Time Periods n Stuff

What kind of time periods do you prefer your fiction to be set in? When it comes to the modern era, where we’ve seen rapid development in almost every decade, is there a certain one that you gravitate towards when it comes to art from or set in that period?

1 Like

Well you know what they say familiarity breeds dislike(or something like that :stuck_out_tongue: ) so my favourite time periods are ones I’ve haven’t seen much of. In COG there isn’t too many modern games, at least not compared to fantasy…or at the very least that I haven’t played to death :stuck_out_tongue: . But in general I prefer modern day, as in the present, I think it’s easier to relate to characters set in this time.

3 Likes

I myself somehow like medieval

1 Like

Normaly Medieval, however a Steampunk 1800s setting could be very interesting

I actually love time periods that aren’t explored very in depth. I know the works in progress disappeared, but like ones set in ancient Rome (and yes, I realize there is a large span) was great.

I did like Choice of Alexandria, though I wish it was bigger.

I actually have plans for a ‘prehistory’ game…something set in the Stone Age. The creatures there could be exotic enough that in a way it would seem like mythological creatures. I even have paths/ideas in mind to be a shaman’s apprentice, an artisan, or hunter.

6 Likes

My wishlist in terms of place/time combinations is very long.

Firstly, I would like “medieval Europe” to disappear. The Middle Ages lasted a thousand years, give or take, and Europe is a gd continent. Its land area, according to the almighty wiki, is slightly more than ten million square kilometers. If your medieval-inspired setting can’t at the very least name a century and a region, it’s not inspired by the middle ages but by other books. Which is poor form, in my opinion. Of course, my opinion is informed by reading mostly fantasy. Obviously none of this applies to historical fiction, which is always set in a specific time and place.

In terms of pure historicity? More Byzantine stuff would be great. The golden age of the Ottoman empire. Pre-Ptolemaic Egypt. Anything central Asian or Silk Road related. That’s just scratching the surface, to be honest.

5 Likes

Pretty much anything that isn’t prehistoric/cavemen I’m down for. For the most part time period isn’t something I’m to concerned about, whether there are fantastical elements (which I 100% prefer in any and every setting) is much more important to me

I would like to second this pet peeve, with a caveat.

If you’re writing “western medieval high fantasy”, there’s nothing wrong with mixing and matching cultures, or even time periods if you know what you’re doing, but that last part is key: if you know what you’re doing. When I was writing The Hero of Kendrickstone, my specific inspirations were late 13th century England (material culture, social hierarchy) and the late 14th century Holy Roman Empire, immediately after the Golden Bull of 1356 (political structure etc). I try to make this apparent in my work (Kendrickstone makes a point of underlining the transition from maille to plate armour as a process just beginning, as an example), both to show that I’ve done at least a modicum of research, and because doing so demonstrates how everything fits together and helps create a more fleshed-out, grounded setting.

Of course, my own specialty is early to mid-late modern Europe (1453 to 1914 thereabouts), and I do rather like stories set in worlds evocative of that period of time (NB: having painfully anachronistic late 15th century plate armour in your otherwise high-medieval setting does not count). Aside from that, my particular interests are all over the place, though my recent work has sent me towards that perennially favoured subject of both military historians and Dunning-Kruger-stricken internet “experts” alike: the Second World War.

6 Likes

Time Travel so I can go everywhere. :sunglasses:

But I can definitely enjoy both common time periods like Victorian London, the Wild West and World War 2, or some less visited historical epochs and possible futures. I’m a history graduate and Whovian so all of time and space is awesome.

2 Likes

I haven’t noticed it being too bad in western high fantasy? I mean, sure they tend to fall into the generic fantasy setting, but I think they generally seem fairly consistent?
Then again, I have read very little high fantasy written after 2000…

What is not consistent though, is manga and anime high fantasy.
Why, why are the characters who live in a clearly medieval society wearing modern clothing?!
Yes, I know they have a romantic, frilly, old-fashoned design, but they are not designs that people in medieval times could or would wear! Grrrr…

Yeah, eastern high fantasy definitely suffers from being inspired by earlier works in the genre and not actual societies and time periods.

Of course they could! Especially the skin-tight suit woven from magical material “The black fibro-propylene meta-physical quantum” thread for those giant mech pilots!

any time period , as long as it’s well written and there is no Gating for realism nonsense .

Realism can be very immersive but loses that immediately when it’s used “just because”. Then its just frivolous.

But yeah, any time period can work pretty well depending on the genre that can either enhance it or make it more unique. Im only speaking very broadly here though.

Yeahhh, sigh Time*Travel would be both AWESOME & terrible… :smiley:

As of right now, I am working on a story where it kind of jumps around time periods… More specifically, futuristic and the 17th century - Future VS. the past…

Hopefully it’ll be interesting!

A Demo for it should be coming shortly!! :slight_smile: :smiley:

Ancient Greece and Rome, the Renaissance and the early 20th century are periods I’m quite familiar with and fond of. I also enjoy works set in or inspired by cultures outside of Europe, as they always seem original to me and I can learn a lot about them (the curriculum here kind of sucks in that regard).

My favorite time period is the time of muskets and gunpowder and canons. It’s part of the reason i loved Paul Wang’s games. A close second would have to be like medieval times with knights and kings and things like that. Swamp castle got me hooked on that time period.

1 Like

Oh, I draw inspiration from all sorts of different time periods and my stories are usually a mish-mash of anachronisms and purely made-up stuff. I’m not claiming that fantasy settings should hew to pure-bred historical settings, that’s not at all what I was getting at. What I object to is the genre label of “medieval European fantasy” that flattens an enormously complex time period into what is basically Arthurian myth fanfic. That’s what I mean by “inspired by other books”.

I mean, if you’re (general “you”, not you specifically) inspired purely by 12th century Normandy or thereabouts, that’s one thing. But some writers just shove horses and swords and corsets into something and pronounce it medieval. What I love is either research or originality or both. sigh I guess I’m just frustrated? Which means this is probably the wrong thread for this conversation.

2 Likes

I don’t blame you. If a writer glibly threw in a few aspects of material culture that existed vaguely in the same millennium and called it a day, I wouldn’t be particularly confident in the effort they put into keeping the rest of their writing consistent or well-considered.

Bonus points if this is the same sort of person who does this and then goes “well, this is a historical setting so everyone is straight, and black people don’t exist, and women spontaneously melt if they even so much as touch a sword, don’t blame me, I’m just being historically accurate”. At which point the author is committing the fantasy writer equivalent of “criminal negligence”.

8 Likes

I think the most important thing is being a conscious writer. Or in other words, “know what you’re doing.”

Eh, maybe.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

A while ago, I actually had one of the worst ideas I’ve ever come up with. It’s a political thriller set in the era of dinosaurs. I called it “64 Million DC”.

2 Likes