The Witch's Necklace (WIP)

Hello everyone! I’m making a new interactive fiction, The Witch’s Necklace for Heart’s Choice! After Moonrise, I’m going in a new direction of solarpunk near-future dystopia with magic and kisses and all sorts of odd. I wanted to make a post to a) let y’all know and b) keep me accountable. :smile: :sunny: :cactus:

:sunny: The Pitch (so far) :cactus:

In a world where magic is money and money is power, you have never wanted for anything. Fresh out of mage academy, your only concern should be what to wear to the next high society event—until a mysterious (and mysteriously attractive) thief steals a dangerous heirloom necklace, your family names you their Champion for the upcoming Tournament to control the city, and marriage proposals knock on the door. La Ciudad calls out to you, from its dingy alleyways to its crystal-decked ballrooms. Conduct a clandestine investigation: will you hack your way through the city, flash your cash, or magically bend reality to your whims? What will you believe in: the laws that guide society, or the radical politics of the dispossessed? Will you romance the helpmate your mother approves of, confess your love to the beautiful techno-mage who believes in order, fall for the rebel allure of the criminal, or be seduced by the enigma of the city’s guardian? If you win the Tournament—and that’s a big if—what future will you guide La Ciudad toward? Will you even survive La Ciudad—and will La Ciudad survive you?

:sunny: Cool features :cactus:

• Play with he/him, she/her, or they/them pronouns.
  • Romance the cute jack-of-all-trades, the nervous techno-mage, the dazzling thief, or mysterious Guardian
  • Discover the dark secrets of La Ciudad’s history and the festering corruption of today
  • Fight for your family’s right to rule the People’s House
  • Favor the bloodflow of magic or the circuitry of the new age
  • Embark on 15 different dates, from museums and beaches to jewel heists and water treatment plants (yes, really).
  • Adventures in Not Disappointing Your Mother Or She Will Make Sad Faces At You aka get that necklace before someone burns to death purposefully on accident

:sunny: Current Status :cactus:

• Writing Chapter 6
  • More words than I’ve written in my life
  • Up next: Writing Gloria’s date :cookie:
  • Currently listening to “Celoso” by Lele Pons

First Chapter Demo here ~ Hooray!

More Fun Stuff!

Aesthetics

Green Aesthetic

Yellow Aesthetic

Romance Options

Ziya al-Asturlabiyy

Summary

• Pronouns: he/him
  • Personality: down-to-earth, level-headed, and anxious :thinking:
  • Job: Environmental Engineer/techno-mage :earth_americas:
  • Secret: he wants a dog :dog:
  • Fun fact: he would be a huge CoG fan and work to get all achievements in all games. That’s how big of a nerd he is! :video_game:

Gloria Ortiz

Summary

• Pronouns: ey/em
  • Personality: resilient and sweet :candy:
  • Job: Freelancer mage :sparkles:
  • Secret: loves baseball :baseball:
  • Fun fact: Ey is hard of hearing and really enjoys going to concerts with sign language interpreters! :notes:

Pearl ???

Summary

• Pronouns: she/her
  • Personality: mischievous risk-taker :smirk:
  • Job: Socialite :dancer:
  • Secret: definitely didn’t steal your necklace whaaaaaaat why do you ask :gem:
  • Fun fact: There’s no rule she’d wouldn’t love to break :facepunch:

Tara

Summary

• Pronouns: Player determinant - he/him, she/her, they/them
  • Personality: sugar and ice :ice_cube:
  • Job: the Guardian :evergreen_tree:
  • Secret: keeps alive an avocado orchard outside of La Ciudad :avocado:
  • Fun fact: will sing to plants to encourage them to grow strong :seedling:

Many thanks for the Picrew artist! The Picrew is here, and the artist’s twitter is here.

Other Characters

Tiffany LaBelle

• Personality: The extrovert, and that is a threat :left_speech_bubble:
  • Job: Socialite :champagne:
  • Secret: has stolen the last cookie in the cookie jar :cookie:
  • Fun fact: She’s so good with faces and names that she’s never had to refer to a book’s character list, even if said book was A Song of Ice and Fire or Kushiel’s Legacy :open_book:

Keep up with me through my monthly newsletter. Play my sapphic werewolf game Moonrise here.

164 Likes

Oh how exciting! This sounds so cool, best of luck with the project!

4 Likes

This sounds interesting. Good luck with this project. I’m sure it’ll end up being magic

Sorry…couldn’t resist…

4 Likes

@HannahPS @Nocturnal_Stillness Thank you! And I love the joke! :joy:

1 Like

Oh! This is so exciting! I can’t wait to play it.

4 Likes

Heart’s Choice wasn’t my cup of tea up until now, but this seems promising!
May I ask what genders are the ROs? Or maybe they’re gender selectable?

1 Like

This sold me completely on the concept. Not gonna lie.

5 Likes

Sounds super interesting! Can’t wait to play!

