Image description: [A collage of rural photographs on a dark background spells out “A Comedy of Manors” /end description]
Born and bred in small town Kentucky, you’ve called New York City home since graduating from high school. But with a master’s degree in hand, that chapter of your life is coming to a close. The trouble is you don’t know what comes next. Until a medieval manor falls into your lap, that is. Now you’re chasing success half-way around the world. Will you get Darbury Manor up and running or scurry home with your tail between your legs?
- Play as male, female, or nonbinary; gay, straight, bi, or ace.
- Customize your appearance and personality.
- Befriend, romance, and irritate the locals.
- Juggle your relationships, reputation, and business.
- Uncover unique opportunities to use to your advantage.
- Leave your mark on Talverton!
Welcome to my escapist, Mediterranean fantasy! Play the demo here!
Keywords: humor, comedy, lighthearted, escapist, slice of life, romance
Cast and Crew
- Alberta/Albert (Bertie) Carroll - The laid back contractor restoring your manor; very tall with light skin, dirty-blonde hair, and light green eyes
- Gabrielle/Gabriel Duchamp - Cranky chef and restaurateur; tall with olive colored skin, curly brown hair, and hazel eyes
- Rashida/Rashid (Rash) Khalef - Flirtatious artist and beach bum; average-height with bronze colored skin, long black hair, and dark brown eyes
- Antonia/Antonio (Tony) Ruiz - Charming bartender and former sailor; tall with brown skin, curly brown hair, and forest green eyes
- Oliver Bates - Shy teenager who never knows quite what to do with his lanky limbs
- Charlie Carroll - Excitable neighbor and fellow farmer
- Frankie Carroll - Local school teacher and troublemaker extraordinaire
- Ines Duchamp - Meddling-and-matchmaking grandma
- Alex McNally - Best friend and fellow expatriate
- Sebastian More - Bumbling family-man-mayor of Talverton
- Judy Shaw - Quirky baker with a sassy tongue
I’ll take it all! Feel free to post here, send me a private message, or shoot me an ask on tumblr. Here are some questions to get you started:
- Did you find any typos, misspellings, grammatical errors, discontinuities, or bugs?
- Were there sections that should have had a line_break or page_break? Sections that shouldn’t have?
- Were some scenes too fast or too slow?
- Which part did you like best/least and why?
- Which parts could use more work/content? Do you have specific suggestions? Were there parts that didn’t make sense?
- Who is your (least) favorite character and why?
- Were there sections that you feel could use more sensitivity/were problematic? What can I do to address your concerns?
- What do you (dis)like about the world building and why?
- Were there *choices that didn’t have an #option you wanted?
- Were there times when something you expected to happen actually happened? Times when your expectations were thwarted?
- What do you (dis)like about the writing style and why?
As always, please blur your spoilers like this!
A note for the code divers
If you take a peek under the hood, the stats (personality traits, relationships, and the like) should be fairly straightforward. If you think a stat-check is unreasonable, please let me know! I think the rest of my system, however, will be rather… opaque. There are soooo many variables! You’ll probably get the gist of the organization and naming convention, but it’ll probably be hard to make heads or tales of them without my handy-dandy variable guide. That’s on purpose! I don’t want the code to give away many clues about the narrative, only the mechanics of the game. This unfortunately means that it might be difficult to detect some errors, but if you think you’ve found a discontinuity in the narrative, please let me know!
- Typos and bugs fixed
- Nickname *choice added
- Adoption *choice added
- Alex romance flag added
- Curse toggles added
- Achievements added
- Romantic dialogue indicator changed ()
- Mechanic implemented: crafting
- POV mechanic changed
- Scene expanded: Breakfast (J&A/C)
- Scene added: Independence Day (A & S)
- Scene added: City Day (A, I&S; F/C&J; B/G/R/T)
- God Mode added
- Images added
- Image descriptions added
- Scene added
- Scene added: B, C, F & A/J & O; I & G; R; S; T
- Scene begun: New Year’s Eve
- Dialogue options repeated after choices
- Total word count with code: 118,000
- Total word count without code: 98,000
- Demo word count without code: 83,000
- Average play-through: 30,000
- Option added: sober!MC
- Options added: character customization
- POV scene added: S
- POV scene added: C
- POV scene added: I
- POV scene added: B
- POV scene added: G
- Scene added: G
- Scene added: A/J
- Scene added: T
- Scene begun: B, C, F & A/J & O; I & G; R; S
- Scene begun: Halloween
- Total word count with code: 82,000
- Total word count without code: 70,000
- Demo word count without code: 52,000
- Average play-through: 27,000
- Typos fixed
- Height choice incorporated into prologue
- Scene added: B
- Scene added: A, C, & J
- Scene added: I/S
- Scene added: J
- Scene added: I & G
- Scene added: A & F/C
- Scene added: R
- Total word count with code: 52,000
- Total word count without code: 42,000
- Demo word count without code: 40,000
- Average play-through: 23,000
- Grammar and spelling fixed
- Alex’s pronouns fixed
- Custom pronouns added
- Q&A added
- Scene added: A & S
- Scene added: A/B
- Scene added: B & I
- Total word count (including unpublished content): 25,000
- Private beta published
- Prologue published privately
Coming Next Time (Probably!)
Total including command lines: 156,000
Total excluding command lines: 128,000
Demo excluding command lines: 113,000
Average play-through: 40,000