2117: Highway Wars (Submitted, closed)

I’m pretty sure it has nothing to do with cached stuff since it happened when I tried it on my phone as well.

There’s one more error I found with the gunner scene at the bunker (Besides all but one of the first four options freezing the game) in one of the options:

“Knock her out and handcuff her. You’ll deal with her later, or abandon her to {turret_his} fate here”

I still see the issue with the gunner being dead after leaving the facility even if you spare them so I guess I need to delete my cache or something.

I deleted cached images and files and that didn’t change anything. What specifically do I need to remove? I would ideally not like to log myself out of everything I’m currently logged in to.

Ok well I tried it on another machine again and got the same exact issues. Am I using the wrong link? I assumed it was the link in the first post.

1 Like

Thanks for all that. I (finally!!!) managed to solve that pesky bug, and tested myself that the game is working properly. In the process I also found that some of my other *if statements might not have been working (it seems that the game was sometimes not recognising them, unless the part behind it was in brackets.

i.e. my

*if turret_handcuffed >0

was not being recognised

so I had to change everything to

*if (turret_handcuffed > 0)

Is this something that I have been doing wrong with my coding? (I’m now wondering whether I should go through the game and put brackets behind each of my *if statements…

1 Like

I always bracket all variables - I noticed in the wiki they were doing that, so I got into the habit myself.

2 Likes

Like @Eiwynn I got in the habit of doing that from aping others, though in my case it was because of him, @Szaal, @Alexandra and a bunch of the other helpful sorts who chimed in on my Ultimate Noob Coding thread. Everyone kept putting *if in parentheses, so I assumed not doing it had some horrendous unknown consequence.

3 Likes

Well, at the moment I’m wondering whether they work at all… and thus, if many of the paragraphs in the game were even working! (like, I use a lot of these *if to create flavour text… I’m now in the process of placing brackets in all places, and checking whether the game is working as intended…)

1 Like

The format

*if ablh > 5

is perfectly fine. Some of my checks are written like that, and it works fine. The only thing that might protest it is probably the quicktest.

1 Like

Cool, the options to talk to the gunner during the bunker scene now work and they don’t show up dead at the ATC like you didn’t take them with you in the first place if you choose to take them with you to the bunker. I don’t see the typos I mentioned earlier either. It feels a bit weird that they take so long to show up again though. If you choose to go to leave the bunker you’ll just mention that they attacked you, and if you choose to stay they aren’t mentioned again until a long time later when you’re asked to select a gunner.

If you choose to capture the bandits breaking into the bunker but then choose to terraform earth it forgets about the bandits you’d captured.

I also noticed that even if you have a robot army they still will get into an argument with the mercs over a damaged vehicle, which seems a bit weird.

The final stage could be made a lot more interesting with some more diplomatic options. LIke, you can sometimes offer a truce, but a lot of the time you don’t even get the option. Like, it was cool when you got that messenger from commando omega, but it doesn’t seem like your choices there actually make a difference.

One more minor suggestion, after you beat the bandit alliance at the end it would add some good closure to mention whether Burgos (assuming it was taken by Teresa) and Magaz are now more inclined to ally with you if they didn’t before. I mean, the main reason Teresa doesn’t want to is because you’re not strong enough, but I think beating all those forces would surely prove otherwise. :slight_smile:

Sorry if I’m making suggestions that are far outside the scope of what you plan to do before trying to publish. I just want to make it clear that I won’t have any hard feelings if you don’t implement anything I suggest, and I’m just offering these on the off chance that you think they’re good, and can be implemented.

1 Like

Just about to upload another update, ironing some other bugs out. I have added some flavour text about the terraforming and the buggies following the robots (they correctly show in the list of troops, but they were not being mentioned), and about AIDAN saying how illogical it would be for one of his/her robots to scratch another vehicle…

Regarding the final part and more diplomatic options… yes, I agree with you. Originally I had wanted to implement all that and more (attacking Free Cities, more complex alliance systems, etc). Just, I ran out of steam. I saw that with each additional option I placed the complexity of the game started to increase substantially (like, it requires more if statements to record the increased complexity, etc). I hope that you will understand that at this point I’m just inclined to leave it as it is, unless anybody finds bugs that are not making the game work as intended?

1 Like

Essentially, I am going to test it myself tomorrow a bit more, and if nobody posts any reports of bugs, I’ll probably submit tomorrow night or Thursday (so, last chance to play…)

3 Likes

Submitting the game now. Could somebody please close this thread? (eventually when the game is published I will start a new thread for post-release discussion…)

Once again, thanks to everybody who contributed and gave feedback! Hope I was able to satisfy most/all of your feedback, and that you enjoyed playing it!

14 Likes