Where Do You Write?

Hello everyone! :smile: I’m Hilsee, and some of you may know me from my WIP Land of the Dragon or my)(few) reviews lol (long time lurker here). This is my first non-WIP topic, not sure if there’s a thread like this around here, if there is please close this mods!

What it says on the tin: where do you write? I usually write on my iPad’s Notes app, because my eyes hurt when I stare at the laptop for too long (I don’t know why this is either… Maybe sth to do w brightness levels?) As for more literally, I usually only feel safe and comfortable enough to write when I’m relaxing on the sofa at home.

So I’m wondering, what are everyone’s writing habits? I find Notes easy to write in, but there’s the problem of italics etc not being copied over to any other app I paste my content in. And the undo button on the iPad doesn’t always work…

2 Likes

I almost always write on my laptop at the dining table. Though when I’m working at the theater, tearing tickets, I always have a pencil and piece of paper with me so I can brainstorm. :smirk: :smirk:

3 Likes

I write in bed with a huge mug of coffee right next to me. other than that it’s the same as Samuel’s ,I just write at the kitchen table.:coffee:

3 Likes

I can’t continue the story when im outside (on a bus, in a cafe, etc.) but i find outlining and world developing easier because i have a lot to observe and transpose, and i only write with a pen and a paper in that occasion. As for the story, i need to be in my room, relaxed, focused, sitting upright, and i need to write on my laptop, i won’t write otherwise, if i don’t have to. (I find it a lot faster when writing on a pc)

3 Likes

It seriously helps to have a not pad with you at all times.

2 Likes

I write on long commutes, since they’re a big part of my day, and there’s generally not much else to do other than sit and fiddle with something.

Otherwise, on a couch with a laptop and/or phone. And most worldbuilding and outlining I do on paper since it’s easier to sketch things there rather than use a paint program.

1 Like

I write everything in Google Docs, or directly in CSIDE. I also keep a notepad in my jacket pocket for ideas on the go, or write things in the Note section of my iPhone.

As for where I am physically, I write a lot in the early morning before the girls wake up, so I am usually in my recliner in the living room (one of my favorite spots in the known universe). I also write some when sitting up in the bed.

1 Like

Well I’m not an author so…but I’m a university student, and I write for that :stuck_out_tongue: . I always write on my laptop, and on my sofa wrapped up in a blanket :stuck_out_tongue: . Though I did recently try working at my regular café. I found it a good place to work for the same reasons it’s my regular in general, quiet both in terms of noise and the number of other people there, friendly staff and room for my small laptop on the table. It was also nice to have access to nice food and milkshakes whilst I worked :stuck_out_tongue: .

Though I don’t like connecting to businesses/hotel etc wifi, I know they have wifi there but it can be a pain connecting, can be slow etc, but I might make working their a regular thing and use my phone as a hotspot. I don’t like working at uni, too busy and noisy, and too…official? Serious? Formal? If you get me? Same reason I don’t like working at my desk, I just sit my teddies on my chair at my desk :stuck_out_tongue: .

1 Like

I usually use my laptop, but I have tried using am iPad and even writing on paper.

1 Like

It’s raining outside, It’s 8:00 PM (night), and I’m wearing my trunks while typing out stuff at Notepad++ while listening to good 'ol music.

2 Likes

I write on my laptop in bed, usually while being used as a pillow by my cat.

Since that’s a setup with way too many distractions (tons of internet tabs open, all my games right there, and cat), I do the actual work in CSIDE on my desktop in my workroom, which is only a problem when my cat is awake, as he will demand all my attension.

I also have lined notepads scattered all over the house, to write notes and ideas, which I usually do while watching series with my boyfriend.

1 Like

Always and only on my laptop. I just can’t get used to typing without a keyboard. Even on my phone, I take forever to write a text. :yum:

2 Likes

I write ideas anywhere and everywhere when I get the time and the inspiration. I have filled up so many notebooks with ideas. As for actual story writing, I tend to write on my couch/bed on my laptop. Usually this happens on the weekend when I’m doing laundry.

1 Like

For designing the actual gameplay, I always begin with pen and paper because there’s something very natural about it for me. Flowcharts and a few lines in every node is what my first draft or two look like.

For the story-writing, I find that Microsoft Word is my go-to but I suppose any word processor with adequate functionalities should be fine

For coding, I usually do some pseudo stuffs in Notepad++ before actually implementing everything in the IDE. This way logical errors( which are much more difficult to fix than things such as wrong syntax) can be easily identified and corrected

I have a full-time job so I usually write during the weekends at my work desk I have setup at home. I think a professional approach is the most beneficial for me perosnally

2 Likes

By the way, while still on the topic, I use some of these tools to help conceptualize my story. Thought I might share it with you, guys.

Simple freeform-flowchart: draw.io
Inspirations for onomatopoeia: http://www.writtensound.com/index.php
Dad jokes: http://niceonedad.com/ (not really a writing tool, tbh)
Graphing calculator: https://www.desmos.com/calculator (to nitpick on your stats balancing)

2 Likes

I used Notepad++ for Rebels 1, and am using CSIDE at the moment for Rebels 2. As for where: a whole lot of coffeehouses and restaurants around the world, plus the kitchen tables of everywhere I’ve lived for the last 7 years. I wrote my dead-tree books in cafes in 2006, which started a habit I’ve never quite kicked. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Here’s my office. I do 90% of my work here.

5 Likes

Nice dual-monitor setup! I am slowly crafting that in my office, as it will let me code easier and it will work with my laptop when I work from home on my actual job.

2 Likes

Just a hopefully helpful FYI, I recommend avoiding any hosting brands on this Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endurance_International_Group

There are some suggestions for alternatives in the side bar of https://www.reddit.com/r/webhosting/ and potentially many more in the actual posts themselves.

1 Like

Yeah having two or more screens is a game changer for many things :slight_smile:

Though I did find it a case of “didn’t know what I was missing or why I’d do that until I did”.

1 Like