it’s not really truly world threatening or anything

On the actual writing that I’ve done already (not much, thankfully), I’m keeping the idea of how the story is set up and all, but I’m scrapping the actual writing part entirely because I reread it and just don’t think the quality of the writing was very good and I could do better now

I need an adaptor thingy to get my tablet plugged into my laptop (which is super annoying. Apple, why did you have to change the usb ports??? :tired_face:) but I’m going to try to get one soon. I want to draw stuff and possibly get started brainstorming ideas for a cover image soon (it’s a bit soon, but might as well do it now instead of waiting until the end because, knowing me, I’d just keep procrastinating on it forever). I’ve been wanting to maybe include some artwork in the actual game (not much, just maybe once every few chapters) but that’ll be decided probably when I’ve actually finished writing and when I can figure out if I actually have the time to do that

14 Likes

Yes, there will be various types of magic but it’s shown mainly through other characters in the story and I’m thinking of ways to let the MC can develop their style along the way. I’m still at the stage where I’m trying to narrow down what types to use so it’s not too all over the place. Some of the NPCs so far include a sea witch, a green witch, a kitchen witch, and a very minor character who’s a spirit worker so there will definitely be those. I’m keeping it all secular and avoiding real-life religions though to avoid stepping on anyone’s toes

I’m keeping the MC’s familiar as a consistent character, but I think changing the way it interacts with the MC/adding additional quirks depending on what type of witchcraft the MC favors would be an interesting idea. There will also be at least a few other witches’ familiars that can be encountered

I’ve decided on having the MC be a college student. I don’t know about giving the MC a permanent job, or at least one that’s actually interesting and impacts the story in any way, but one of the RO’s works at his family’s magic shop and I want to also give the MC a chance to get close to his grandmother, the owner and I’ve been tossing around ideas about what little odd jobs the MC can do. One of the other RO’s will be xer uncle’s business, which I have ideas for but nothing solid yet, but xer uncle is nonmagical so I’ve thought about having the MC do something there

Also, you seem to be new here so you probably don’t know, but I’m pretty sure it’s actually against the rules to post on WIP threads that have been inactive for a while (I think it’s 30 days but I can’t figure out where it says so anymore) It’s just to keep people from reviving abandoned WIPs. This one isn’t abandoned, I’m just really busy from school and don’t really have the energy to put into it at the moment :cry:

5 Likes

Oh sorry about that mine did say anything about not posting. It sounds really awesome tho, so I look forward to what you have in store :blush:🖒

1 Like

Hey, sorry for the radio silence. Popping back in to say, unfortunately, I’m choosing to scrap Witch in Suburbia. The plot before I started trying to revamp it is just not very compelling for me, and there’s a lot of parts to the setting and lore that I don’t feel like I can work with well

I’ve gotten very attached to the characters though, and I’ve already started brainstorming ideas for a different story that they, plus maybe at least a few concepts from Witch in Suburbia, could fit into. It’s in its very beginning stages though, so it’ll be a long time before I make a post for it, but it’s something I definitely want to do, and I feel like I could figure it out better than I could with Witch in Suburbia. Already, the plot ideas I have are way more solid. It’s definitely too different to call it a Witch in Suburbia 2.0, though

So to everyone who was looking forward to this, I’m very sorry. The new idea I want to try is also going to be a modern fantasy, though in a different way from Witch in Suburbia, and, if anyone here is also on the discord, I mentioned it briefly the other day. Thank you for supporting Witch in Suburbia, even though most of it was just me kicking a dead horse for months. I can’t say when I’ll get my new idea started up and I want to get a lot more work on it done than I did when I made this thread, but I hope people enjoy it as well ;w;

(@moderators Can you please lock this thread? Thank you!)

5 Likes