(WIP) Magician's Voyage | Mini Update Feb 25th, 2023

i love this so much ive been looking at this for five hours insert

didnt play demo yet, really fell in love with this image

1 Like

I looove this so much!!! You are awesome dear author and I’m super excited <3

3 Likes

Im back, very excited to dig more into this

1 Like

Thanks so much to everyone who’s played the update, and for the kind words! I’m planning a smaller/mini update next, with a few expanded RO interactions and possibly a revised intro. After that it will be on to Chapter 4

I also have some character art to share! Here’s Rem and their flower coat, by the very talented @nerdferatum:sparkles:

“The flowers are woven into the fabric, and, with small amounts of Green Magic, I can influence them, depending on my moods."

They make a fluid gesture with their hand, and clusters of purple carnations expand and open in demonstration.

“I’d hardly call it an ostentatious display of Green Magic. An ostentatious fashion display? Definitely,” they laugh.

9 Likes

Ngl bud I thought it said “Michigan voyage” and I was like

“Wow that sounds like a scary horror game”

3 Likes

Lol! There are some kinda creepy parts in the game, but nothing that’s straight-up horror so far. Might have been different if it was set in Michigan :rofl:

1 Like

Curiously I got Luc, even though I have no interest interacting with him whatsoever, he’s so far pretty boring. Just by the descriptions I like Rem, but Aja is proving interesting too.

1 Like

Yeah the quiz can give some odd results if your choices are spread out a lot across the different “personalities”. Glad you liked Rem and Aja tho! They are definitely some of my favorites as well.

Also not sure if you played the update yet, but the final ch 2 scene with the concert is probably one of the more interesting Luc appearances :wink:

4 Likes

Made this pixel art of the main cast and thought I’d drop it here :slightly_smiling_face:

22 Likes

BONUS CONTENT

As promised, here’s some deleted scenes from the most recent update of Chapter 2! These scenes were cut for pacing or story reasons. All-in-all, there’s over 2,000 words of additional content, featuring, among other things:

• Fantasy OSHA violations
  • Magic makeup
  • Awkward dinner conversation
  • Weaponized, light-up heelys

Play Here (this isn’t the link to the regular demo, it’s a separate link):
https://dashingdon.com/play/arlo-elm/magicians-voyage-deleted-scenes/mygame/

(Please note, these scenes are a little buggy/less polished compared to the regular demo. I believe all the individual scenes are working properly when played individually, but when played in the context of the full chapter, you may run into some errors. Let me know about game-breaking errors and I’ll try and fix those :relaxed:)

8 Likes

A small update: I just added neopronouns the game! So you’ll be able to choose from a list of neopronouns, or input your own custom ones :slight_smile:

The game now includes the pronouns:

• She/her
  • He/him
  • They/them
  • Ey/em
  • Zie/hir
  • Xe/xir
  • Fae/faer
  • Sol/sun
  • Custom pronouns (enter your own)

Thank you @HarrisPS for the sample code!! <3
(Anyone else interested can view the code here )

11 Likes

Some really neat pixel art, I love the premise of the game. And Kel :face_holding_back_tears:

4 Likes

Hi everyone! Progress has been steady. I’m about 7,000 words into the first draft of Chapter 4, and I’m continuing work on the expanded sections and revised intro. I ran into a bit of a roadblock trying to figure out a new character introduction, but I’ve (hopefully) solved that now :relaxed:

Thanks so much @eury! Glad you’re enjoying the game! I’ve been working a lot on expanding Kel’s backstory, so hopefully will have some more choice Kel Content for you soon.

In other news, it’s been almost a year since I first released the demo! I’m having a small giveaway on tumblr to celebrate, in case anyone here is also interested. Thanks so much to everyone who’s stuck around, and everyone who’s joined in on the journey since it’s begun :sparkles:

12 Likes

Hi everyone! Small art & bonus item update:

tumblr_ac9a99f684010c043bd99eedfd72b79e_d4fac548_640

You unfold the knife, revealing a blade of Damascus steel. The handle is inlayed with mother-of-pearl and a small red garnet which, when examined closely, appears to depict a shield severed by a jagged line.

As you turn the knife over in your hand, a faint shiver of energy runs up your arm and down your spine.

“Whatever this is,” you whisper, “it’s powerful.”

This knife was designed and drawn by @honeylemonbutte, one of the winners of the giveaway, and will be obtainable in later chapters! Right now it’s looking like it will show up in chapter 5, but you’ll have to find it :wink:

And as for the specifics of its magical attributes…you’ll have to play to find out <|;^)

14 Likes

Hi again everyone! I’m continuing work on Chapter 4, as well as a method for coding multiple pronouns for the MC (for example, “he/they”, “she/they”, etc), which will probably be added in a mini-update in the near future.

Also have some more amazing fan art from @honeylemonbutte, this time of the dinner scene from Chapter 2, with Aja, Rem, and honeylemon’s MC, Vera (seriously, check out those watercolor skills! And that sunset! :purple_heart: :orange_heart: :purple_heart:)

Thanks again everybody! Hope you’re all having a good summer :slight_smile:

17 Likes

Hi all. Still working on Chapter 4, plus another bonus item from the giveaway. I’ve also added Magician’s Voyage to IFDB, so if anyone wants to review or rate it there, feel free :slightly_smiling_face:

Anyway, on to the bonus item! This item will show up later in the game (likely in Chapter 5). It was designed by @lifesupreme-if, and pixel art is by me :mushroom:

Pixel art (gif warning)

mushroom

Your hands lift it from its place in the [REDACTED]. You can only guess at how old it might be, how long it’s spent here locked away.

The mushroom’s cap glows softly as mycorrhizal filaments stretch from the bottom, wiggling like grasping fingers, like it’s aware it’s being held.

You watch the shifting colors, and a gentle warmth blooms in your chest, pulsing in time with the fungal light.

Like the other bonus item (viewable in post 74 in this thread), you’ll have to find it in-game to learn all it can do </:^)

Thanks again everyone. Hope you’re all doing well.

12 Likes

Another Update: The rough draft of Chapter 4 is complete! Now for editing.

Chapter 4 will take place almost entirely aboard the airship, La Fortuna. Here’s some art of the airship and its magic-powered forcefield by the very talented @regal-bones

Gleaming brass machinery studs the leytrawler’s seedpod hull. The engines rumble, the ship rises into the air, and a glowing shield bubbles protectively around the vessel. La Fortuna is ready to depart. Are you?

Moving Gif Version

image_optimized (2)

16 Likes

Hi all. Not much new to report. Still plugging away at Ch4. I’ve been having some health problems that have caused some delays, but I’m hoping to have a tiny update with multi pronouns (she/they, he/they, etc) sooner rather than later. Hope you’re all doing ok.

Take care everybody <3

16 Likes

Hey all, I’ve just updated the demo with some new pronouns, and a few other things!

Play the Demo Here

New Features:

• Multiple sets of pronouns (she/they, he/they, she/they/he, etc) for the MC, including up to three sets of custom player-input pronouns
  • Nonbinary woman, nonbinary man, agender, and genderfluid options in character creation
  • New facial hair and makeup options :man_mage::nail_care::sparkles:

I also just released some sample code for multiple interchangeable pronoun sets, that you’re welcome to use in your own projects too :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ll be taking a break for a bit after this to focus on some IRL medical stuff, but I’ll still be working on Chapter 4. Thanks everybody. Take care <3

14 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. If you want to reopen your WiP, contact the moderators.