Wip "Why Samurai"

I agree the stat screen needs work, English subs, and it could be cool if it mite have a description (maybe just a sentence) of how renown you are/get as you travel. And like Headhunter, I to was hoping to be more involved in the dual. But loving your work, I’m hoping as a fan of the total war games myself, there all be plenty of battle scenes and political betrayal :smiley:

I’d also suggest you put the infodump at the start in a separate section you can access on command. Sabres of Infinity would be a good example for that.
You throw in quite a lot of information in the beginning and I found myself copying some parts of that in a separate file so I could look it up again later on.
Alternatively, you could spread the info out over the course of story as to not overwhelm the player right at the beginning.

It also doesn’t feel right that there are explanations of the game mechanic inside the story itself. The explanations about the choice of a clan comes to mind first. As example:
[…]
"Note that your clan of origin can significantly influence where you start and your position in the events of the Sengoku period. Each clan will also influence your proficiency at certain Budo and Zen disciplines.

There are three historic clans to choose between in Why Samurai.

The Shimazu Clan. I hail from the southern province of Satsuma on the island of Kyushu. Recently you have come into contact with the nanban traders, while facing war with the rivaling Ito clan to the north. The Shimazu are famed for the honor and loyalty of their samurai, as such, you will receive a bonus to your honor. In war, the Shimazu have been known to combine the disciplins of Seido and Chikaku, Precision and Perception. They are adept at perceiving weakness, and know how to strike where it hurts most. "

[…]
I’d suggest taking an approach similar to “The Seven Winds” and put the clan description in the choice box instead of the story. I’m thinking something like this:
"You are a member of…

The Shimazu Clan, which hails from the southern province of Satsuma on the island of Kyushu and is famed for the honor and loyalty of their samurai. In war, the Shimazu have been known to combine the disciplins of Seido and Chikaku, Precision and Perception. They are adept at perceiving weakness, and know how to strike where it hurts most. Recently, they have come into contact with the nanban traders while facing war with the rivaling Ito clan to the north."

Regarding the story itself, I think it’s off to good start. Looks promising :slight_smile:

I don’t mind the way you have things set up now. The history stuff got boring after a while. In particular, the geography section was boring to me but I just skimmed it so no harm done there. The rest of the story was exciting. I was dreading the end because I wanted to go through the story more.

Am I the only person that thought the geography and history was actually interesting and not some thing you should not skip over?

I enjoyed most of the history parts. The geography just did not seem relevant to me, at the time.

seems interesting but I thought there were too few choices. It was more like a story than a game.

it wont let me play your game when i press on the link it says:Error (404)
We can’t find the page you’re looking for.

Can you send out the Link please! This one doesn’t seem to be working

How could i not see this before!? samurais are awesome! too bad the demo error 404s so i can’t play it :disappointed_relieved: every time i get shameful, i swear to god i’ll hear a small samurai in my head saying: DIS IS A SHAMEFUR DISPRAY!

You dishonor your famiry

1 Like

ugh this thread is 2 years old(no post from the tc) can we get a lock on this thread

Oh shit, i didn’t even realize that!

John, please stop necroing threads that haven’t had a post for more than a year.

Cause I’m feeling sad I missed this before it became an error 404 page ;-;

heck i wasn’t here last year when this was created just wanted play the game thats all-pounts-.

Seriously ? Half year means its pretty much KIA