WIP: Heal (Working Title)

I was testing again. Had an idea for a sub-plot, lets say the MC selects, “go back into the tavern to get some assistance” then “Remain silent. If Otho wishes to use the artefact as a token to help your brother, then you won’t question it.” followed by “Shaken. Your brother means the world to you, to see him harmed like this makes you feel weak.” and “There’s no use dwelling on such things. Otho’s intervention meant you’d never need to find out.” in chapter one and then in chapter two select ““Well if you’re sure?” you respond. No sense in arguing with the man”.

This sets up a further series of options where the MC is given the choice of either asserting independence from Otho or displaying an unhealty dependance on him that the other characters notice.

@ Bloodwyche
Thanks for the spot on the spelling error, fixed it now :slight_smile:

Re the suggestions above about Otho…I’m hoping to make the relationships you build pivotal to the experience. Choices you make will mean you build up better relationships with other characters than others, so I think it would definitely be interesting to have other characters react to how the MC associates with others in the group. A heavy reliance on one character, whether it be Otho or any of the others, won’t pass without comment I think - whether there’d be some gentle ribbing if it’s apparent the MC has a crush on Otho, to outright disdain if the MC gets a bit too clingy.

@bawpie
Perhaps if the MC does get clingy to Otho or one of the other characters then it turns into jealousy and thence into the classic dilemma/tempation for the MC of using their healing skill to harm.

@bawpie
A further idea. If the MC does not learn to use the bow in the first chapter & does not ask to learn how to fight in the second chapter, have one of the other characters offer to teach her to do so in the next campfire chapter. If the MC says no, the present options allowing the player to chose the reason given for not wanting to learn.

I’m thinking of linking the WIP to the IFDB, but would not do so without your permission.

IFDB?

@Antitorpiliko

Interactive Fiction Database.

@Bloodwyche I like the idea about the combat. As someone who is a healer, it would make sense that the MC might not want to injure others. I’ll definitely keep that in mind. I hadn’t thought about the MC using the healing skill to harm actually, but that is the plot line of another character that I’m planning to introduce (The people of Kalt view Daia healers with suspicion for a reason!). Still, you’ve given me something to think about :slight_smile:

Re linking to IFDB, it’s certainly something I’d think of doing at some point, perhaps when I finish the first chapter? I’ll admit to have been distracted by Xcom this past week, but there’s still lots of ideas bubbling in my head, I just need to get them down!

@bawpie

I look forward to seeing how chapter one changes. Further on the idea about learning to fight, perhaps tie Otho’s reaction to whatever decision(s) the MC makes when they make in the scene where Eric goes after Piotr.

I shall never play this unless the MC is a male. >:(

I’d try it once but thats about it. Just cuz its so good.

@Bawpie

Hope the distractions don’t last too long. Am eagerly awaiting the updated first chapter and my first glimpse of chapter 3.

@Bloodwyche Thanks, I’m afraid my day job has been interfering - I’ve been doing a lot of coding at work (more than usual), so when it comes to getting home I’ve not been able to face more coding! Thanks for your comments though, I’ll be hopefully having a few long weekends off in December so I’ll try and crack on and get the first chapter finished!

@Talon5505 - that’s fair enough. I’d consider doing an MC as male at some point, but for now I find it easier writing from a female pov. It’s weird though because I think I enjoy playing games from a male pov more than a female pov, even though I’m female! Maybe because I grew up used to games not having a female protagonist usually.

@Cloudian - I’m a bit like that. I don’t usually replay games too much.

@bawpie Welcome back, glad to see you’re still at it!

SHE LIVES !!! [-O<

@CJW Thanks, it’s nice to see work on the wiki continues :slight_smile:

@Roslyn_samalt06 Yes I do! :smiley: Though not in a massively productive way I must admit!

Thank god you didn’t die or the game for that matter! 8-> I agree with having a male version of this game you wouldn’t have to change much just a little text here and there not saying this because I prefer the male version games just saying it should be fair but don’t let that change your characters or story they are absolutely brilliant please don’t kill this game I will be willing to help you if you want with text sorry but I can’t code but I’m good at idea , character, and sentence building if you ever need and extra hand

I’ll never use my Daija! … Even if it means I have to use sticks as tools and Fungus as a medicine!

That is what it means happy_chan

@Roslyn_samalt06 Nah I’m not dead or anything like it :). Re a male MC, if I were to do it, I wouldn’t be interested in doing a text swap like you see in the official COG. I’d want it to change the way the game plays out to make it worth while playing as both. So…I need to finish the female version first I guess!

@Happy It’s interesting to see that you wouldn’t use your Daia. There will never be a point where it’s the only option, but there could be situations that might make you sorely tempted to choose it :wink: On the other hands, there will definitely be situations where it’d be a terrible idea to use it!

In terms of progress, I’d say I’m a few weeks away from finishing up the second part of this chapter. Because I do want to finish this game, I’m starting to realise that I need to be a bit more organised than I have been, and that means mapping out my current structure so I can track variables properly so I can easily decide what are realistic checks later on in the game. Once I’ve done that, which could take the best part of this week, I’ll work on finishing the second part of this chapter.

Well…

Umm…

I won’t do it.

*Breaks down sobbing*

I WON’T DO IT!

*Recovers*

Eh, I’ll just let the poor Person die. I’ll just let Nature run it’s course then. Because trying my hardest to heal someone manually I think, is an honorable action.