A note on "tyranny," kindness, and the reality of user self-sufficiency

As it stands, you’re awarded a badge when you read the rules. So you can see, in general, who hasn’t read the rules. But as a caveat–I read the rules for the first time probably on the day I started at CoG, and then signed up for the forum. So I read the rules but my badge didn’t get awarded until I re-read some items and spent a certain amount of time on the rules page.

Well then you’re always going to have deal with the new users first mistake as if it was a freebie. “I didn’t know there were any rules or where to find them.” If you make it part of the terms of use there are no excuses.

The reason i posted the thread in the first place was essentially that i felt the approach taken by the community and the mod was …i suppose high handed and self justified would have been more appropriate terms to describe my feelings on the subject.

The responses to it didnt really cause me to abandon the forum but i did feel it was rather pointless to respond so i didnt bother.

The counfusing thing is that i have seen people become enraged both when old threads are brought up by a new poster ((there was a term used for it that i forget(( and when a new poster opens up an entirely new thread about a subject covered in a older thread. So really its not necessarily allways the resonable
Clear cut environment many users seem to fanatically insist it is.

That being said my reaction was fueld by extreme annoyance that at least partially clouded my reason.

@Zolataya

While ill be the first to agree that the mentioned post was hastily constructed , im not sure what your talking about is anything other than blatant tyranny and suppression of dissent for the sake of convenience.

I mean just slamming any dissent that publicly questions the actions of a authority member is arguably a form of tyranny.

Hiding the dissent so no one other than those being called into question can see is again another form of tyranny or at least authoritarian censorship.

@Mary_Duffy

I suppose i was debating the validity of certain rules as well as certain moderators actions and way of doing buisness, rather than being ignorant of their existence.

Still , you get chastised for digging out old posts besides the fact that its absurd to expect people to dig through what can be thousands of posts and days of time only to come out at the end still lacking a definitive answer.

At the same time i do understand where the mods and forum members are coming from .

1 Like

First of all, nobody is “enraged” by this kind of stuff, more like mildly annoyed. Secondly, people only call it out when the thread is either a WIP or has for some reason become obsolete.

Because, as others have explained, it clutters the forum.

Nobody is fanatical for insisting that you use the search function before opening entirely new threads that clutter the forum.

Nobody expects you to look through "thousands of posts. All it would have taken is a cursory glance at the search bar and you have found the proper threads for your questions.

@Jaskn_King The don’t post on old threads only applies to WIPs.

1 Like

This is frankly ridiculous.

1 Like

All i can tell you is that you have obviously had a different experience than i have with some of the forum members, and that you mis understood at some level most of what i said.

Ill sit here and debate this with you on the condition that you try and realize that im not here to troll , that what im doing isnt really trolling its expressing a opinion some people cant understand and/or dont agree with , perhaps im using langauge thats too inflammatory , however that shouldnt invalidate the point that there are contradictory rules here and sometimes they dont make alot of sense.

“Just look it up” cant be the response to every inquiry and issue brought to the table.

I really dont want to start a hostile debate. And besides i actually have a intrest in becoming a member of the forum without being considered the neighborhood troll and having people avoid otherwise perfectly decent threads just because i started it.

So, i apologize if ive offended.

@TheTrueKing
Which is why i started a new thread about the WIP. And it resulted in a conflict with a perfectly reasonable mod and a few enraged forum members.

2 Likes

No worries, I’m aware you are a troll and I’m sure my fellow forum members are as well. Also, apologies if I came off as hostile, I’ll admit I was a bit annoyed when I was typing that and I shouldn’t have been so once again, sorry.

Back to the subject at hand, what part do you think I have misunderstood? Your main point seems to be that some users will attack others for both starting new threads and reviving old ones and that there is a unreasonable expectation that users pour through the search results to get answers for their questions.

I’m also interested in a civil discussion and so if I have misunderstood some part of your point please let me know.

1 Like

ROFL (As a side note, did you mean your fellow forum members are trolls or that they are aware that Jaskn_King is a troll? Lol)

1 Like

Woops, I meant to say I’m aware he’s not a troll, and assumed everyone else was aware as well. Lol.

1 Like

Appreciate your trying to undo the hostile tone of the conversation.

Perhaps we need to make the reason for the rule clearer, then. The point of letting dormant WIPs lie is that they’re almost always dead, and we’d rather keep attention on the living WIPs (32 of which have been created in the past month).

You’re not the first person to overlook the rule, but I think you might be the first to decide that the appropriate response is to make a whole new thread to discuss someone else’s dormant WiP. Points for creativity. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I believe that you can just PM the author.

3 Likes

That’s true, however as @Verand said in his rant, the search bar is a perfectly accessible tool. What I really like is that (if you’re on a computer) there’s a little “Options” button, that tells you a few tips on how to search.

I know there’s a thread about bringing back a WiP from the dead. Maybe a post on there would work?

I’m not really sure tho… but I do know people I won’t be mad at you because it’s not a WiP itself.

Sorry if this offended people.

2 Likes

Well, essentially i meant to point out that this is not a black and white issue and the rules do not necessarily apply to every situation. For instance imagine you use the search function as advised by fellow members and mods, only to find a thread with a thousand or more posts to dig through so you dutifully dig through said posts only to find a lack of relative information to whatever your initial inquiry or concern was.

At that point you post a new thread only to get mob stomped . you may be slightly perturbed at that outcome.

Additionally i suppose i meant to call into question the effectiveness of certain rules in certain situations and that just because someone points that out or has had an experience or two that leaves them ill disposed do certain things does not necessarily justify a jihad against said person or people. When i posted the tyranny thread it was really not meant to be provocative (although id make the point that provocative actions arent allways negative )) or to incense forum members it simply accurately described my feelings in the moment.

@Havenstone

I have a tendency to speak provocatively and it tends to upset, annoy or anger anyone who dosent agree with whatever viewpoint im coming from, so i try not to do that and if i do and its hostile to the point of quashing reasonable debate ill try and adress it :slight_smile:

I understood the reason for that particular rule, at the time at leats i did not consider it applicable to the particular problem i was having and so i did what appeared to be the next best logical step .

Well at least im a creative troll. ;p

@Goddess

There is a perfectly usable search bar , your right about that. However i seem to encounter issues with it and often times the search results dont exactly satisfy the question(s) i had.

Also im on a mobile:p

1 Like

In the situation you described, instead of creating a new thread just post whatever your question is on the thread that already exists for said topic. If no such thread exists than by all means create a new one but in the majority of cases you’ll find that one does exist.This keeps the forum clear of multiple threads for the same question or topic and ensures that everything runs smoothly for all involved.

The thread was a dead WIP, and he read the rules which said don’t post on dead threads (or whatever it is).

PM the author. That’s what I would do.

1 Like

small hint: google.

If you give it syntax like:

site:forum.choiceofgames.com [search terms] (without square brackets] it’ll search the forums better than the forums will.

You’re not provocative. You’re privileged and you’re ignorant.

And you’re far from unique.

I posted this a little over a year ago in response to a new forum user who was acting much like you are right now. You might consider reading the whole thread.

Regardless, this thread is now closed. If you have any further concerns about the forum rules, feel free to email me.

2 Likes