Zombie Exodus: Safe Haven, Part 3 - releasing 3/3/2022

But you can romance other adults as a teen? I thought teenager meant like 18. By the same logic Bailey is a college student which means she’s over 18 so if we assume we’re underage we shouldn’t be able to romance her as well.

2 Likes

I believe a teenager is like 16-17 years old.

1 Like

When asking the River Dogs what they did before the outbreak:

Emily fixes her headband and blows a few strands of hair out of her eyes. “I’m a physical therapist. I got my PhD about six months ago and am working at a hospital for people with traumatic brain injuries, helping them to really learn functions they lost or teaching them how to adapt to the loss of function.”

Did you mean re-learn?

After deciding to head out:

The three River Dogs shake hands with your group and wish you all well as they set on the path to the lake. Just as they step out of the clearing, Emily suggests a meeting in a few days between your leadership and their’s.

No apostrophe

As you make your way home, or what you now call home, you spot a series of bodies lying in a thicket only a few hundred yards from the main gate. Your group draws weapons and advances with caution. When you reach the bodies, you notice all of them are headless. Their jaundiced skin and green lesions provide evidence of infection, and as you inspect them further, their bodies twitch, animated by the Zeta virus. Fresh blood, thick and brown, pools around them, and their bodies lie with their heads all facing the Junkyard.

Unclear: How can their heads be facing the junkyard if they’re headless? Shouldn’t it be “neck stumps?” Is the movement suggesting that the brainstems are still attached to the bodies, or that destroying the brain isn’t actually enough to “kill” a zombie?

Whilst getting intimate with Rachel

Red lines flow down your chest and stomach like fresh scars, and now your panting again.

You’re

3 Likes

Suggestion/query:
In the two runs where I’ve gotten this far, Maddy and Brody are returning from hunting at 11:30PM. They start arguing and yelling over each other to tell their story. Jamie is leading in this second go, and he whistles loudly to get their attention. It’s the middle of the night, so why are they being so dang loud? Sound carries farther at night, so the three of them would be very easily giving away our position to other humans or zombies in the area. Can we scold people for making so much noise? Alternatively, it might be good to either start and end the day earlier, or simply end it earlier and sacrifice some actions.

Also why are we going looking for the people they encountered at this late hour? How are we, as a group of roughly 4 to 6 scouts, navigating the woods at this late and dark hour without lights, and without making a buttload of noise (at the very least, Jamie isn’t exactly subtle and stealthy)? Either the light from our flashlights, or the noise made by low-stealth characters in dense woodland should easily give away our position for several meters.

8 Likes

Your MC doesn’t have to send a big group after them if they think it’s too risky. You can choose the option to only send out Rachel as a spy. She observes them from cover (but doesn’t approach them) and then comes back and reports to you.

I just checked. If you choose to go after them with a group, then Jaime comes along no matter what and always gets you spotted, even if you’re trying to be stealthy…

5 Likes

I think you should make it that its possible for a teenager to romance Rachel but its just harder. I just don’t like the idea of thinking a romance option is avaliable for you only to yank it away after 3 years of game development.

3 Likes

She just has higher standards. There are people who won’t ever cross a line they set, for example dating people 5-10 years their junior or senior.

5 Likes

That’s why up the relationship percentage you need with her like for example if you’re a movie star you only need 60 percent to romance her but if you’re a college student you need 70 and if you’re a teen 80 percent. It doesn’t make sense that you can create a character like a bank robber and act like a complete idiot and fail at events like fights or you end up getting 0 votes to be community leader and she gets into a relationship with you whilst you can be a teenager and basically be like Zombie Apocalypse John Shepard and be successful st everything you do and be so charismatic you get all the votes to be leader only for her to reject you.

1 Like

One of the games I’ve been looking forward to the most this year, among others such as Cyberpunk 2077, is ZE:SH Part 3. Super excited to see the game progressing.

I think a nice way to balance this out would be to have the nephew want to help but ultimately wanders off and does other things. Imagine he’s assigned to chores but when you check in on him an hour later, he’s busy pretending to be Lewis Hamilton in a wrecked car.

Perhaps other members of the group express their displeasure with working with a child. On the other hand, others might not like seeing idle hands (especially if he’s playing instead of doing the work you actually gave him).

Taking all these into account, the MC might choose to double down on the nephew to contribute but this only strains your relationship with him and even others such as, say, Nora who feels the kid should just be a kid.

I like this.

12 Likes

It makes perfect sense, actually. Your character is still a Teen. End of story.

Rachel is her own character with her own morals and agendas, just like everyone else, even other teens. You are essentially complaining about how a character has their own stance on something. See why that’s fundamentally a poor argument?

The other thing you seem to be missing is Jim himself has commented on this. He doesn’t want Teens to be able to romance the adults until they are no longer underage. For obvious reasons.

Yes. Because regardless of all your character’s self-proclaimed accomplishments, she is still a human being who can choose to do whatever they want. Even in a game. That’s the other poor part of your argument: you seem to be trying to completely dismiss that characters can be their own fictional yet strong entities with their own tastes and desires. They could be completely malleable to the player, and there’s nothing wrong with that, but that’s not here, and it’s been like that from the start.

23 Likes

Isn’t Bailey a adult? She’s in college and a teen MC can still romance her.

Regardless than its pointless for a teen character to even attempt to romance Rachel then and she should be locked away like Gina and Kelly are for teen MCs. Because otherwise its a waste of time for people who were pursuing her way back in part 1.

1 Like

In North America, you can begin college at 18. Bailey is very ambiguous. In terms of age, Rachel and the others are on the more extreme ends of the spectrum.

In terms of you not knowing, it was discussed many times on here and elsewhere. I’ve even been a part of some of those discussions. No offense, but that’s on you if you invested in her with your Teen character. Like with anyone else.

