Hello everyone! I’m making a new interactive fiction, The Witch’s Necklace for Heart’s Choice! After Moonrise, I’m going in a new direction of solarpunk near-future dystopia with magic and kisses and all sorts of odd. I wanted to make a post to a) let y’all know and b) keep me accountable.
The Pitch (so far)
In a world where magic is money and money is power, you have never wanted for anything. Fresh out of mage academy, your only concern should be what to wear to the next high society event—until a mysterious (and mysteriously attractive) thief steals a dangerous heirloom necklace, your family names you their Champion for the upcoming Tournament to control the city, and marriage proposals knock on the door. La Ciudad calls out to you, from its dingy alleyways to its crystal-decked ballrooms. Conduct a clandestine investigation: will you hack your way through the city, flash your cash, or magically bend reality to your whims? What will you believe in: the laws that guide society, or the radical politics of the dispossessed? Will you romance the helpmate your mother approves of, confess your love to the beautiful techno-mage who believes in order, fall for the rebel allure of the criminal, or be seduced by the enigma of the city’s guardian? If you win the Tournament—and that’s a big if—what future will you guide La Ciudad toward? Will you even survive La Ciudad—and will La Ciudad survive you?
- Play with he/him, she/her, or they/them pronouns.
- Romance the cute jack-of-all-trades, the nervous techno-mage, the dazzling thief, or mysterious Guardian
- Discover the dark secrets of La Ciudad’s history and the festering corruption of today
- Fight for your family’s right to rule the People’s House
- Favor the bloodflow of magic or the circuitry of the new age
- Embark on 15 different dates, from museums and beaches to jewel heists and water treatment plants (yes, really).
- Adventures in Not Disappointing Your Mother Or She Will Make Sad Faces At You aka get that necklace before someone burns to death purposefully on accident
- Just finished coding Chapter 1
- 14,000 out of 110,000 words
- To-do: write Ch2, code Ch2, make a demo
- Currently listening to “Montero (Call Me By Your Name)” by Lil Nas X on repeat
No demo yet, but I do have some other fun stuff ~
- Pronouns: he/him
- Gender: cis pansexual, panromantic
- Personality: down-to-earth, level-headed, and anxious
- Job: Environmental Engineer/techno-mage
- Status: PC’s best friend
- Secret: he wants a dog
- Fun fact: he would be a huge CoG fan and work to get all achievements in all games. That’s how big of a nerd he is!
- Pronouns: ey/em
- Gender: trans agender, panromantic
- Personality: resilient and sweet
- Job: Freelancer mage
- Status: PC’s tutor for the Tournament
- Secret: loves baseball
- Fun fact: Ey is hard of hearing and really enjoys going to concerts with sign language interpreters!
- Pronouns: she/her
- Gender: cis bisexual, biromantic
- Personality: mischievous risk-taker
- Job: Socialite
- Status: Marriage candidate
- Secret: definitely didn’t steal your necklace whaaaaaaat why do you ask
- Fun fact: There’s no rule she’d wouldn’t love to break
- Pronouns: Player determinant - he/him, she/her, they/them
- Gender: ???
- Personality: sugar and ice
- Job: the Guardian
- Status: Marriage Candidate???
- Secret: keeps alive an avocado orchard outside of La Ciudad
- Fun fact: will sing to plants to encourage them to grow strong