A Witch In Suburbia (DROPPED)

Hello! Apologies for the lack of updates these past few weeks, school has been kicking my ass ;o;

[details=TLDR: Demo postponed until maybe mid-July thanks to school, personal projects, and possibly a family trip]
I haven’t been able to get very much progress done because so much of my time has just been dedicated to school and unfortunately that means the demo will probably be pushed back from April, and I have an older project that I’ve been planning for a really long time that I’ll need to work on after school is out (admittedly it’s a cosplay… But I will be working on this at the same time!) and then I have a trip to Vietnam planned with my mom in June, and while I would have wifi, it wouldn’t be very good. If I do go to Vietnam though, I would have a lot of time to work since I’ll be staying with my and and I’ll likely be spending nearly all of my time hanging out inside with the fan on because it’ll be hot and humid as hell out. With all that, I should probably be able to get a demo out maybe late June to mid July depending on when my mom books the trip and I’ll have a lot of time to work more on it throughout the summer[/details]

I just finished up my first large-ish project for school this week though, and with midterms coming up in two weeks, I just want to put out a mini progress report while I can (even though it’s 1 AM right now at least where I am and most people who frequent this forum are likely asleep or something)

All put under cuts because, wow they are wordy

[details=Story/Timeline]So I’ve determined that I do want to have the mc be a student, but I don’t know how big of a role it should play. Should it be a central part to the story, like in Community College Hero, or should it be kind of a side plot to the main spirit conflict? If it was a side plot, should the player have the option to not be a student and instead be working full or part time? My main concern about having it be a central part of the plot is how well could I have it mesh with the spirit conflict? What is the mc concerned about regarding school, other than passing their classes of course?

Also, I originally planned to have the story start in early January and end in late December. However with mc being a student, while it definitely happens irl, it feels weird, story-wise, to start with their Spring semester (I’d be using the semester system since I have no idea how the quarter system goes), have their Summer break, and then end at the end of their Fall semester. However, if I began it in the Fall, it would feel just as weird to have the story end at the end of the Summer, since I want the story to span a year. Which timeline would be preferred, beginning of the year to the end, or early Fall to late Summer?[/details]

[details=Stats]Right now I’m still not solid on what stats to do. Ones I’m considering are charisma and determination and right now I’m not sure what else may be applicable to the story

One I definitely want to use is fatigue, which will be able to rise and lower throughout various parts of the game. This stat will be affecting the mc’s success rates in both school and magic. Other than how hard or easy it makes tasks, I’d also like to have a few extra lines in some scenes describing the mc’s fatigue, probably things like “You find it hard to focus. You should probably be getting more rest” and different dialogue

With that, I may have a Magical stat and Academic stat? I’m not sure if they should be separate or ‘versus’ stats (I forgot what they’re actually called). If I make them separate, I think it would be difficult to get both of them high (I’d say above 60%) in the same playthrough[/details]

[details=Characters (SUPER LONG)]I’m still working on figuring out the names for the side characters and also the locations. For what are supposed to be the main characters, a lot of the roles have been small so far so I need to figure out ways to make their roles more central to the plot and also flesh them out more

The three primary spirits are a sea spirit, mountain spirit (changed from forest), and the spirit of the city, all currently unnamed. While none of them are old or powerful enough to be considered gods, they’re each the de-facto leader of their respective domains. The sea spirit (she/her pronouns) is mischievous and unpredictable while the mountain spirit (they/them pronouns) is very stoic. I have an idea of the city’s nature in my head, however I’m having trouble putting it into the right words and, as of now, it’s not quite set in stone like the other two are

Also, I’ve been referring to the city in my notes and in my head as an ‘it’ since, while it’s a sentient being, it’s not a person. Rather than the city being nonbinary/agender, since those are identities, the gender would be more like ‘not applicable’. Would that be appropriate at all? If not, I’d be happy to give the city spirit they/them pronouns instead

With the ROs, I’m not happy right now with the roles they’re playing. Right now, they’re rather flat and are very minor to the main story, so after working out the main storyline, fleshing them out and giving them better roles in the story is my second priority. Adding little blurbs for each of them below becauseeeee… tbh I just want to talk about them

Sam won’t be a student like the other ROs and the MC and will instead be working for xer uncle’s business (that I still need to determine) and is thinking of going back to school and starting college in the next year or two. Xe is a bit air-headed and jumpy, but hard working and optimistic. Xe cares a lot about the MC both as a friend and as a love interest and xe has been crushing on the MC for years but was always too shy to act on it

Emmet is very introverted and likes to keep to himself. The MC would see him around school, but will most likely be meeting him in his family’s shop. As for the field he’s studying, something involving biology would be an obvious choice since he’s a green witch, but I’m still undecided. Bit tough to determine his personality exactly outside of ‘shy’

