Zombie Exodus: Safe Haven, Part 3 - releasing 3/3/2022

Absolutely love your zombie games, been a long-time fan since the original Zombie Exodus back in 2015-2016.
Thanks for letting us be involved in the process!

I just went through a test play-through of the new chapters and happened into some errors, primarily around the Museum attack section.

I chose to side with the Mamba’s and shot Cruz in the head with my sniper rifle from his position on the balcony.
Cruz appears unscathed in subsequent sentences, and even somehow remains his rifle after it falls off the balcony.

Also within this same section, there were several different Mamba members that were previously not introduced to the ‘player’ within the current choices, and their names were used as if the player was aware of them.

I’ve heavily enjoyed playing these new chapters, and to be entirely honest, it didn’t even click in my head that I wasn’t actually playing the game until the Museum continuity errors.
Overall superb pacing, writing, and the way you’ve pushed heavily into resource management and base building within a community context really pushes this game to the next level.
Looking forward to play these completed chapters.

7 Likes

A cool thing to add in this or another part would be able to lose a major body such as arm, hand, leg, eye, etc, and be able to recover from that. Something that comes to mind is being able to a prosthetic arm like Merle from TWD.

8 Likes

Forgive me if this question have already been asked. Also, I’m using a screen reader, so browsing through hundreds of posts May not be a good idea for a few reasons. Anyway, enough about that. My question is, will we be able to receive some sort of therapy or something that will help us to get rid of some of our vices/challenges? Maybe we could get help from somewhere or someone, so we can put down the smokes or alcohol for example? It’s not the greatest of deals, but I’m just curious to know if this ever came up or got mentioned?

7 Likes

I like this idea in theory but they are called challenges for a reason. I think if there is an option for therapy it should just raise your mental health stats rather than take away a challenge or smth

7 Likes

I feel like some vices/challenges that are caused by things that were in abundance when society was still existing will no longer be something the MC will be able to satiate, (i.e Nicotine, and Alcohol addiction) due to how those things won’t be easy to find as the apocalypse carry’s on. But as for our other challenges, I hope we aren’t given the option to get rid of them all together, because the whole purpose of getting them, in my opinion was for adding a bit of flavor to your MC’s background and making the player’s be considerate about how they go about certain things due to those challenges. Also the challenges were optional so if you didn’t want your MC to have them you weren’t forced to take one.

6 Likes

It is true that challenges are suppose to add flavour and it is also true that we have the option to select them. However, I just thought that therapy would somehow be a challenge within a challenge. First off, the mc would have to come clean and admit to their addiction in the first place. Secondly, they must build a high enough rapport with whoever can help them get rid of it. Thirdly, receiving therapy would deduct from time that could be spent elsewhere, adding a trade-off. Like I said, no big deal. It was just a thought.

4 Likes

My grain of salt is that a theme I love is overcoming one’s weaknesses or flaws. The very appeal of the challenges to me was the idea of overcoming them. I decided against taking one because it seemed as if that theme wasn’t present in the game (in that form, obviously).
So while I don’t inherently mind the fact as it is it’s impossible to overcome them one way or another, considering that is the very reason I would see the appeal, yeah… I lost all interest in them.

Again, I don’t consider it bad. I just wanted to share my perspective since it seems it hasn’t been said before.

6 Likes

I get where you’re coming from but I think the setting itself makes it difficult to have the option for overcoming challenges. Like there is no easy access to measures used to quit smoking for example and the whole… zombie thing makes it especially difficult to even want to try and quit anything because it’s a response to stress

6 Likes

Oh I’m not arguing with that! It makes sense eh!
That’s why I’m not complaining about it. But what I wanted to do was offer a different perspective about the fact the purpose of taking a challenge when creating a MC would be to actually deal with the challenge, and otherwise one can just ignore that. Considering this isn’t why I would take a challenge for my MC, I wanted to offer my point of view about the very reason a player could wish to take one.

Obviously, being able to overcome one of these challenges would be extremely difficult in this setting, and as you said, the MC may not even be willing to do so.
That just doesn’t change the fact if it WAS a thing, I’d be happy to take a challenge and aim to overcome it!

