[WiP] The Golden Eagle

Bah, such defeatist, realist pessimist talk, besides twenty years of incremental, two steps forwards and one step back “reforms” (provided we get lucky, otherwise we’d be the one step forwards, two steps back side) is far less exciting then a good revolution.

I know you need a taste of some good revolutionary music and hopefully the Republican Anthem!

1 Like

very nice music but I a royalist and the Empire doesn’t need the chaos or madness revolution brings. I be helping crushing the revolution just like the ones in 1848 were

2 Likes

Whereas I consider the failure of those 1848 revolutions across Europe to be one of our great historical tragedies.

Regardless, that’s a very Hobbesian point of view personally I find the increasing tyranny of the current Emperor and his little “exalted council” of the most reactionary nobles must be stopped, one way or another…
Again from a very selfish pov I think a successful revolution will bring the better career opportunities for my mc.

1 Like

ever consider you be a victim of the revolution… losing your head, their also being exiled without a penny to your name or throw in a dirty prison. Mobs are dangerous one day their on your side the next their dragging you out of bed to face Mob justice

The capricious whims of absolute monarchs are no better than the whims of the mob and unlike the mob most people have no hope whatsoever of ever being able to influence absolute monarchs.

1 Like

better than being drag through the street with a Mob screaming for my death, mocking me, being kill in some horrible way then maybe ripping my body to pieces or parade before being toss in a unmarked grave or mass grave

I aim for constitutional Monarch. They that will best to aim for without too much blood shed.

2 Likes

@idonotlikeusernames your homeland was a puppet to the French for most of those wars and invaded quite a few times. So perhaps you should feel some sympathy in regards to revolutions ending with piles of dead who were already a sort of Republic and didn’t want to be involved in this nonsense.

I’ll note that absolute monarch or in more recent history absolute dictators have been fond of doing exactly that, particularly the dismemberment and the dumping into unmarked mass graves.
Really the mob, the absolute monarch, same result, except that there is always a tiny chance of influencing the mob, for the average guy and virtually none of influencing the absolute monarch.

My homeland has been somebody’s possession or puppet, numerous times, the Austrians, the French, the Germans, the Spanish, the English (de-facto only) and it has never lasted, but that is the danger of coming from a tiny country.
In large part because a variation of this has always proved to be their undoing:

Except take swamp a bit more literal here. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

True, but in this game, right now, the Emperor and his little “exalted council” are moving further and further away from the Empire being constitutional or Republican, if they stay in power the best result is something akin to Putin’s psuedo democratic Russia with a rubber stamp Directory that has only a place for his hardline reactionary allies and utter jokes for the “opposition”, enter the Empire’s Zhirinovsky equivalent. :unamused:
That said some sort of constitutional monarchy, preferably with a new Emperor, would likely be the optimal and least bloody outcome for the country, with the likely drawback that it would probably offer very disappointing prospects for our mc’s career. Say hello to becoming a mid-level civil servant or being stuck at Capitaine forever. :unamused:

1 Like

The problem with trying to be a centrist in a polarising environment is that if @Goshman was mean. He’d make both extremists try to murder you.

Thus you get to kill radical Republicans and Ultra-Conservatives at the same time.

Since we are “purged” to a teaching position anyway in the end and this is not a @Cataphrak game, I don’t think that will happen, rather both potential regimes will distrust us and dump us into that teacher position a couple years early.

What the hell does that mean?
Are you implying I don’t have a mean streak?

I’ll have you know that I’m the regular Dungeon Master in my D&D group, so be careful what you wish for.

I had a Bugbear hit the Dwarf rogue of the party so hard upside the head that his head went inside his ribcage!

4 Likes

It just means that whatever mean streak you have it is not as mean and sadistic as the stuff @Cataphrak regularly pulls on his poor readers/players. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It’s been far too long since I had the opportunity to participate in one…if only I lived in Finland.

Failed dice rolls usually produce the most hilarious results, particularly given easy resurrection. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

It’s a little early to say the MC was necessarily “purged”. It might well just be a 1 hour, 1 day/week advanced seminar class at the empire’s most prestigious institution of learning that the MC was invited to do given their stature and first hand knowledge of the course subject. There is a not insignificant overlap between the top levels of government and academia, and the MC might well have a separate “day job”.

1 Like

True, there are enough hints though, imho, the foremost being the extremely young age of the students and our more than passing familiarity with the class.

True, but again the age of the students and our mc;s seeming familiarity with them implies a school, not a university, setting if anything.

On the one hand I agree that the ages of the students are a little young for a university, while on the other the course material seems rather demanding for just another school in the country. So I’m getting a very serious prep school for the nation’s elite sort of vibe to it. The next generation of the nation’s leaders are being given the opportunity to learn from the MC, and upper level prep school classes have often been run like university classes.

1 Like

My advice would be to tease more romance subplots and answer questions with more deceptively-worded jedi-truths.

11 Likes

Speaking of more romance plots, sign me up for the de Reyer fan club. I was extremely disappointed when the dance at the Isle-de-Serein didn’t happen, and didn’t understand why if my MC had to be shown around as a hero, he couldn’t have been shown around to the upper crust on the duc’s arm at the dance. Bah. :stuck_out_tongue:

And while we’re at it, I don’t quite understand why de Louvais gets the feminine comtesse title but de Reyer gets the masculine title of duc. Shouldn’t de Reyer be a duchesse instead of a duc?

5 Likes

Similar to empress/emperor Wu I think