[WIP] Untitled Medieval Fantasy RPG

Another one

Ah, and did I said that I’ve fixed all the bugs? :sweat_smile:

Great catch! Thanks.
I’ve fixed the bugs you mentioned, @Logan3000x. I hope you saved your progress not far, beforehand?

now is giving me this.
0.Prologue line 345: invalid @{} at letter 7; ‘ashot’ is equal to 0 which is not a positive number
another one
A.Setup line 100: Non-existent variable ‘’

That’s weird. Did you get that error from a save?
If so, may I ask at which position did you saved? And did you ignore the Shiv item completely (not touching it)?

no. restarted the game.

yes, I only took the cristal.

1 Like

Hm, I think I just saw the potential cause of the error. Hang on a 'sec.

There 'ya go. I’ve tested it and it should be fixed.
Not sure with other bugs that I haven’t found, though :sweat_smile:

I’ll check back later once I get my lunch done :stuck_out_tongue:

Heyyo, everyone!
I have a… not-so-pleasant news, but I’d like to keep you updated on what’s going on, here.

So, no update for today :slightly_frowning_face:
Last week, my classmates and I had a field study so I don’t have much chance to continue writing. The days are fully packed with activity, but it was a fun one! As a result, I got more ideas and materials that I can work into the story. Hopefully, you can see a bit or two of my field study results in the next several chapters. Expect nautical materials, oceanic banters, and Balinese vibe for at least the next chapter c:

Other than that, I’m thinking about a plan to implement a play-by-chapter feature.
I plan to monetize this feature upon full release, but while still in WIP, this feature will be available for free (since you’re beta-testing it!). So no worries :raised_hands:t4:
I have no details on it as of now, but basically, it works like arcade games where you can select level and play the game from there. I also already have some foundation and codes written for this feature, but it’ll take some time until it’s ready to be implemented.

So… yeah. That’s it.

What?
You want something concrete? You want something to look at?

Urgh… fine. Here you go. Speculate to your heart content.

Summary

5 Likes

Hello, folks. :wave:t4:
It’s time for…

A Not So Big Update

So, this time, we’ve got something new!

Yeah.
To be honest, I lost track of the things that got updated
But there’s a thing I feel obliged to tell you, and this time it’s about

HP and Stamina

Click here for details

HP and Stamina are two unseparated entities in my game. I want to capture that feeling of HP as a limited and valuable resource, while not punishing player too hard for making a mistake. Meanwhile, those who brave enough to take the risk should be rewarded handsomely.
So what are HP-Stamina?

1. HP (Health Points)

The number of fatal mistakes you can make before some dire consequences happened. Yup, HP in my game is not defined as a percentage. Instead, you get something like, “make 3 mistakes until you died,” for example.

Not all choices will punish you by losing an HP, but if you’re about to pick an option that can make you lose HP, I want it to be obvious to you so you can make an informed decision.

And what kind of dire consequences I’ve got in the store, you ask?
It’s something dire.

2. Stamina (SP)

If HP is the unit number, stamina is the percentage. SP is a resource required to make some action-choices where each option requires a different amount of SP.

Let’s say, :weight_lifting_man: weightlifting takes more SP than :walking_man: walking, and lifting a :hammer: big-ass hammer takes more SP than a :dagger: pity knife.
However, with a proper skill-build, you can reduce the amount of SP required, up to zero! (down to zero?)

However, if you have 0 SP, some of these choice-options might be unavailable. You can’t select them, and as a result, you’re forced to pick the “least satisfying option.” Or, maybe you’re still able to pick these options, but they will result in a fatal mistake: You lose your HP.

Making a fatal mistake will reduce your HP (generally one HP, don’t worry) and restores a percentage of your SP.

3. How Do They Work?

Say, you have 3 HP and 54% stamina. And then you got the option to a) run to a wall (100% SP), and b) step on a banana skin (30% SP).

HP and Stamina will be represented in this format at the top of the page

HP: ●●● | SP: 54%

(any objection from full-immersion mode players?)

If you pick a)

You’ll lose 100% SP, make a fatal mistake, and get your SP restored to a percentage.
(I’m still working on how much SP you’ll get back by making a fatal mistake, but here’s the basic idea of what you’ll get)
HP: ●●○ | SP: 85%
A bad consequence might also happen in the narration.
“You run to the wall, but since you don’t believe in yourself, you make a big bump on your head.”

If you pick b)

You’ll lose 30% SP
HP: ●●● | SP: 24%
The narration will also tell you that you slipped on the skin.

So, there you go. You can find the quick summary of this at the Main Post, as usual.
And here’s the list of things that got changed:
Yes, I remember now!

• New images!
  • Yet another improvement on the writing (a.k.a. editing and rewording)
  • Added checklist-box for a checklist choice sequence.
  • Reworking the stats screen. Yes, you still can’t view the stats screen. Sorry!

Or, is it? Do I?

5 Likes

I am liking the look of that cheat menu.

Hello folks :raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed:t4:

Since we’re doing this for a good time, I think I’m going to make this “Weekly Update” thing a kind of sacred ritual. If I break the rite, I must do something to make right of it and cleanse the corruption due to my ignorance.

So, what do you think?
What should I do to redeem my forgetfulness of “Weekly Update” ritual?
FYI, I’ll probably put the weekly update on Saturday/Sunday, my timezone (so it should be around Friday/Saturday for most of you, guys).
But please be easy on me

Now, onto the actual “update” itself!

To be honest, there’re not many things done. It’s been a… lazy week, this week :"

So, as a compensation for that, I’ll put up a poll of 4 topics. Choose at most 2 topics from the list, and the first to reach 15 votes will be explained in-depth-ly by yours truly.
And I’ll try to answer all questions you have.

