A Dog's Life Pt 1

young-adult-fiction

it’s all right we can wait.

So here’s a bit of into about some changes coming up

New breed randomizer! Just like when making a mutt, you can now randomize which breed you get! Choose to randomize completely, or based on a specific size or if your a random wild or exotic!
Shelter is now broken into 3 separate scenes (Weeks 1-2, 3-4, 5-7)
At the beginning of each shelter scene there will be a description of how those weeks are run & what you can do. A basic overview is given at the start of the shelter, alongside description of Base Stats & overview of your behaviors
New Fictional Breed: Wolfsnout Retriever

Week 1- Days 1 & 2 are done

So an update:

Seasons have been added! It is used to keep track of time, as well as having effect on prey, other dogs, humans, & other animals. This works hand in hand with the cold stat & affects your health greatly
Full list of scenes for Summer- Glenn1, Rhodes1, Beltran1, Police1, Fire1, Rescue1, Therapy1, Fight1
Please note that none of these scenes has content. They simply display that it goes through summer, and that it only covers the beginning of the branches for Rescue, Firehouse, Police, Therapy, & Fight. Each scene will branch off into their respective branches as the game goes on

Listed Below are the planned Branches (these are listed for your sakes & my own so I can have multiple places to keep track of what I’m writing):
Police Dogs: Tracker (bomb, drug, & similar sniffers), Attack Dogs, Guard Dogs (you will mostly guard the station but may sometimes guard elsewhere)
Firehouse: Fire Rescue (leaping into fires), On-site Therapy (comforting people rescued from fires, different than other therapy dogs), Trackers (trained in scent specifically to find missing animals & humans within burning areas, does not work with Police Trackers usually)
Rescue: Trackers (missing people & animals, sometimes will work with Police Trackers), Rescuers (leaping into floods, falling buildings, ect to rescue animals & people, may work with Firehouse), On-site Therapy (comforting rescued people as they wait for medical attention, different from other therapy dogs)
Therapy: General Therapy (take care of whoever needs comforting or help), Child Therapy (visit the childrens hospital only), Adult therapy (visit nursing home & regular hospital)
Service Dogs: 1-on-1 only, branches off from therapy or is chosen as service dog straight from Shelter
Fighting Branch: Fight or Bait Dogs (determined near start of scenes by Fear & Moral, as well as your first reaction to the other dogs)

What dogs can we play through as?

So any dog can live with the Glenn’s
The Rhodes’ prefer Hounds, but will take any dog
The Beltran’s will only take purebreds & are especially excited about Companion dogs, they will ignore anyone else
Police, Firehouse, & Rescue will take any dog except exotics
Therapy/Service can accept any dog but will give you to a different family if you are too aggressive
Fight/Bait will take all dogs but they love wolves, wolfdogs, & coyotes

HUGE: Great Dane, Mastiff, Newfoundland, Great Pyrenees, Bernese Mountain Dog, Irish Wolfhound, St. Bernard.

LARGE: Pharaoh Hound, Siberian Husky, German Shepard, Malamute, Akita, Bloodhound, Borzoi, Chow Chow, Doberman, Rottweiler, Greyhound, Labrador, Golden Retriever, Old English Sheepdog, Poodle, Saluki, Dalmatian, Pitbull, Samoyed.

MEDIUM: Collie, Xoloitzcuintli (different sizes), Finnish Spitz, English Setter, American Foxhound, Staffordshire Terrier, Australian Shepard, Basset Hound, Beagle, Border Collie, Boxer, Canaan Dog, Bull Terrier, Springer Spaniel, Whippet, Keeshond.

SMALL: Basenji, Shiba Inu, Bichon Frise, Boston Terrier, Cocker Spaniel, Daschund, Jack Russel, Mini Bull Terrier, Papillion, Pekingese, Pomeranian, Pug, Scottish Terrier, Corgi.

MINI: Maltese, Mini Pinscher, Yorkshire Terrier, Chihuahua, Shih Tzu, Toy Poodle.

MUTT (Make your own cross-breed or random)

HYBRID/OTHER: Wolf, Wolf Hybrid, Coydog, Coyote.

EXOTIC: Maned Wolf, African Wild Dog, Dingo, Jackal.

Thank you but I meant which breeds cam we get further than the shelter?

Um…every breed can make it to the end of Week 7 Day 2 if they want, but it would be better to escape before then as a stray or pick your group/family. No breed is restricted to the shelter alone & never will be. If there was any breed restricted to the shelter I would not add it in

so excited about this game i love dogs i noticed you incuded australian shepard but not a red heeler or blue heeler i used have a redheeler crossed with a blue heeler beautiful dogs and some amzing jumpers my rascal could jump over 7ft in the air off the ground i know its a bit late to add them so its all good but i just love somones doing to a story with a dogs pov

Actually, when I did my research I found out that Blue Heelers were Australian Shepherds. Same breed, ust different names

well actually blue heelers and red heelers are australian cattle dogs and are different to australin shepard dogs in apperance and arent really the same heres a website explaing both breeds https://www.hillspet.com.au/dog-care/dog-breeds/australian-cattle-dog for cattle dog (heelers) and https://www.hillspet.com.au/dog-care/dog-breeds/australia-shepherd both are working herd dogs but they different

image image one on left shepard one on right is blue heeler

and this is a red heeler

The amount of customization is amazing, however, I’m a tad worried you may be shooting yourself in the foot with all these variables once you start writing the story (and all it’s branching paths). That and the fact you’re working on a second game, similar to this one but with cats instead. Don’t burn yourself out.

I love all the information you give us. I really appreciate this. I’m so excited for this WIP, thank you

Red heeler looks like a fox.

i always thought they looked more like dingos then anything considering there related to the dingo im pretty sure

That happens when I pick silver

I love this, i love this, i love this!!! Wish you total luck with the project!!

I… don’t quite understand how this game plays.
I’ve started two games, same species, same gender, but one started in the breeding center and the other started at the shelter already. What is triggering the different start? Chance? Is the custom name? Also, if you start at the breeding center the game ends when you get taken to the shelter but if you start at the shelter, the demo reaches it’s conclusion when the families come to pick us up. Is gap supposed to be intentional?