Writers BLOCK! - What do I do?

Damn, I knew that this would happen. lol, I’ve been staring at my screen for the last forty minutes and… Nothing I’ve got about three lines written down, but can’t seem to go anywhere. Everything I write sounds horrible… Omgn!

What do you guys do when you get writes block? Usually I just leave everything for a few days, but I would be interested to know if any of you have a “quick fix” that you use.

Blade

First, take that block off your desk, you can’t write on it as long as it’s there.

In all seriousness, though got three suggestions for ya-

1. Flow of thought writing. Just as practice mind you, but it does at the very least get you started

2. While your story has to have a beginning, middle and end, no ever said you had to do that while actually writing it. Skip around to a scene your more interested in.

And the most important

1. Even if it IS horrible, write it anyway. The key is to keep going and not to stop and eventually you’ll be able to return and readjust.
1 Like

What Crayshen said plus…

Personally, I start working on something else (although that is probably really bad advice, considering I don’t ever seem to get much done, but I swear that’s more procrastination than bad decisions… wait, never mind.)

Seriously though, when I hit solid writers block, and I can’t force my way through it by just slogging down whatever comes out and fixing it up later, I skip over to a different setting and start writing for that. Get tired of trying to figure out the social role of gender for aliens with Protandry Dichogamy? Start drawing maps for a medieval city. Sure it doesn’t actually fix your writers block, but it does allow you to stay productive while dodging it.

I usually can always just sit down and write but I sometimes am not excited about writing. So this is what is do to get excited about writing.

If have a really good book that is in the same theme or time period I will go away for a few hours and read some of the book. That usually gets me excited and I can write again.

I don’t write much, but I can say that it sort of helps to stay away from the thing completely. After a while, you get an incredible idea and run towards the nearest electronic device. Works for me… I just don’t have the motivation to continue when I get the idea going though…

To quote from an artist.
“I think I finally waded past my art block, which basically entails slamming into the block repeatedly until you make a big hole in it.”

I honestly prefer taking a break before coming back to writing, but sometimes it takes just writing to get through the block instead of over it. :slight_smile:

For me I listen to music, I just relax and take it in. It really helps get my thoughts flowing. Give it a try. :slight_smile:

Just write another part of the story, work on the characters, refine the stats, that sort of thing It will help.

Moi? When I have writers block… Well, I don’t recall the last time I had writers block… Generally, I do have an idea, but I’m way too lazy to write it out.
But I suggest that when you DO have writers block, just take a break! :smiley: If you’ve been writing to the point that you have no ideas left, then you’ve been writing too much :stuck_out_tongue:
And also, I have the tendency that, when I do get an awesome idea, I write it down in a GIANT ideas book! :smiley:
Whenever you think of something that has the potential to become absolutely fabulous, just write it down for when you have a lack of ideas :]

Anyway, I hope you overcome the block, (I personally find that playing piano and listening to my physics recordings help, but that’s just me being a weirdo) and you will make an awesome story!! :smiley: I shall be looking forwards to reading it!!! ^^

Just get out a piece of paper and write anything on it. Use actual words, put not sentences. For example: umbrella laptop person tv bookcase. Get your hands working. Get your ideas moving. Put pen to paper and finger to key. :slight_smile: I think this is what Jethro’s artist meant. Make a hole in the block with random words

i got a really good idea… Go to Vegas and have a one night stand. :slight_smile: