Dragon Butcher WIP

Hi friends, here we have the first 4 chapters of my game. Mary suggested I post them here for feedback and first impressions. I plan on updating once a month.

Dragon Butcher is a dark fantasy story about a far-flung town trying to figure out its place in a medieval-ish civilization reemerging from a magical apocalypse. You play as a field agent hired to manage threats and protect survivors. How you define “manage,” “threat,” and “survivor,” is up to you.

Demo version of the game

Content Warnings for violence, gore, dysfunctional families (chosen and otherwise), cults, intergenerational trauma, classism, at least two bad puns, and kissing.

ETA: May 9, 2023. Dragon Butcher bug report now available! Please screenshot bugs and pop them in the doc to avoid spoilers in the thread.

ETA: February 2024. Ch6 is up, featuring one-on-one time with different NPCs! Enjoy your “date.”

119 Likes

Welcome @Wonderbeast ! Very excited for Dragon Butcher to be shared with the wider community as a WIP. I’ve had the pleasure of working on this game with Summer and I know they’ll welcome feedback from the forum.

12 Likes

How exciting! This sounds like it’ll be a treat - I’ll dive in soon but in the meantime, thank you for sharing!

6 Likes

Looks good so far. I think you should implement a save system, I just got to a bug in chapter 3 and now have to start over…

2 Likes

Noooo! Thank you for your sacrifice. I’ll fix it.

1 Like

Hit a bug upon starting chapter 3 plus a save system would be Hella useful.

2 Likes

Oops! Good catch, I’ll fix.

Save slots added.

Needs more of a description of story

1 Like

Seems a little weird to be called an indiscriminate killer and “terrorizing” a shapeshifter when I told the shapeshifter to flee.

So either the game forgot my character’s behavior or the whatzit is overly judgmental.

2 Likes

Good to know how it landed! It looks like the code did track the choice correctly re: V’s first impression of you, but I can tweak the language.

Do you remember which was your first adventure in town (fireflies, tavern plants, traps everywhere, chilling with your old friend, or going on patrol)? I want to make sure there are comparable opportunities to be pro-monster in each of these sections.

Thanks for giving it a look!

1 Like

I checked in on the injured guard and saw the illusionary fireflies and encountered the scorpion like creature, if that’s what you mean.

1 Like

Perfect. Thanks!

Oh I love this already! :heart: Too bad the one that I was planning on romancing isn’t a option. (Won’t mention the name cuz I don’t want to spoil)
Definitely look forward to more updates~

1 Like

The details in your writing @Wonderbeast are remarkable.

You have a talent to say a lot without overwhelming the reader in details.

I’m still thinking over the demo as a whole right now, but the world you have created seems both deep and engaging, and right now, that is important.

3 Likes

G might open up later depending on whether or not you dissolve their current relationship. Big V is available, little V is not.

There’s gonna be a big festival just before the climax where you can at least smooch some NPCs, e.g. L/H/R, even if you can’t ride off into the sunset with them. If you have your eye on someone do let me know.

1 Like

You’re too kind!

1 Like

I was aiming for our dear Jennit, may he rest in peace :sob:

1 Like

I’m so pleased that storyline left an impression! Thank you for letting me know.

1 Like

“The the arrow flits harmlessly”

The story looks great so far, can’t wait to murder more animals as inhumanely as possible.

1 Like