Someone asked on the Discord whether it was possible to make a ChoiceScript work only using an Android phone. I was curious to see and I figured out how it can be done. You’ll need a bunch of apps but it’s definitely possible. Here’s a step by step guide (all from your phone or tablet):
- Download the ChoiceScript source by clicking the link on this page: https://www.choiceofgames.com/make-your-own-games/choicescript-intro/. This will download a .zip file.
- Install an app for extracting .zip files. I used one called RAR.
- In your unzipping app, go to your downloads folder and select the .zip you just downloaded and click the extract icon.
- You’ll need to install a decent text editor that can insert tabs. I used one called anWriter.
- You’ll need to install a web browser that can open local htmls. I used Firefox for this.
- Create or edit files with your text editor in the scenes folder like normal to create your game.
- Open the index file in your browser to test it.
(This was tricky for me at first as there seemed no option for opening local files. So in RAR I opened Index.html in Firefox. It didn’t work until I gave Firefox permission to work with my storage. I gave that permission in my apps settings.)
If you’ve got any further questions on how I did this, do ask! It’s definitely easier to use a computer but I know that’s not an option for everyone.