Where is your writing space?

Basically, where is the place where you get the most done? Be it writing, thinking, actual work, or whatever!

5 Likes

desk piled high with junk :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

While I haven’t written anything creative for a while, it used to be while riding the bus or carpooling to work.

2 Likes

My library at home for working, with a honorable mention to the car for good ideas.

2 Likes

It used to be the library before the whole current situation, but now honestly its my car. Just find somewhere quiet I can park and get to writing.

2 Likes

Used to go to my local cafe, order a mexican breakfast (pita, baked beans, avocado, scrambled eggs), and spend all morning writing.

Now everything is at my desk.

It’s a bit odd to suddenly make that change. Now everything is at the one desk: work, games, movies, writing, everything. Instead of changing physical space, I have to change mental space. It’s more difficult.

5 Likes

Similar to @will - used to go to a cute indie cafe near my apartment, order a mocha, and then write there. Now with lockdown still in place, I just stay at my desk at home. I’ve learned that I actually need background noise while I write (shouout to mynoise)

I miss my fancy coffees tho. :coffee:

5 Likes

bed

6 Likes

A table and chair under an apartment block miles from home.

2 Likes

My usual writing space is unavailable, so I have a metal stool as a stand-in. I painted with white fantasy runes along the legs and a raven (who looks like he’s pouting) on the seat itself. It’s at the perfect height where my laptop screen is basically eye level with me.

To get ideas, I’m usually doing chores around the house. Mowing the lawn, laundry, dishes, recycling, gardening, etc.

3 Likes

writing ? at my desk on my computer . Thinking? 2 places, on the john…and in bed just before sleeping .

It’s weird, but if you are lying down or doing something is when ideas pop up like weeds . Stare at a screen (or blank page) and your brain get a complex and nothing come to you :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Normally couch, but it’s scorchingly hot inside my house rn so I’m trying to write on the back porch.

2 Likes

Study.

2 Likes

I do my writing at a desk in my bedroom; it’s pretty small but mostly clear of anything but my laptop, phone, a stim toy, and something to drink most of the time. I get ideas all over the place, including while writing, in the shower, while trying to sleep, while doing house chores… basically anytime my attention is free to wander. I’ve always had the tendency to block and run scenes in my head, and uh… more than occasionally try dialogue out loud. I figured I was pretty sneaky about this but it turns out my roommate has known pretty much since we moved in together 6 years ago. Fortunately it doesn’t bother her, heh.

5 Likes

Until the pandemic it was a bar near my university. Now with my study occupied because someone else has to smart working, I don’t have a permanent place

2 Likes

Wherever my laptop is, and nobody is bothering me… mostly this is at my desk at home or in uni… but, before corona-times this also included the reception area of the gym, starbucks and other cafeterias, trains, planes, etc… I like to vary the place where I write, so for example I might to 1-1.5 hrs at home, then go to the gym, think about the next scene, then write in the reception, then go to uni (and maybe do some of my own research), then go to a starbucks, etc…

Sadly, I often have too much to do for uni to follow one of these “ideal writing days”…

6 Likes

Mostly in my recliner in the living room. Occasionally in the bed. I had expectations that when I started writing seriously I’d be sitting at a desk, but it just never really happened that way.

5 Likes

I’m with @Alice-chan on this: a desk piled high with junk.

Years ago, when I was in college, there was a Pizza Hut buffet in my town, and I’d go there to get some work done. Quiet place, and the pizza and Coke flowed freely - perfect environment for studying and turning out papers. But it’s been closed for years. :frowning:

2 Likes

get her to block scenes with you :nerd_face:

1 Like

Usually hiding somewhere in my room. The only place I can go where it’s quiet and relatively interruption free.

3 Likes