Without further ado, here we go.

Pick 2 (or one)

• One of the listed character (bio, appearance, backstory, etc.). Tell me which :crown: :bust_in_silhouette: NPC would you like to hear the most, and the one requested by the majority wins :wink:
  • One of the stat/mechanics (how do they work, see the actual code, balance, can I cheat them)
  • Some lore that will appear in the game (history, kingdoms/empires, state of the technomagic, the “how are you gonna implement the tropes and clichés of anime in a realistic 13/14th century medieval world hah?!”, and “why realistic 13/14th medieval in the first place?”)
  • What about dragons?
0 voters

Ah, what? What cheat?
:kissing: :notes:

Purely from the coding perspective, I admire what you have set out to do (never mind writing quests, NPCs, worlds etc.). As a casual fan of both CYOA and RPGs I look forward to whatever you have in store for us.

Additional comments

Everything you’re about to experience are tentative.

is

The wind blasts around you, howling a weird tone of velocity to your ears.

into

Under such a heavy pressure,

without the “a” (I think)

Falling before you is a lifeless body of an unknown creature. And as it happens, both your hands clenched on the handle of a sword. This sword pierces through the body, right through the heart.

I’m a bit confused on what is happening here. The creature falls before you (as in in front of you? Or is it falling faster than you?) and your hands clench on the sword. This same sword than pierces through the already dead creature?

Its light illuminates you, unveiling the corpse and the sword beneath.

Beneath what? The MC? When did it get beneath the player? Is our character falling with the sword stuck into the beast’s heart?

Its surreal glow catches your attention, and wipes your consciousness. A quick glance into his eyes and your mind suddenly wiped out.

So both my consciousness and mind are wiped up? That sounds bad :stuck_out_tongue: But I think it would be better if you wrote something like:

Its surreal glow catches your attention, but one quick glance into his eyes and your mind (suddenly) shuts down.

The sword in your hand pulses a pure, bright light. With it, you feel holy energy surging from your arm, cleaning your mind from foul images and restores your consciousness.

The sword in your hand is pulsating with pure, bright light. Holy energy surges through your arm into your body, cleansing your mind of foul images, slowly restoring your consciousness.

You shake your head and find that the beast’s eyes still glowing right at you, but you’re no longer deceived by his stare.

How were we deceived before? Did he cast an illusion on us, when we first looked into his eyes?

You glance at the sword in your hand. It pulses a series of white light; the light of the sun itself in your hand. With each pulse, you feel like you understand something more. You know what you have to do next.

Your sword continues to glow, a series of white lights reflecting the very sun itself. With each pulse, you feel your understanding grow. You know what you have to do next.

This is as far as I have gotten into the demo. Hope it helps :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I would love to see the lore!

Summary

Yep!

You’re correct.

The creature attempted to fight you off, and in this case, using a powerful illusion magic. Just as you read before (and I suppose I have to rewrite that phrase again :sweat_smile:)

Its surreal glow catches your attention, but one quick glance into his eyes and your mind (suddenly) shuts down.

And thank you for all the findings, @kirakana! I see that I still have a lot of phrases that can be improved. Hmm… :eyeglasses:

:tophat: Easy, young one. The vote is yet to reach 15 votes, which is the number required if you want me to spill out the beans.

And while at it, which part of the lore would you like to learn more?
Should I start with the destination of your voyage? Or maybe about that crazy dream of falling high in the sky? Maybe the backstory of the MC?

But what about dragons?

1 Like

I would love to see whatever you are willing to share.

Alright, folks.
Lore got 17 votes, and Character got 16. Unless I miscounted, the Lore is the winner! Yay :sparkler:

This time, I’ll bring up the topic about the Black Eyes and their implication in the daily life of the people of Valena. I might also nudge a topic about two prominent metaphysical powers in the universe: The Darkness and The Light.

It’s lore time!

The Black Eyes

Every living being possesses a soul. And that soul belongs to someone; to something. If they don’t belong to one, they will always belong to the other.

When a Soulcore emits the characteristic of white aura, that Soulcore belongs to the Light. That soul is blessed by the Light. With their blessing, we have sentience, we have agency, we have the power to live and heal.

However, when a Soulcore emits the characteristic of a dark aura, it belongs to the Darkness. It is corrupted.

And Darkness will always corrupt.
Unity they might promise you, power they might grant you, faculty they might bestow you, but their blessings are different from ours.

No. Theirs is not even a blessing. They don’t bless, they don’t give.
Darkness only corrupts, only takes.

If your family practiced the art of Dark Magic, you’ll still have the chance to save them from corruption, as long as they don’t give in to the promise of the Darkness: to exchange their Light for the one of the Darkness.

But if they already did, if they have the Black Eyes, then they’re beyond saving. To put them to eternal rest is the best of their fate, as being corrupted is a fate worse than death itself.

In that case, the Paladin will take a good care of them. Please support their mission in any way you can. Any action or deed that is deemed as an attempt to fail their mission is considered a big crime, punishable by a public execution of the White House’s choice.

– End

And that’s it!
If you see a Black Eyed in your journey, try not to do anything creative. Report them to local authorities, and you can move on with your happy life. Everything will be fine.
Unless you’re a Paladin, of course.

As for the character, I think I need more time for it. I’m not really confident to reveal their motive if they don’t have a proper motivation in their life, yet :sweat_smile:

That being said, have you checked out the Main Post?
If not: 2 new characters have been added NPC N and A! Placeholders for our lovable narrators that you may don’t care about their existence.

And don’t worry if your voted topic didn’t win. Their lore and explanation will arrive eventually, and I might put up another vote for another big reveal :grimacing:

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. If you want to reopen your WiP, contact the moderators.