What genre of game do you feel is most in need of more representation?

biopunk survival horror adventure like Scorn,
Or might be BioShock,
Amnesia (psychological? horror),
Soma (survival horror),
Penumbra (episodic survival horror)

:thinking:

Loki is an elder god anyway, of course they don’t quite fit the mold.

THERE IS A SHERLOCK HOLMES BASED GAME!!! The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - an affair of the heart it’s a demo currently but it’s also amazing and I love it. (it captures the adrenaline that comes with solving a case and the subsequent death-boredom that Holmes experiences…)

7 Likes

When I was a younger lad I had an old shareware choose you own adventure style game (on 5.25 inch floppy disk) based on the 50’s movie Run Silent Run Deep, which was based on a book by the same name. The game was mediocre to poor, but the book was quite good. It could be an interesting and different story. Don’t recall to many submarine games in the past decade.

There’s a lack of good mysteries on here. Then again, mysteries, especially in IF format, are VERY hard to write. (There’s also not a lot of steampunk!! I’d like more steampunk. Steampunk mystery stories would be awesome.)

6 Likes

I think they’re actually are a couple

After reading that great Sherlock WIP, I feel like a ‘Les Miserable’ game could be fun, that book and its adaptations are so massive and plentiful, you can easily retool it to fit a plethora of genres.

Hell, you could even make a pseudo super-hero game given that that super strength canonically exist in that world.

It’s even easy to insert the player character depending on when you start. You could also be a retooled Valjean or a prisoner that escaped with him if you start at the very start, you could be a random who happen to pass by Cosette’s mom if you start a bit later or you could be a noble / revolutionist / both if you start when shit started hitting the fan.

And I don’t say all that just cause I just wanna play a game where I get to romance genderbent versions of all the characters like I’m playing an overly specific FATE game, no sir.

(Fun fact: There’s an old japanese fighting game based on Les Misérable, it’s pretty fun).

9 Likes

I’m currently writing a mystery IF (with a lot of romance thrown in), and it’s super daunting! Like, how do you avoid making it either too obvious or impossible for the audience to see it on reread?

I LOVE the musical! And I completely agree, it has a great set up. There’s a revolution, drama, romance… perfect for an IF

5 Likes

We could definitely use more noir-flavored fantasy thriller mysteries set in aviancentric societies.

10 Likes

Suspiciously specific denial request.

9 Likes

I read Aviancentric and I got hella confused because I thought avian means birds and you wanted Bird Detectives with magic or something. I’d be hella down for that if I get to be a penguin or something

3 Likes

That is EXACTLY what he meant. Well, except the penguin part.

(it’s a reference to Talon City)

But penguins take such small steps.

8 Likes

The penguin thing would be a step too far.

8 Likes

Oh my god, I’m stupid. I was literally just thinking “Man, this sounds like that Talon City game” but shrugged it off.

6 Likes

Maybe a very shameless plug :face_with_peeking_eye: but I’m currently writing an IF with a heavy focus on mystery while also emphasizing character relationships, though I don’t know if it classifies as good lmao

10 Likes

I vouch for her story, it’s G-O-O-D…

Now back to writing miss! :grin:

(My bad, never looked at your profile)

Check her Profile Eric…

2 Likes

Wip thread?

oh it’s uh, here :flushed:

no harm done, but thank you :))

1 Like

You know, speaking of mystery, I feel like there’s not enough “Who Dunnit”. I would love to play a thriller mystery about an mc going to a remote place with coworkers or friends, everyone has some type of twisted past or relationships etc

Then people start getting brutally murder one by one(including love interests) or better yet your actually sleeping with the killer.

7 Likes

Agatha christie made a book about that and it was turned into many movies…

All her books were just…amazing!

8 Likes