Wizardry Level C (Draft completed)

Actually just looking over the instructions again. Should I have no create or set commands for the 2nd variable?

On the startup.txt

*create variablename 50 (or any other number)

On the stats page, below *stat_chat

opposed_pair variablename
    namea
    nameb

That is how I do it anyway, but if you want to have 1 real variable and 1 fake one then yeah, you should not create a second variable.

Ok thanks ballmot, I think that makes sense now :slight_smile:

I’ve put up an updated link for the story with a bit more coded. I’ve tried to address some of the railroading issues that were a concern. Hopefully it’s a bit better now. I’m trying to write some additional story lines into future chapters which is why they’re not up yet which will probably give more options again than the ones so far. (I’ll keep updating the link as I get more coded, it’s still a WIP so anyone who wants to wait, I’ll get it up as I can).

Known issues- opposed stats not currently working (not needed at this point in the story, will re-code them before then).

The ability specialities haven’t been changed for more detail or options at present because of some re-writing happening in later chapters and I haven’t 100% decided to keep that screen as it is.

It’s still a bit draft-ish I keep finding grammar issues so I suspect there’s more in there I’ve skipped over so sorry about that. Feel free to point them out to me if you’d like to though :smile:

Thanks again for the help!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/0hg4pcz21b1yu7t/Wizardry%20Level%20C(2).html?dl=0

1 Like

I’m so sorry I should have been more clear where to write the code. This link should help.

Thanks Silverstone. That was my mistake, I don’t know why I missed that in the instructions. I’ll fix it now :smile:

1 Like

No worries! Choice Script is a learning process. Everyone helps each other where they can. :smile:

2 Likes

Spotted a gender-flipped issue below (in bold):

You scoop the lizard up in your hands, trying to give it as much warmth as possible and jog down the road as fast as you can to a local park. The ground is muddy off the path but at least it means few people about and you can find a secluded spot to work your magic.

You pull out your magic book and flip to the section on healing spells. You find one which should work with what you have available. Snapping your fingers, you create a small flame which dances on the end of your fingertips. Tracing a rune in the air you intone the words “Sanos Vulnerare”. Trails of red light from your rune fracture off, wrapping the reptile in a red glow. When the light fades you’re delighted when the lizard gets to it’s feet and climbs into your waiting palm.

It looks up at you with glowing, intelligent eyes. You’ve created a bond with this creature and she has decided to stay with you and help where he can.

Thanks @Keira, I’ll fix it :slight_smile:

Hi Everyone, another update for the story, have written up to the end of the bunyip section, the rest is incomplete so hasn’t been included due to hitting lots of errors/half completed story lines.

Thank you to everyone for all the fantastic feedback I’ve been getting. I’ve tried to address a lot of it. There’s still a few known issues

The ability specialities haven’t been changed for more detail or options
at present because of some re-writing happening in later chapters and I
haven’t 100% decided to keep that screen as it is.

I know I probably need to try and take some of the “putting emotion onto the main character” in the writing but I’m finding it hard. I’ve left it as is for the moment as it was messing up my writing trying to fix it. I may have to try and change it when I’ve got the story down if it still seems like a big issue to everyone.

There’s likely some grammatical issues due to this still being a bit draft-ish in places, sorry about that, I fix them where I find them. Please point them out to me if you’d like :smile:

One thing I am having issues with is images. They display when I have them on my computer, but in the compiled version they’re broken boxes. Any solutions?

Feedback, comments, constructive crit all welcome.
(I’ll continue updating as I have sections completed).

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/937j1tv8cx02ut4/Wizardry%20Level%20C(3).html?dl=0

Edit- I fixed the broken [ i ] tags and the *set strikes tag

1 Like

The story seems to be developing a life of it’s own. The pages are mulitplying rather than staying to the story I originally planned (*every time I work on it, more things seem to come to mind.) Must be something to do with this style of writing. Anyone else find this?

Scope creep! There’s always a new fun feature on the horizon. Buckling down to complete the initial vision is much harder (and often less fun) than exploring the side passages.

1 Like

My current idea for the cover page. (Link to book stock used in accordance with the terms
http://inadesign-stock.deviantart.com/art/Book-7-Stock-183357716)

7 Likes

Sweet, that’s awesome!

1 Like

Cool but maybe different colors in the blast of arcane knowledge.

Thanks @fantom and @Generikb.

I did have a version where it had more colours in it and it kind of looked a bit weird and overly busy so I took the yellows and reds back out. I’ll see what it looks like if I maybe use more of a tint than outright coloured streamers :smile:

Ok one more update to bring everything up to date at the bunyip task side of things. The only new content is the branch off where you decline to go at this point leading to a few different story endings. (By the way, how many times you turn down assignments in the story will effect what story line you get from that jump off point).

Some of the achievements are not activated yet being in a later part of the book (Fame and Fortune, A+++, Passed, Dragon, Super Hero and Force for evil). They’re just there to remind me to put them in later :wink:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/j5565ubvzyatqq9/Wizardry%20Level%20C(4).html?dl=0

Um the game freezes when you enter the room with Merlin and he seemed angry at me for doing what I thought was a perfect job, so yay… But on a good note I rather like your story.

Thanks @Grey_Wizard

Hmm trying to work out exactly where it’s freezing. What were you doing at the point it does that (Sorry have a few intersections, not sure which is playing up). If it seems like the wrong response from the wizard maybe I’ve got a coding error

Actually I think I’ve found the one you’re talking about. Sorry about that. I’ve put a “finish” instead of an “ending” one (That’s the end of what’s been written for that plot so far so instead it’s skipped to another scene that it shouldn’t have which is why it’s freezing) Thanks for the help, I’ll fix the code.