What genre of game do you feel is most in need of more representation?

Damn, it suddenly hit me. Is that real that we not have a game about cooking?

3 Likes

There was a WIP about superheroes and cooking once, I wonder what’s happened to them

2 Likes

Personally I think there aren’t enough proper horror experiences hosted here, but mainly that can be seen as an issue of the gameplay style not suiting the format well. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

There was a time when that might have been my dream work-for-hire gig… writing a C.Y.O.A. M.:t.A. story… for either game line with that abbreviation of their name.

I’m stating here that I am going to finish my current work first, but I may dabble in this from time to time. Thought I’d post it here because horror was a very popular suggestion. https://forum.choiceofgames.com/t/adult-interest-check-thread/57535/154?u=viisbae

2 Likes

Just tried Raiders of the Caravan and it makes me realise how much I really enjoy Slice of Life games in any genre where the stakes are not world ending and the various relationships (platonic and romantic) can be more easily focused on.

Makes me wonder how I might approach a Sci-Fi Slice of Life game where the reader is trying to live on a relatively untapped and natural world, maybe with the option of picking what sort of semi-viable biome it is (desert like Tattooine, snowy like Hoth, jungley or swampy like Dagobah etc) and with various human, alien and robot characters to hang out with. No evil empire or cyborg infestation to worry about, just day to day living and native issues and maybe some local criminal activity. Like Stardew Valley in space. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

7 Likes

The original version of last shot has been abandoned, but we’re working on an improved version using the original code

IDK what genre Yu would call it but me personally I’m tired of all these stories where we’re saving the world or are some hero would like stories from the other side cause even monsters and can be heroes to ppl…something where were a serial killer or a monster awakened after years of slumber or the mc is chosen along with 6 others to destroy the world then the universe and then onto the multiverse just tired of the standard hero villain theme needs to be evolved upon and stretched to reach new heights not just super powers and choosing to be good or evil

Super system monster evolution is a great example of something new and engaging who wouldn’t want build the perfect monster

Teen detective

2 Likes

Isekai isn’t done at all I don’t think.

Horror not as often but can’t do that on this format. The closest would be doomsday on demand.

Epic trilogies are rare af & usually the best content there is

1 Like

Dysfunctional family life :smiling_face_with_tear:(like Shameless)

1 Like

Not sure this is an actual genre, but sort of an epic builder type, like constructing a megabuild/supercity, or floating city, artificial planet, ect. Things where you have a lot of resources and creative options and grand goal to complete.

Also, alternative sequels. I enjoy affairs of the court: choice of romance, but always kind of wished I could play out the alternate endings of the part one, rather than only continuing if I pick the royal consort end.

Rather than a genre, I think we need some Genre clash. Taking a character built for one setting and putting them in a fish out of water scenario by putting them in another.

Multi pov. One of my favorite never finished works in progress gave you the ability to play as 5 different species of monster, with a different start for each species, and the starts you didn’t choose still existed as default characters to interact with. Each start had something in particular to make it stand out. It feels like a great avenue for more intricate stories and fleshed out narratives.

1 Like

I love (like, absolutely adore) builders, but I’m not sure the genre translates well into IF in its full complexity.

2 Likes

There are very few “traditional” adventure novels, particularly the exploratory subgenre. I think the last WIP of that type that I saw was the one about searching for El Dorado to find your missing mother. Is there just no demand for that sort of story? I’ve always found them rather fun.

There is the whole “build an space arc for humanity before a giant asterriod wipes out humanity” IF, The Kepler Colony: Evacuation.

It wouldn’t be a pure step by step builder so much as a narrative of the person in charge making initial choices, dealing with problems as they arise, negotiating with nations for technology that solves said problems, with inherent time skips and random or scripted events.

Lies Under Ice has a similar thing.

2 Likes

Warhammer type and Isekai

The Last Wizard is at least Isekai-ish. It does at least share the aspects of the MC being transported to another and him at least functioning as a kind of chosen one(though maybe not being that in a strict sense).

1 Like

Cyberpunk, wuxia and stories where you can play as a musician (not a genre, but seeing a new wip where you can be part of a band always bring me joy)

I still wanting more horror and thrillers though

4 Likes