What time line setting do you prefer?

Can I say all of them? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I donā€™t think anyone will object your answer.

I will. @TSSL, your lack of decision-making capabilities is a demonstration of weakness! :wink:

The weak perish, then perish you shall @TSSL

Deciding I want all of them is still a decision :pensive:

2 Likes

Iā€™ve always liked games with medieval concepts all throughout. I know I might sound weird but Iā€™ve always wanted to live the life of (at least) a commoner during the medieval times lol

1 Like

Heck yeah!

Iā€™m generally fond of any setting where technology has taken a different path to ours and then people still try to use it in the manner we use technology, but I donā€™t generally like it if itā€™s too directly parallel. I want it to have different strengths and weaknesses and have society adapt to it.

So my favorite Steampunk game until recently was Rise Of Legends, where the draw was that each of the three factions was basically in its home setting but the main character ended up leading a grand quest through each where he brought along some heroes and some gear but not an army. Then when he was in Arabian Nights he went and talked to his old girlfriend and she said sheā€™ll see what she can do but everyone is busy because the ancient evil dark glass genie is loose again and has corrupted the great Sand and Fire geines so the Sultan isnā€™t going to authorize much, so sheā€™ll bring her trusty battle scorpion and a couple platoons because thatā€™s everyone she can convince to go AWOL and weā€™re going to have to pick up more allies and then she is riding her trusty battle scorpion and she is flanked by a couple of Clockwork Men that havenā€™t succumbed to the desert sand eroding their gears.

Then a month ago I got Frostpunk, and thatā€™s pretty straightforward and has none of my mad crossover addiction, but what it does have is that Earthā€™s tempature has suddenly and inexplicably nosedived and itā€™s going to get worse and then hopefully it will get better. And then the entire main story is a single continuous mission about how you have a giant steam-powered generator you can use to pump superheated steam places as long as you keep it maintained and you donā€™t run out of coal. And, okay, no problem, itā€™s -40C but itā€™s not going to get that much colder, right?

Nature: Yeah itā€™ll be -150C for two days but then itā€™ll rise to -30C so if you can just hold out through that itā€™ll be fine
Player: Um, how cold is -150C?
Nature: Well, when itā€™s a bit warmer than -80C atmospheric CO2 starts freezing. But seriously thatā€™s a pretty big generator and your hypothermia wards are pretty well insulated so itā€™s only going to be -20C indoors if you route the steam there and redline the generator and youā€™ll be able to redline it for thirty-six hours before you have to turn it down or itā€™ll explode.
You: Oh god why did I ask I didnā€™t actually want to know.

And then you get to pick exactly which of your core ethical principles youā€™ll compromise so that this story ends with a bittersweet victory instead of you run out of coal six hours before the storm breaks and the generator shuts down and you might have a warm glow of satifaction that you didnā€™t authorize child labor and you didnā€™t force people to work in emergency shifts and you didnā€™t throw people in prison for daring to question you and you didnā€™t build rings for Victorian Era Fight Club and you didnā€™t amputate limbs for infections that could be curable just to free up a hospital bed for someone else, but thatā€™s not going to keep you warm enough to live through six hours when the warmest place is the hypothermia ward where itā€™s just -110C. You can hold to most of those and survive and the ending cutscene will praise you for it, but if you donā€™t at least compromise on some of them at least a little you run out of coal three days into the dreaded final storm and that is that.