[WIP?] Dust: A Fallout-esque Choice Game

I might be able to get a demo up within a couple of weeks, latest being spring break for me. I’ll be sure to apply some of your ideas guys! Stay tuned.

Well get ready to be sue by Obsidian.

@Player, bethesda own the rights to fallout

sounds awesome. will be waiting for this!

Will the mood be dark and gritty or crazy but fun.

@Incompatibility GO FOR IT DUDE, I WOULD DEFINITELY PLAY THIS GAME!! I don’t think there would be any legal issues if you are careful, for example the Mobile Armored Marine user made game is, iam pretty sure based on the Warhammer space marine universe some, and that game was pretty good. What kind of stats/classes/equipment/areas/story paths/MC backgrounds/features/etc… will be included in the game?

@Pplwhohaventplayedanyfalloutgames You don’t have to be familiar with the Fallout to want to/like playing a game based on it, long as the author makes sure to detail the things ppl would be unfamiliar with. And as I said up above I am pretty sure the Mobile Armored Marine game is based the the Warhammer Universe to some extent, and when I first played it I didn’t know about the Warhammer franchise at all yet I still enjoyed the game alot!

@GameJunkie a mix of both
@Cloudian I was going for a more New Vegas feel since I liked that gameplay wise over Fallout 3. Won’t be any classes, it’ll be more like the beginning of F:NV, where the doctor asked you questions. But if you aren’t satisfied with what it gives you following the test, I’ll have an option to allocate points. Like the previous fallout games, I’m going for a universal background for all players, but the ability to do anything afterwards. flip flopping between caravan guard, ark survivor, born in the wasteland, or member of the now defunct government.

@Incompatibility Good to know and hope the game is coming along well.

As a Fallout and COG fan, I simply cannot wait.

This might be delayed a little as I try to figure out choicescript, so bear with me guys :wink:

I are interested

Typically though, there are a couple advantages from adopting a universal currency system, which you have to keep in mind.

(For what it’s worth, this is something I barely remember from an econ lecture far too long ago.)

Currency: is it worth something in itself, or is it considered a representation of worth, backed by the government or some other party? (Worth in itself: using gold coins. Representation: dollar bills.)

Is it portable? (If your currency is, say, coconuts, is it really worthwhile to carry a lovely bunch of coconuts everywhere with you?)

And finally: is it widely accepted? (Look at all the fiction where some foreign tribe/culture doesn’t value gold because to THEM, it is common, for example!)

Ok guys I’m back from my interlude, I can tell you I was busy, but that would be a lie, so I’ll come out and say that it was pure laziness. After my AP exams are through I’ll work on this some more, but for a month I have some scenes written and worked on the stat system.

Since I love Fallout so much I was thinking of using a similar but different main stat system.

B.A.L.A.N.C.E. instead of S.P.E.C.I.A.L.

Brawn
Awareness
Luck
Acuity (mental)
Nimbleness
Charisma
Endurance

What do you guys think? Criticism of any kind is welcome, just try not to be too hostile ;p

Also need some ideas for currency.

@Incompatibility WELCOME BACK! Bullets for currency? and it’s nice to see you back thanks for being honest idk if I should be mad or happy.

@2Ton Thanks for the welcoming! I was thinking bullets too, but Metro 2033 does the same thing, but then again it isn’t too radical to think of using bullets as currency in the first place. A friend of mine said collectible cards, like baseball.

Can a mod delete my first double post? I was having website lag issues and my impatience got the better of me. ;p

!!!

I absolutely adore the Fallout setting, and I think that done right (write? Ha!) this can be a wonderful homage. As previously said, there is more to Fallout than ‘post-apocalyptic world’, but I think you can run with it.

Paperclips, bullets, seeds…

It depends on how you develop the world. For example, paperclips might work if you are playing it as ‘something difficult to manufacture in our current time, but lightweight. Also, a bit of irony for the player with how relatively worthless they are now.’

Both bullets and seeds provide an example of more ‘practical mundane’ items, where those items are precious at least in part because they are useful and portable.

Baseball cards are worthless, especially in the future. I think bullets at least have a use and would make for a more reasonable currency.

Does the post apocalyptic world even need a currency though? Surely people would be trading for what they need, using what they have. So anything, food, water purifiers, working batteries, seeds, could be used as currency. Even books. Of course a lot of that is heavy.

And I suppose having a currency unit can allow for people to compare values of things. Me, I’d be thinking in days of food, or meals of food though. How many days of supplies can trading this purchase me? Because I’d think acquiring food and actually surviving would be number one priority.

@FairyGodfeather
Didn’t they used to have some sort of scale to compare an item’s weight with gold? Or am I crazy? Bartering would be a good idea, but what about situations where civilization is being rebuilt, and we have places like bars, where bartering would be awkward for gettin a few drinks? Then again currency would be hard to enforce unless there was some sort of pseudo government behind it, like the NCR in F:NV, but caps seemed to always take precedence.

@Incompatibility

Marijuana Seeds as currency? everyone needs to relax in an apocalypse. XD
I’ve never played Metro or knew the currency was bullets but it has to be something everyone needs, and bullets besides medicine comes to mind, perhaps coffee? or caffein pills? 5 hour energies? XD fuel? Shoes even? People go ape shit for footwear.

Edit: Also, there could be different sections or people who believe in different kinda of barter systems, like barting at a Bar could be done since liquids will be alot more valuable im guessing, but you could have like some people take bullets while others wanna trade or both?

@2Ton
I like the way you think… Lol, but if currency were to be used, it would have to double as a practical item, as @chibz said, so bullets, medicine, etc.
Maybe in less civilized areas bartering is the way to go, and in towns bullets, fuel, medicine, are the accepted currencies.

I’m not really a shoe person myself, I only have one pair excluding my slippers, lol.

Edit:
@chibz I think since the government has collapsed, gold would be the way to go, since it never loses its value, but rarity would be an issue…