Y U G E N 幽玄 [Demo - 21/09/2017] - Updated

Please tell me what that is?

A tengu is a yōkai that either resembles a man with a bird head, or a long curved nose and a bright red or blue face.

A yuki onna is a type of yūrei (ghost) with snow and ice powers.

A tanuki is a raccoon dog (usually portrayed as just being a raccoon) yōkai that can perform supernatural feats using magic leaves or its testicles.

A kitsune is a fox yōkai with up to nine tails, with its number of tails being indicative of its age and power level.

An oni is a demon or ogre, usually depicted with tusk-like fangs, wearing a tiger pelt, and wielding a kanabo club.

5 Likes

ya know it’ll get really tiring after a while trying to find a metaphor for that tanuki organ. Maybe we should just call it for what it is. After all its just anatomy, ya know what I mean?

2 Likes

Weeeeeeeee~ A little sneak peak for the next update! The kimono selection for your MC’s first mission ;D finally finished drawing them hehehe

The top row are female only, second row male only and the third row are unisex. :smiley: In Japan kimono pattern signified a person’s gender and age. That’s why floral patterns and bright colours are usually reserved for females.

I hope these selections are enough and everyone have something they like >wwww< if not maybe you can suggest to me a few other patterns or colour? :blush:

32 Likes

Those look very pretty😁

I love them despite my hatred oh dresses-come-Kirimonos. Is there a chance that we could where the Japanese tops with the circular collar and you usually remember them being yellow and red with a Dragon snaking up the side. If you don’t know what I mean, I’m shall attempt to find a picture. Anyway, main question here…is there another clothing option besides Kirimono? I will understand if we are sticking with tradition here.

unless you want everyone to be naked, then I don’t think so. Pre-19th century, kimonos were the main form of clothing for everybody in Japan. It’s not until later, when Japanese came in contact with the west (thanks gods for Perry), that Japanese started wearing western clothes.

4 Likes

Im either picking the first kimono in the second row or the second one in the second row for my mc.

2 Likes

I like the second one in the first row, second in the second row, and the first in the third.

Also here is a useful reference for the meaning behind the patterns

http://www.kimono-clothing.com/page/27

7 Likes

Those look pretty nice. I wish I could draw, but alas.

1 Like

From your description, it sounded more like a Chinese Cheongsam than a Japanese apparel. D:

I really enjoyed your knowledge and insight about Japanese culture C: It warms my heart to know other people know about these stuff about my country.

9 Likes

Do you mean this?
Or this?

Those are both Chinese emperor robes, of the Ming and Qing dynasties, respectively. Either way, dragons are only reserved for emperors and other high-ranking nobles to wear to court, so I doubt we’d be allowed to wear that.

2 Likes

Sorry for jumping in! Anyway… according to what I know, during the Nara and Heian eras at least, male officials and nobles did indeed wear circular-collared robes. That’s because Japan borrowed a lot from China during the Nara period, including some clothes styles. Later they were relegated to only being worn by the imperial family and on special occasions.

The two words I have in my notes on these robes are “agekubi” and “sokutai”.

@Ros_e: aww thanks, I really appreciate that. I just love Japanese culture, I just picked up bits and pieces here and there throughout the year.

@lliiraanna: don’t quote me on this, but i think they wore them all the way til the Meiji. But as you said, it’s only wore by officials and people around the emperor and/or Shogun. Not really what people would probably like to wear normally. I’d imagine it wasn’t super comfortable compare to the simpler kimono. Fun fact: fashion trend during the Tokugawa shogunate was not set by court ladies or rich wives of merchant, but it was set by the high class courtesans in the Yoshiwara district. Interesting right?

4 Likes

ok guys, I was in the wrong culture there sorry…

There’s a reason why the MCs not wearing those robe instead >www< it’s one of the important plot lines. But Yay!!! More people who knows about the Nara, Heian Era o

Questions for you guys so far, do you have a general understanding of story yet? Or do you feel like I should explain more in the start (I am slowly going to reveal/explain the aspects of Onmyodo later in the sory, instead of all the heavy text at the beginning TwT but maybe some of you find it confusing without more detailed explanations?)

• Yes, I understand mostly
  • Nope, I need more details.
0 voters
3 Likes

I was surprised coming across this COG, since I just watched GARO: Crimson Moon and Tokyo: The Last Megalopolis, both of which heavily feature (fictionalized) onmyōdō. If there’s the option to name the RO’s I’m so going to name the oni “Yasunori Katō”.

From what I understand - which admittedly is very little - onmyōdō is a Japanese system of occultism and divination that originally melded Taoist and Shinto practices, played a heavy role in the Imperial court during the Heian period, and was originally opposed to Buddhism but later came to incorporate aspects of it.

Hey guys >w< Sorry for the delayed update D: had been on bed for days TwwwT caught a bad cold
But I’m back and running now >www< hope to update this piece soon :blush:

14 Likes

Happy too hear u are well now

4 Likes

Coding for the next update is almost done~~

I did not use any honorifics so far, I understand some may cringed when the text are floated with them, so I decided against using them. What do you guys think?

• I’m not a fan of honorifics in English text
  • I don’t mind.
  • I prefer having honorifics,it helps more with the immersion.

0 voters

And spoiler for your Miyamoto’s first assignment :wink: Jorogumo! ;D

1 Like