Which genre do you feel is underrepresented?

The idea that children are their parent’s stories who then, in turn, grow up to tell stories of their own, is a wonderful idea. :two_hearts:

2 Likes

Oh! I haven’t thought of it that way! :thinking: It is a wonderful thought, and that would make for a nice quote. :heart:

1 Like

Like the game Slammed, which is about professional wrestling, but really acts as a guise for the emotional roller coaster the MC endures throughout their career.

1 Like

I’d love to see more games that embrace the absolute wackiness of a setting or premise, kind of like The Phantom Tollbooth. A game that acknowledges how weird and absurd its foundation is and pokes fun at it (maybe with fourth-wall breaking) would be nice.

2 Likes

I would love some more pirate games there is 2 or 3 (I think) and I liked them but I am still waiting for something that goes
wow!!
Gr8 topic btw

Murder mysteries certainly. Specifically lawyers. I constantly thirst for games like Ace Attorney so I wonder if it can be done in text.

6 Likes

The more thought provoking philisophical kind of story.

I think that I am apt to run short of things like government simulation games.
Also, even if the form of “interactive fiction” is not suitable for making a game of “government simulation”, it is obvious that there are very few politically themed games in the current “choice of games” game is.

1 Like

If I felt there was an audience for a legal story, I’d be all over it.

9 Likes

How many signatures do we have to get on the petition? :D

5 Likes

Cyberpunk.
If anyone ever makes a series to read and play that is similar in setting to say Shadowrun. I would buy it multiple times on multiple accounts. I would make new accounts to keep buying it.

Granted Shadowrun is Cyberpunk Fantasy smashed together. But that’s why it’s freaking amazing. Nothing like having one dude wander around what is essentially the Matrix to hax some junk while their friend is defending their body in the real world from gunfire with a Magical Shield.

3 Likes

I think there is the potential for great some great choice games involving legal stories. (You could have some really different options depending on the topic and whether they’re written from the POV of the defense, prosecution, judge or defendant.)

1 Like

Some others have already said what I was thinking, but I’ll echo:

1. Horror/mystery. I’d love to see more horror that’s not fantasy-monster-centered (vampires, zombies, werewolves) and is more like, you move into your house one day and you start receiving miniature figures of you and those around you in the mail… Or something like that. The problem is (I believe), horror is exceptionally hard to pull off because in order to feel really scared, a sense of control and agency usually has to be taken away from you—hard to do in a choose your own adventure novel. Obviously a balance can be achieved, but I think it would be hard. And readers would have to accept that a lot of decisions or paths could end in bad endings/death. (Otherwise the situation wouldn’t feel as risky or scary or tense.)

2. Detective noir/hardboiled detective. I love fiction from that era (flawed as it can be) and would love to see an LA Noir type game in which the MC solves different cases each chapter and is promoted to different departments (arson, vice, homicide).

3. Realistic historical fiction. A lot of historical fiction in COG often has a twist or fantasy element to it, but the ones that don’t (the one set in Hollywood stands out, though the name eludes me) are lovely. I’d love to see some HARDCORE historical fiction, like the Crusades or the Salem witch trials or WWII-anywhere or Cleopatra-era Egypt or something. Of course some liberties would have to be taken in order for things like gender to be treated equally, but I crave more stories set in those times as well. I recently played Ken Follett’s “The Pillars of the Earth” on Steam and was surprised by how much my choices seemed to matter, despite being based on an existing book. It was wonderful at evoking the atmosphere of the time!

5 Likes

…umh…I don’t know if it’s a genre, but I can’t remember any investigative archeological story.
A la tomb rider/uncharted/indiana jones, to give an example.

Do you mean crazy temple exploration with traps and cowboy hat?

Something like that, yeah. it may be that I’ve restarted playng Uncharted lately :laughing: but I feel an adventure like that would be cool in a choice of game.

:thinking: It can be tricky to put all those puzzle and trap mechanics into words, but when done right, I believe it’ll just as fun as those games and movies!

I guess we’ll have to wait and see who can come up with such an interesting element…

2 Likes

Well, I guess it can be played like a RPG style game?
A trap open under your feet? Hight reflex will have you jump back before falling, or jump and grab the edge of the floor. Knowledge would have you read an ancient advertisement on the floor itself, or observing the floor you may have seen the cracks o the trap.

Maybe making the investigative parts may be tricky: find artifacts, reveal the key, all with keeping an eye on a certaing ancient culture. Not that adventures about action archeologists are ever in any way historically accurate anyway :laughing:

Not an easy thing, surely, but I feel it could be doable, and very interesting in my opinion :smiley: I would love play/read something like that!

3 Likes

Historical fiction, especially scrupulously accurate fiction as opposed to broad strokes pastiche. Not that I don’t understand why. There is a lot of research to be done not only for the detail necessary but also a good head on their shoulders to speculate on how history changes.

I would love to have a wide variety of locales represented. Imperial China, the Courts of Siam, the Maharajas, the Islands of the Majapahit, the dying days of the Roman Republic or the struggle of Carthage as the Legions close in.

7 Likes

I’m actually looking to implement the maritime kingdom of Majapahit into my Worlbuilding. There’s nothing like the ambitious Patih Gajahmada with his lifetime vow to unite the world under the banner.

Granted, my story won’t be something along the line of Historical-Fiction, though. But I do love fantasy diversity, especially when based on real world culture and history.

And, yeah, still in worldbuilding phase :sweat_smile:
It’ll take a while before they play an important role in the story, and I need to open my old elementary books :eyeglasses:

3 Likes