What is everyone's schedule like and how do you squeeze in writing time?

I thought this might give us some insight on each other when we start wondering, “When in the world is he/she going to post an update??”

I get up at 6:30 M-F and I get home from my job at 5:30.

From 5:30 to 9, it is all about making dinner, help kiddos with homework, do baths and read bedtime stories.

I try to write at least an hour in the 9 to 11 window, but sometimes I get hooked into an awesome show like “Arrow.” Then time for sleep and repeat. My only 2-4 hour writing chunks happen on weekends.

Anyone else want to share?

1 Like

Your schedule is similar to mine actually. I am home from work at 4pm, spend time with my wife (we’re newlyweds) until 6. Then I write or read until 8 or 9. On the weekends, I carve out 3-5 hours to write.

Games are my biggest drain on productivity. I downloaded Hearthstone and feel like I have lost an hour a day to it.

I work 8:30 till 4:45 m-f. I get home about 5:15 then spend time with my son till 7pm then try and write between 7-9 but that time is eaten into by reading and games too.

I usually write from 11AM - 8PM, 7 days a week.

@Samuel_H_Young

That is impressive.

@Nocturnal_Stillness
I figure if I do it now, I’ll be able to do it later :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m unemployed, so I pretty much have the same schedule as @Samuel_H_Young, maybe with the writing extending as late as midnight, depending on how my creative juices flow. Only exception is that I’m currently living in a GMT+2 timezone, so I do most of my writing while North America is asleep.

@Samuel_H_Young

trust me when you have a kid a lot of that free time will vanish lol

@Goshman
Nice! I now consider writing my career :slight_smile:

@Nocturnal_Stillness
Yeah :stuck_out_tongue: I’m trying to prepare for that

I finished Uni and have moved across the country for the moment. I’m saving for a house to return back across the country again next year hopefully.

I work ten hour shifts, so I don’t really get much time to write thesedays. Between the shifts, a small spot of gaming and generally working even more, I’ve pretty much put every writing project on hold.

Might change when I move again though. :slight_smile:

@Samual_H_Young

I’ve ordered a small portable laptop to help improve my writing time. The theory is with that I can at least sit on the sofa with it and my son can sit beside me if he wants so will be less likely to want to bother me lol

@Nocturnal_Stillness
Good :slight_smile:

Unemployment here too. I write about an hour in the morning because I usually get up late and when I get up earlier I don’t want to write because I sit in front of my laptop too much as it is. After the lunch, I write another hour. Then it’s off to working in the vineyards the whole afternoon (I don’t count that as a job as I am not getting payed since it is a family business). Around six, I am home and write to eight. After the dinner, I am writing from nine to eleven.

When I say “writing”, mostly I mean blankly staring into a blank screen due to the writer’s block.

I just started working 8:30am-5pm Mon-Fri. But how that really works out is that I get up at 6am and get home around 5:50-6:15pm, depending on traffic. So the first 12 hours of my day are all work related. That leaves 4 hours for everything but work and sleep, and very often that four hours disappears on things other than writing.

I do have weekends though, but every second Sunday I spend the day on two of my other hobbies; miniature wargaming and Magic: the Gathering.

I think once I get more used to full-time work, it will be easier to write more often, but I’m having a bit of trouble fitting everything in right now.

My schedule is something like Mon, Wed, Thurs 2 pm to 10 pm, Fri 10 am to 10 pm and Sat, Sun 10 am to 7 pm. Not much time to work on this at home so I do most of my writing during work hours, sneaking in a few hundred words every hour or so. Helps that I have some free time and writing this makes me look busy :slight_smile:

@Grapefruit
So you’re the only one who gets payed while writing :wink:

I’m similar to most of you. I work until 5, then write for about an hour each night (apart from Mon and Weds when I go to Korean classes in the evenings). At weekends I usually go to a coffee shop and spend a few hours writing. This is always my most productive time.

I’m a freelancer and don’t really have regular work hours, so I can decide to get in some writing pretty much anytime unless I have a lot of work (unfortunately not often the case). I tend to get writer’s block a lot, though, so mostly I use free time to work on other personal projects or play League of Legends. :stuck_out_tongue:

I am a truck driver, I team with my son. We drive coast to coast. So I do the night shift 12 hours 7 days a week on average. Not much free time to write as I work 3 to 4 weeks at a time before going home for two days. I write when I get the chance.

My props to all you writers and the amazing stories you give us to love (and maybe hate) :slight_smile: