[WIP?] Dust: A Fallout-esque Choice Game

Would a gold-based economy work? Does gold have a value/worth? Although I think we’re overthinking this.

Hmm there’s got to be resources though you can look up to provide inspiration.

I’d cheat. I’d use energy crystals or something. A futuristic technology that acts as a power-source similar to batteries and which people trade. Or use actual diamonds.

You could use medicine? Antibiotics or something? Or less legal drugs?

Seeds do have a number of problems since they can become sterile and whatnot if stored improperly.

Although maybe you come into town. You barter there for the local currency, or agree to work a set amount of hours or something. You use the local currency to buy your drinks etc and then barter out your money again into supplies when you’re leaving.

@FairyGodfeather
Energy crystals eh? I like that… I think I can adapt my background for the apocalypse around that…

A little off topic but I remember in Far Cry 2 diamonds were the currency, and the protagonist carried millions of it worth in him, only using it to buy guns, lol.

My major concern here is being criticized for unoriginality, now that I think about it, STALKER had a system where rare radioactive artifacts are battled for constantly, and the game essentially revolved around that.

I essentially stole the SPECIAL system from fallout, if I go through with it, but it was such a good idea Bethesda :frowning:

Your currency system doesn’t need to be original. It’s not a trading game is it? The currency is just there, in the background. So use whatever you like, even if that’s baseball cards. :slight_smile: Or gum.

Or just use creds as a currency, you don’t need to go into depth about how it works. Just give everyone a cred-chip, of course that’d rely on computers still working and people actually honouring the currency.

@Incompatibility I’m not a shoe or car person, just aslong as it does it’s job it’s good enough me, though I do feel myself wanting to buy questionable stuff from time to time, I today wanted to buy a mouth grill… Maybe I can have an Energy Crystal Mouth Grill?

EDIT: I know mouth grillz are generally ugly, but I want one. Not a tacky gold kind but like a badass blue one or something.

Well guys thanks for the input, I really wish there was a poll feature though. I’ll think this currency situation through, and hopefully very soon a demo will be up!
@2Ton maybe it can shoot lasers too! Instead of the powerfist we have the powermouth!

@Incompatibility Hell yah!!

I know I’m late on this currency thing but how about Nuts and Bolts?

How about just old world coins? I’m sure there are lots lying around.

I kinda like having Coconuts as a currency just as a troll factor

I have 6 Coconuts now… that means im rich :3

@hahaha01357 @trollhunterthethird
I decided I want to use something that also has a practical value attached to it, such as bullets, or medicine, or hell, even energy crystals. This is because more people in the apocalypse would be more likely to recognize it as currency, instead of an item that was deemed valuable. Nuts and bolts aren’t really that usable in the apocalypse, and coins would be fine if they were still made out of precious metals like copper, silver, and gold. Nowadays pennies are just zinc with a copper coating :frowning:

@2Ton
That reminded me of the setting I should use for the apocalypse. Originally I was going to do somewhere desert-like, but your coconut currency idea brings up the possibility of a tropical apocalypse!

What do you guys want to see the setting as?

Well, one thing to remember about early currency ('cause we are talking about early currency here, the same as the medieval period and earlier), is that it’s main point is that it’s valuable in and of itself. Gold was considered to be valuable in light enough quantities to carry, and indeed it may return to value, but it’s just not gonna be common enough to base a currency around in a post-apocalyptic world. Bullets (in an extremely violent world) would make sense, but they also get spent fast. Of course then there are people that can press new ones, so it’s not like they are all gonna disappear.

As for actual content, I’d recommend starting from the top. Remember that if you want it hosted it needs to be definitively original content.

@Reaperoa
I should have thought about that earlier, luckily this is still in its early stages so I can recover. :slight_smile:

@Incompatibility I got the greatest idea ever in the world… I think it’s about time for me to learn about responsibility and the true worth of currency so i’ll go to a loan place and imma ask for a gajillian zillion hundred dollars. My credit is horrible and im in pretty horrible debt as is, but hopefully. I can talk them into giving me the money,
And If can collect enough Coconuts to pay off my debts, I can retire at the tender age of 134 I have such great goals.

I want to go back into the Victorian era, take some modern technology and introduce them as my own and make LOADS of it. Or I could pitch out the time-machine I used to get there and become a trillionaire.

@trollhunterthethird Thomas Edison would steal your ideas and claim them for his own.

@FairyGodfeather Or murder your dog to discredit them.

Since everyone knows the truth behind Edison… I would like to come forth from the depths of silence to declare that I created the Light Bulb, but it was stolen from me.

Yes, I am one of the many unsung heroes of history.

@2Ton
So would you use that borrowed money to start a coconut farm?
@trollhunterthethird
Don’t let your time machine fall into the wrong hands!
An allusion to Bioshock infinite perhaps?

:stuck_out_tongue:

@Incompatibility Yes, I would create my own hybird coconut farm and breed the hybirds with fruits and I would go Breaking Bad and make the Coconuts blue and everyone is gonna want some Blue Coconuts but they can only get it through me… Or I go into the next best idea a blacksmith shop that doubles as a pizzeria

Ok guys I made a poll regarding the trading.

http://poll.pollcode.com/57jd1

@2Ton
Don’t forget to breed the coconuts with the coca plant. Lol cocainuts, see what I did there?