4 Likes

Well, if it is so difficult to overcome these challenges, it would eventually cause the mc to snoop around, stealing smokes and alcohol from other characters. This would make them start to suspect that things are going missing, confronting one another and eventually, confronting the mc. In such a case, the mc would have to admit it and face the consequences, be it help from those who like them or rebukes from those who doesn’t. Alternatively, the mc can try to lie their way out of the situation or even shift blame onto someone else. Even if the mc doesn’t steal from other characters, they’d eventually get cranky to the point where they will be confronted anyway due to obvious symptoms. If for some reason or another, none of this can be implemented, then I’d at least hope that we would see a confrontation about it. I mean you can’t just keep behaving like a kleptomaniac, stealing stuff to satiate your vices and expect no confrontation whatsoever. Even if they don’t catch you out, someone will have to start complaining about things that’s going missing.

5 Likes

Just a thought on the addiction challenge, what if instead of removing it, we create chances for the MC to indulge in them instead? There are plan for farming in the game, so instead of growing stuff like vegetables or fruit, they can grow tobacco instead to make their own cigarettes or to trade them. As for alcohol maybe an MC with high cooking or science skill can brew their own using food as material?

8 Likes

Those are some very good ideas. I can’t wait for the farming feature. I hope to have an endless field of potatoes. The Nightfallen will be starting a potato-based diet here in the near future.

Potatoes - superfood. Because it’s super hard to fuck them up.

I love potatoes.

…Can we also grow cannabis? Y’know, for their extraordinary trade value? And…just that?

7 Likes

I have noticed that sometimes when picking the Military professions I do not get the choice to pick what I took from the base, is this a bug? Or is it intended?

3 Likes

Hemp is a useful material, fabric, paper, bodybuilding proteins, etc. More useful than cannabis actually. But since you need the male and female plants anyway I suppose it wouldn’t really harm anything to grow cannabis too.

7 Likes

For some reason, I had neglected to remember it’s lovely little mate. Hemp should definitely be seriously considered if Jim looks to allow for a good variety of crops/gardens.

You know what, if you combine our thinking, you get an extremely effective grow. Hemp for the uses you listed and more, and cannabis for recreational uses and maybe morale bonuses, plus foremost for trade.

4 Likes

I know this is off topic would there be any plan for the special inventory and other stuff? There are certain items that i never had the chance to give or use such as

• Clothing, large in size
  • Note left by Greg Senior
  • Rechargeable Battery
  • Handcuffs and zip-ties
  • Cosmetic
    Would they play any role in the future? Or will they just be there?
7 Likes

@JimD I have a couple suggestions:

1. The part from when you first meet Gilbert to meeting the rest of the Museum people is a giant wall of text. I found myself unable to read it all properly and had to just skip most of it. I’m not sure exactly how to fix this except to break it up somehow.

2. It would be cool if there was some recognition between us and the red mambas when they attack the museum, especially if we chose to ally with them.

7 Likes

I think it’s going to be one of the options. I just haven’t reworked that part.

Some of it is going to be used at some point, while some of it is just there to show it has been collected. For example, the note left by Greg Senior doesn’t have a use anymore, at least for now, but testers suggested I included it in the inventory since it technically is an item you pick up.

That’s good feedback. I will look into fixing it…

There will be in the published version. During this beta test, we can’t bring in variables from saved games, so technically none of your characters that are created at the beginning of Part 3 have ever met Thelma or her group. The other option is to add it to the character builder like I have done for your characters, such as Jude.

8 Likes

I am 99% certain that I don’t understand this, but just in case I do, you’re saying that the variables created throughout the demo are not accounted for, and the only way to account for them is to add them into the character builder? I’m no expert, but that seems… weird, to say the least. How are you supposed to test if they’re working if they aren’t even present?

Edit:

I think this is the part that is confusing to me. I met Drake and the red mambas for the first time in this demo, then met Thelma with Drake present during the museum attack. So I met Drake twice in this demo, not before.

4 Likes

Given that he said that variables from previously saved games, can’t be looked at I think it’s safe to assume that he isn’t talking about the variables currently in the Part 3 demo, because of course all the options that player’s pick in the part 3 demo need to be tried and looked at to make sure they’re working properly. Also he was talking about the game not acknowledging the fact that you’ve met Thelma in part 1 of the story as well as the fact that you can meet Derek and his gang when they pull up at the Junkyard and possibly make an alliance with them.

3 Likes