Another one by Natalie, and it’s for heart’s choice? I hope one of her ro’s will catch me as I swoon!

Thank you, @Konoi for the question! It inspired me to get on making some Picrews! There are four romance options: a man, a woman, a nonbinary person, and a gender selectable choice.

Many thanks for the Picrew artist! The Picrew is here, and the artist’s twitter is here.

Ziya al-Asturlabiyy

Summary

• Pronouns: he/him
  • Personality: down-to-earth, level-headed, and anxious :thinking:
  • Job: Environmental Engineer/techno-mage :earth_americas:
  • Secret: he wants a dog :dog:
  • Fun fact: he would be a huge CoG fan and work to get all achievements in all games. That’s how big of a nerd he is! :video_game:

Gloria Ortiz

Summary

• Pronouns: ey/em
  • Personality: resilient and sweet :candy:
  • Job: Freelancer mage :sparkles:
  • Secret: loves baseball :baseball:
  • Fun fact: Ey is hard of hearing and really enjoys going to concerts with sign language interpreters! :notes:

Pearl ???

Summary

• Personality: mischievous risk-taker :smirk:
  • Job: Socialite :dancer:
  • Secret: definitely didn’t steal your necklace whaaaaaaat why do you ask :gem:
  • Fun fact: There’s no rule she’d wouldn’t love to break :facepunch:

Tara

Summary

• Pronouns: Player determinant - he/him, she/her, they/them
  • Personality: sugar and ice :ice_cube:
  • Job: the Guardian :evergreen_tree:
  • Secret: keeps alive an avocado orchard outside of La Ciudad :avocado:
  • Fun fact: will sing to plants to encourage them to grow strong :seedling:

They will definitely catch up @Lycanthromorphic! Thank you @Barb and @K_T for the well-wishes! I’ll try to live up to expectations, haha. @Nocturnal_Stillness Excellent. :joy:

8 Likes

They are so sweet! I love Tara!

3 Likes

Very pretty Artwork, they all look marvelous

2 Likes

Finally an interesting hearts choice game I wish you best of luck :sparkles:

2 Likes

Hey now, hey now, I appreciate the support, but no need to put down the other Heart’s Choice titles like that. They’re awesome games that I can only pray to hold a candle to. I beta-tested both Dawnfall and Never Date Werewolves, regular played A Player’s Heart and awarded them 5 out of 5 stars on Goodreads (link, link, link) and the Interactive Fiction Database. I gave Jazz Age a whirl and the writing is meticulously fantastic, though the story not to my taste. D. Chaudron is one of my favorite interactive fiction authors ever, and I beta’d If It Please the Court and have it on my Steam Wishlist.

If you like the sound of The Witch’s Necklace, I’d suggest giving Dawnfall (portal sci-fi dystopia with wild outfits and cute aliens) and Never Date Werewolves (domestic werewolf parenting sim with surprising political depth) another go. Enjoy! Smooch! Destroy the hegemony!

9 Likes

This one made me so emotional and it was the most wonderful feeling having some sort of personal connection with the story.

I enjoyed Moonrise and I believe your writing is just as good as those, so don’t get too down on yourself, have faith that everything will come together. I’m sure more than just I have enjoyed your writing, and after you finish this one, I’m sure you’ll have even more who enjoy your writing.

3 Likes

Interesting let see where this goes

1 Like

It wasn’t my intention to put down other hearts choice games I do apologize
What makes them repetitive to me is that they mostly focus on easy romance that doesn’t really build up over time.
I’m sorry if I came off as rude and I’ll continue to support your wip.

2 Likes

Thank you for the apology and sorry I bit your head off a little. I’ve read too many “this game doesn’t conform to my very specific tastes and therefore it’s bad” posts lately. :confounded:

@Lycanthromorphic Ahhh, you’re much too kind. Thank you! A Player’s Heart is just [chef’s kiss]. The fencing scene with Celeine was :fire: :fire: :fire: and Myrr is :heart_eyes: :revolving_hearts: :cupid: !!!

And thank you to @Canix ! There will be vampires and werewolves in this universe, but super low-key in the background…I will miss those nerds, but I’m also happy to give mages time to shine!

2 Likes

Mage as the same as mage the ascension or you have something different in mind @NMCannon ?

I didn’t intentionally borrow concepts from Mage: the Ascension (or the Awakened). I haven’t read any Mage books or played it. My interaction with that game line has been limited to encountering a mage during a VtM Chronicle and the few in VtM - Night Road. BUT the WN characters do fiddle with the fabric of reality, and I’ve been given to understand that’s kind of what the mages in World of Darkness do too. Another good comparison would be Wanda Maximoff from Marvel Comics.

I want to read an MtA sourcebook eventually to see if it would be a good comparative title. Comp titles are super useful for marketing and giving potential players a quick gist of the game. Got any recs? The latest one is like, an anniversary edition, right? I’ve seen fans asking when MtA, 5th edition is coming out.

1 Like