Liz is outgoing and very expressive and kind of geeky (as in the cartoons + comic books + probably video games geek). She’s an art student, probably going into something like illustration or concept design. Admittedly, she’s kind of based on some of my friends and classmates. Working on making her into her own character and not just ‘generic art student’

Also, the three of them should somehow be at least be a bit involved in helping MC with the spirit conflict

Various other side characters need names, so if anyone has something they want to see used, just throw it out and I might use it. The MC also needs name examples, male, female, and unisex. The toughest name to figure out honestly is Sam’s uncle’s name because every Vietnamese male name I can find is taken by a relative or family friend of mine’s and it feels weird to have a character with the same name as a person I know[/details]

Tbh that was much less ‘mini’ than originally intended but I might as well get this info out right now before midterms kill me :,) Next update, whenever that may be, I’ll hopefully have enough story details figured out to do some real writing. Also, if any other questions come up, feel free to ask. I’ll be watching movies this weekend to get a feel of the atmosphere I want to go for since I finally have the time. I borrowed my friend’s Kiki’s Delivery Service and Ponyo (that one is mainly to get an idea of what the sea spirits look/move like) weeks ago and really should give them back soon. I’ll also be drawing this weekend since it’s a lot easier for me to do things when I have a proper image of my ideas. The game probably won’t feature much art, but I’ll be posting doodle dumps here probably

8 Likes

Also, since I am an actual witch myself (kinda new at it though) I’m thinking of making actually usable spells to incorporate in the story

3 Likes

Minor harmless ones I assume?

Don’t want you getting sued over someone accidentally (or “accidently”) hexing their pet or the school bully. :grin:

Joking aside, I’m looking forward to see what you’ll have for us.

1 Like

Of course :stuck_out_tongue: Though tbh curses may get mentioned but I won’t put an actual curse in because I don’t want to put up with anyone to go to me telling me I’m evil for it bc that’s just annoying

Also thanks :smiley:

1 Like

I think Academic/Magic would work better as separate stats.

Also, I guessed from your descriptions of the characters’ magic styles that you were a witch yourself, heh.

1 Like

It’s open again! I’m so happy! :grin:

2 Likes

No one’s asked that yet. I didn’t think to include it but I should go back in my notes and add it in

No, witches don’t have to be hidden. I wouldn’t say that most people can use magic (by interacting with magic I mean things like having spells cast on them or using enchanted objects and things like that), but magic is pretty common. How people feel about it personally is pretty varied, even among witches, though in this setting people are pretty lax (honestly so I can avoid another subplot lol)

There’s kind of a witch community but it’s not very cohesive. Things mostly depend on local customs and beliefs. Covens and similar groups exist and there are definitely at least a few in the city MC is in, but they won’t be joining one, at least there aren’t any plans for them to, since I want to focus on their individual journey (and also bc this is also becoming a lot bigger of a project than originally anticipated and I don’t think I want to have to figure out that dynamic as well)

5 Likes

Ooh, gotcha. That’s actually pretty cool, especially the part about how even witches have mixed feelings about their magic; would it be possible to choose how your protagonist feels about their ability?

In a way? With how the MC could feel about magic, I’ve mostly focused on ethics however I could add in how they feel about using magic themselves. It wouldn’t really be strong negative feelings toward practicing though since they are choosing to do that (there are people who have magic but don’t use it), but there could definitely be resentment or something similar for how spirits and other magic things interfere with their life. On the flip side, they could also possibly be indifferent, think of it as a gift, etc

As for their ethics, I have a scene planned for early on on dealing with a minor invasive spirit. Mc will have several options how how to deal with it and how they feel about doing it/how they feel about the spirit being in their home. It’s also supposed to serve as almost a preview for when they get swept up in the whole thing with the Sea, Forest, and City spirits. I also wanted a bit where they deal with a curse but I’m not sure of how my original idea would fit in since it’s more of a ‘side quest’ type of deal than something that’s directly related to the main plot so I’ll probably be either changing it or taking it out entirely

3 Likes

Okay so it’s been a super long time since I last posted anything and I’m finally out of school and have the time to work on this. Unfortunately since the last semester was so hectic (not only were the classes I selected really work heavy, but we also had no Spring break. No idea what the thought process behind that was since both the students AND the faculty suffered from it) I haven’t actually gotten much work on WiS (I guess that’s what I’m gonna call it now since A Witch In Suburbia seems to be sticking as a title) done. I can’t promise much within the next couple months since I’ll be busy with another personal project this month and I’ll leaving for Vietnam to visit family at the end of the month and won’t be back until the end of June. I’ll have another two months after that before my next semester starts and I’ll definitely be writing as much as I can until then

I’ll definitely be doing some visual development mainly for my own benefit so that I can get a better feel of how the characters will interact with their environment. I’ll be posting at least some of it here and on my development blog (witchinsuburbia) so show some of my thought process. Debating whether or not I should include illustrations within the game but that can be decided when I actually have most of it written

I’m a bit of a slow writer and (as shown by the Intro to Python class that I just finished) I’m a very, very slow learner when it comes to coding, but I aim to finish prologue and make a demo by the time I start classes again in September. That said, I have a very short portion of the prologue written; should I post up that as kind of a… demo of a demo? Would anyone be interested in that?

