Where Do You Write?

I write on my laptop. As for where… well, wherever I can get privacy. Which is a precious commodity for me nowadays. So generally I just wander into a library somewhere and hope to find a space where I can sit down and get something done. I have two specific libraries I visit frequently because they have the most private spaces for me to sit in and write.

2 Likes

My laptop on CSIDE, I have it set in colors that don’t bother me too much.

1 Like

I write on whatever and wherever I can. I have my WIP on a flash drive so I can run it between both my desktop and my laptop, depending on which one happens to be available. At my desktop I just write at home in my room, since that’s where the desktop is, but with my laptop, I write wherever; at home, at school, at friend’s houses, etc.

2 Likes

I write at the breakfast bar in our apartment between 6am and 7 every weekday. Except when a deadline approaches, and then I write wherever I happen to be if I’m holding a laptop and have a spare moment.

I edit in vim, an old-school but powerful text editor that only mildly threatens to change everything if you happen to be in the wrong mode. That’s just what I use for every language where I’m not forced to use an IDE, from Java to Python to Perl; I like how fast it is to search for text and jump to line numbers, hotkey-wise. I outline and keep consistency notes in the default Mac word processor, Notes. I sometimes grep (search across files) to see whether variables are pulling their weight and where they can change.

4 Likes

did someone come up with syntax highlighting for choice script in vim?

2 Likes

In my head, mostly. Progress has been a bit slow lately :confused:

But really, in all seriousness, I write a scene (or letter or essay section etc.) in my head many times before deciding on one version and physically writing it down on scrap pieces of paper that may or may not disappear when they’re needed. It’s not very good for continuity but does save a lot of time.

1 Like

I usually write in an isolated cubicle in one of my university’s libraries. I find that I churn out better writing when I work in isolation away from people. I use CSIDE in my laptop and I usually work best in the evenings.

I usually work in my home office on a desktop, or on a laptop in bed if my wife’s using the desktop. Very occasionally I go to a coffee shop; a friend and I also have a weekly writing session in her living room. When my son isn’t at nursery, I sometimes sneak laptop-time for testing or bugfixing (which I did today, with him sitting on the sofa next to me), though I don’t do that with writing or major editing due to potentially needing to stop in the middle!

I use sublime text with ChoiceScript highlighters and find it covers all my needs nicely.

I switch between using my phone and a notebook. Sometimes computer. (Heh, even have a writing app on my kindle.) Usually in the living room. Unfortunately my ideas are almost always very fragmented, and I pretty much never manage to flesh them out. On the plus side I have a bunch of two-three sentence starts written down…