Also, the story continues and gives you a scene if she turns you down. Even over this. You are not being left in the dark; you just disapprove of the path of the story. Why not keep playing? That’s the type of game this is; made for multiple characters, playthroughs.

Make this tribulation part of your current story, embracing it, and either have them move on to someone else or hold out for Rachel. You can totally do that. Then peek her actual RO content with another character. Boom. Two completely opposite paths. I don’t know about you, but that sounds fun. You get to see what if and what is. Then make what you like best your main “canon.”

That’s how this is set up. You just have the wrong mentality. It wasn’t a game design philosophy issue, it was a choice of the author you didn’t approve of.

22 Likes

I hope what your suggesting is an optional choice and not a mandatory one ,because I can see several different leader archetypes not wanting or being interested in building stuff when they can do other things with their time. Also, creating certain structures requires the use of the crafting skill and it’s possible that some MC’s don’t have a high enough level or even a base level to be as effective in building as our professional builders Gina & Woody. Also, since I had to make all or most of the defenses in part 2 because no one had the for-thought to secure the camp so we wouldn’t get attacked in the middle of the night, I’d rather not be forced to do that again. Especially when the leader(who isn’t the MC) doesn’t think to have someone do this.

How would that work for MC’s who’ve already put the nephew on the road to child soldier ?, because it’s already possible to kill Jillian & Lyle right in front of him for when they try to rob you. Which causes him to say “they deserved to die for doing that to us.” Or when you kill the 3 soldiers that abduct Lopez and you have to tell him how much of a threat humans are to the Nephew’s & MC’s survival. Would events like that just have to be ignored because that takes place in part 1 and this morality/mental stat only takes effect from part 3 onwards ? Or would that have to be added into the beginning of ZE:SH so the change is progressively tracked?

Does anyone else want the option to have a one on one talk with Jamie for his random bouts of going against the established plan or actively trying to prevent the MC from going through with a choice he doesn’t like? Particularly when it comes to interacting with strangers that we don’t know from a hole in the ground. It makes sense when he’s trying to stop the MC from being a murder hobo/raider,but other times it’s just aggravating.

What’s funny about the whole thing is that he’s the one who recommends us as leader in the first place and then once we announce how we want to survive and it doesn’t line up with his views he says “that’s not how I would lead the group” and has been trying to steer the MC do what he wants ever since. He maybe our friend from before the apocalypse, but that doesn’t mean he should get to openly challenge are decisions or disobey an established plan without consequence especially since we literally have the option to beat Riley into submission for questioning training.

I honestly thought he already was blindfolded, but good job pointing out that he wasn’t, also not having him blindfolded, just really diminishes the chances of letting him through this whole situation since he knows where we live again. I’m honestly surprised that oversight wasn’t corrected by the MC or Rachel since they tend to be the most security oriented.

10 Likes

I think this last point is looking more like the solution. I’m getting feedback that they last too long. There is a fine balance in timed scenes where I want to give enough time for some MCs, like leaders, while others seem to be passing time.

This is exactly the way it is.

I’m not sure what you’ve read but she basically tells you why she entered into a relationship with you in the first place. Characters have to have motivations, but she has a very specific motivation when it comes to dealing with the MC. If I change and make all characters throw themselves at MCs then the game becomes fan service.

All that being said, even if she refuses a teen character, it doesn’t mean the romantic storyline with her is over.

This is something I want to add. Others have suggested it but thank you for reminding me.

Thank you for this comment and for your opinions on this part.

17 Likes

I can’t help but notice the reasons the mc can have for wanting to eliminate the silverthornes is mostly for blood/glory/gear, what about an option to have the reason to eliminate the silverthornes to be more …for the lack of a better word: kinder? Like the silverthornes can be aggressive and they actually kill or let die those they deem weak or “against them” a chivalorous or manipulative mc can have the option to say theg want to eliminate the silverthornes because they’re a threat to other survivors/ save other people from getting hurt. It’ll make other members of the group more accepting of this.

9 Likes

Isn’t there an option, that says you’re fighting them because you rejected the offer to join them and they threatened to kill you as a result ? Also, every group member falls into a different part of the morality spectrum so your going to piss off someone no matter what and there’s always someone who doesn’t like your plan, because it doesn’t align with their views on survival. For example, it’s harder for a heroic MC to earn Riley’s loyalty because he doesn’t think being a hero is the way to keep him and his mother safe from outside threats which is why he frequently rebels or questions that type of leader. Also if you’re having a hard time convincing people as leader, persuasion and leadership skills are a must to increase.

3 Likes

There are people who approve snuffing them for threatening to kill us and people who dissaproves going attacking them , what i mean we can also use the chivalry way of thinking to justify our decision for those who disaporoves of killing.
“Heroic” choices can still be approved if it lines up with their goal, like killing em for heroics can also have spoils left over, and the pragmatic characters will approve. Even if the reasons are different the outcome is still the same in terms of murder and more dubious choices.

3 Likes

Even if the leader’s name is on the workboard, they don’t have to assign themselves a task. They can leave themselves unassigned, or assign themselves to free time, or assign themselves to a different task like hunting or scavenging. You’d have plenty of choices.

Personally I just really want the characters who WANT to build stuff to have the option to do so. If a character has 6 points in crafting and worked as a carpenter for years it makes no sense to just cross their arms and do 0 to help improvements.

5 Likes

“Mrs. Shirley”

There are 2 options to ask where are they living here, when i chose one the other option still appeared

1 Like

Myself included. I agree with this and believe it should be implemented as well. My MC definitely sees them as a threat to the group’s very existence; they are extremely hostile, have seen all our faces, and could still be close or followong us right now. Hell, we all entered Sapphire Lake without knowing they were already watching us.

3 Likes