Also, just as a heads-up, judging by how my last few semesters went, I’ll also be putting WiS on at least a semi-haitus again when fall starts. As much as I’d love to get real progress done here, school takes priority over nearly everything else in my life at the moment. At least one of the classes (intro to 2d animation) will be demanding a lot of creative energy (likely in the same way one of the classes I took last semester did, the two classes the same professor) which will take a lot out of me, so I’ll be expecting my progress on this during the upcoming semester to at least be slow. Time will tell whether or not I’ll need to go on a full hiatus

(Also is it possible for me to still edit the first post? The edit button isn’t there anymore??)

4 Likes

If you ask the moderators to turn the first post into a wki-post, you will be able to edit it.

@moderators - @anon86661845 is asking the first post be changed to a wiki so it can be edited.

This will allow anyone to edit the first post. We’re happy to make the change, but I’m not sure it’s a good solution to editing a WIP thread.

Yeah, I’m not sure if that would be a good idea either :\ I’d prefer to just leave it as is at least for now. Thanks anyway though!

It is a practice done many times - the community is for the most part trustworthy - nevertheless, my suggestion was solely that - a suggestion based on what has worked for others before.

The alternative is to keep a running tally in the title where the current update is posted saying something like:

[quote] A Witch In Suburbia (Progress Update: 5/9/17 Post xxxx) [/quote] As long as a regular updates the title, this can work too.

1 Like

I’ll probably ask for it to be turned into a wiki post when I start making more progress and have a demo then. While it’s just a status update like now, I don’t feel like it’s worth it

I understand - I do wish Discourse had a way to keep the Original Poster’s editing privileges active - so that WiP can be updated as normal but several times it was asked and researched but the answer always came back as “not yet” or “no.”

@FairyGodfeather hasn’t been around much lately, so maybe another with “super-powers” could take up the cause at the Discourse forum and maybe one day we’ll see a feature update!

Sorry for the derail - I won’t clog up your thread any further.

1 Like

Okay, so I’m in Vietnam right now and I thought I might be able to get started on a demo soon but unfortunately, I left my laptop in a room with my cousin’s kid’s for half an hour and they broke it :expressionless:

I honestly highly doubt it can be fixed because it doesn’t even turn on anymore and I only just started my trip so I won’t be able to replace it at least until I get home at the end of the month and even then I’m not super sure of because my mom and I have already spent so much money lately with this trip and all and then we’ll have to pay for what my loans won’t cover for my tuition (which just got raised) by the time the fall semester begins. I’ll probably get a replacement by the end of the summer at least since I really need a computer for school

All my notes and what little writing I already have for this is on Google docs so thankfully I haven’t lost access to any of that, unlike a ton of fanfic and art WIPs that I had on my laptop and didn’t think to back up. I’ve been really stressed these past couple months because of finals, convention prep, and now this so progress is likely gonna be really slow if there’s gonna be any at all within the next few weeks :pensive:

3 Likes

My cousin brought my laptop to his friend and somehow they managed to get it working again??? I’m not sure how but also I’m not sure about how long this will last. I’ll be backing up all my important files to a usb once I get home and I’m thinking of starting commissions and/or trying to get a job just in case something gets broken and needs replacement/fixing

Good news is I can actually get started on the demo in the near future like originally planned

EDIT: nevermind about that, my laptop is officially broken. I think I’ll try and see if I can get it to stay o long enough to at least get some of my stuff copy and pasted into Google docs :\

6 Likes

I know this may sound stupid but will it be possible for the witch to shapeshift?

In the physical plane, no. In the astral plane, hypothetically yes? Right now I’m still determining how much power they have over things like this since I feel like I might have limited their abilities a bit too much and I kind of want to rework it in my notes

In the astral plane they will have some ability to change parts of the environment and there may be at least one familiar may display the ability to change its shape there (right now I’m not completely sure if it’ll manage to have an appearance). The witch may have some limited ability to change shape (since I intend to write them as somewhat inexperienced) in the astral plane, but I haven’t quite thought far enough ahead to know if there will be an opportunity to in this game

1 Like