"Yes I do" RO's everyone hates but you love

At least Mornie got some layers in book two. I could even see myself doing a run with her as RO depending on how she ends up.

Manerkol is just a straight genocidal villain. I know some people are into that, but never been one of those “I can fix them” types myself.

18 Likes

Sure, i don’t judge. The lack of a clear consent is what bother me about that.

9 Likes

Can I politely ask people not to trash on any RO’s, in a thread specifically about liking RO’s that gets a lot of hate?

That said, the lack of clear consent can be exactly what some people enjoy, since it’s a story, a fantasy, and not reality.
And it’s also made pretty clear that the non-consensual stuff isn’t sexual in nature, on the RO’s part, so I don’t really think it’s fair to frame it as such?

58 Likes

Oh sorry, i didn’t mean to.
Just annoyed at the double standard between Mornie and Manerkol.

2 Likes

No :stuck_out_tongue: No changing M. They’re good enough as they are!
It seems like Sera’s intention is for M to slide into a relationship naturally, there’ll be no changing them aside from getting them to stop smoking and I think that’s great.

14 Likes

I’m one of those people who kind of just want to see how bad a relationship can get between the MC and the RO, so pretty much anything goes for me? :sweat_smile: Like, I don’t even have a lot of specific characters in mind, because the only one who’s really made me think “Damn, you’re horrible. You are perfect for my MC.” is Jun/ko.

I kind of wish there were more genuinely bad people among the casts of some games, but I understand they’re not always everyone’s cup of tea! :laughing:

26 Likes

I’m the same way, I don’t self-insert so when I look at RO list I’m not looking for a “perfect bf/gf” (I already have one of those). I look for an interesting dynamic or plot relevance, something that enhances the story (like Solas romance in DA:I) and unhealthy relationships are fun and sometimes enlightening to read about, depending on how it’s handled.

Which is why I’m going to hit y’all with: I like Darcy from Professor of Magical Studies. They’re in my top 10. Darcy is a bad bitch who ruins your life and it’s great.

25 Likes

Is always like that tbh

Evil male ROs: Omg so hot! Relax it’s fiction and not real.

Evil female ROs: They’re such a bitch why do people even like them.

35 Likes

Villain ROs, really bad guys, and sometimes it worries me that some authors would worry about that it is bad to give a villain RO a good ending, but, but… I’d like my villain stay as they are, I don’t want to fix them, as long as my MC won’t get corrupted, and I would wish they would have a happy ending, villain remains a villain, and my morally shadow MC remains somehow far away from the dark side.

Jun/ko and Manerkol are such ROs that their villainess(?) draw me towards them in the first place, it’s fictional after all.

10 Likes

I’ve encountered it on both sides, though much more often with woman characters. People letting a villain slide because “hot woman ooga booga”. It depends largely on the target audience, though. Fandoms that are mostly straight men will be that way towards evil women, and fandoms that are largely straight women will be that way towards evil men. Not that an attraction to unhealthy fictional relationships is just a “straight thing”, just something I’ve noticed.

Apologies for taking us further off-topic, I just wanted to share my experience with it. :sweat_smile:

43 Likes

No problem, and it’s true for both, but I’ve just seen it mostly with male characters here and they’ll condemn and insult the female character who’s just as bad or not even as bad which always rubbed me the wrong way.

8 Likes

Understandably, a lot of people were fired up about the whole thing. See this is why I ended up on a pyre, not the accusations, the terrible humor.

4 Likes

My reaction to Junko in book 1-3: “stay away from me and my friends you crazy b****”
My reaction to Junko in book 4: “Everyone stay away from my crazy b****”

42 Likes

Hey, no judgement. People are into what they’re into. Whole point of the topic, if you boil it down.

More on topic:

A lot of people seem to dislike the will they won’t they 90s network drama romance of A in Wayhaven but I’ve come around on it, especially with what you can read of 3.

7 Likes

Is Darcy particularly disliked even? Most I’ve seen dig the dynamic. Me especially.

2 Likes

Oh yeah, featured often in “RO’s we hate”.

2 Likes

Darcy got pinned to the wall over in my thread. You’d have to look back through the posts a bit at this point, but they’re there.

I don’t see why people are being so scalding about it. There’s no reason to get so hot and bothered over an innocent little pun!

2 Likes

Oh, you would love Yang from Piofiore (otome)! His route is exactly as you described it :eyes::ok_hand:t2:

2 Likes

Yeah, definitely Leon from A Mage Reborn. :')

9 Likes

What exactly attracts you to such villains? I’m not judging by any means. I’ve toyed with the idea of writing a short story/novella with a villainous love interest. I’m not the type to be into objectively evil villains, so getting the opinion of someone who is would be helpful.

3 Likes