What genre of game do you feel is most in need of more representation?

I’d say there is a distinct lack of gothic horror type vampies, werewolves and demons. Most of the ones in CSGs are very much more modern interpretations and have very little horror. There are a couple of exceptions but they’re rare. True horror (in any style) is definitely under represented in CSGs.

Me too! A lot of folklore is seriously dark and creepy. Would like to see a lot more of it appear on here. (I wrote one on rusalka, and another on each uisge, really like doing little snippets on dark mythology but they don’t seem to have the same following as lighter mythology and tales. I really need to get Abysm’s veil done which runs dark, and see how it is received.)

I thought of another one I’d love to see which is space exploration style CSGs. Something set in a world like star trek with a bit of danger, diplomacy, exploration, etc. Basically focusing on exploring the galaxy more than anything else.

8 Likes

I don’t know, one might struggle with making vampires, werewolves and even demons scary these days :rofl: after all the dating sims and movies. We might need more material or approach.
Wendigo’s been promising so far, memes from horny people aside. That too will someday be less terrifying and more humanized (already is, probably).
People’s need to relate to monsters is fascinating.

5 Likes

I do feel like there’s been too much focus on the sparkly, vampires type of thing, and not on the old vampire from the folklore, the type of vampires that feed upon emotions and thoughts instead of blood, can control the very forces of the weather, or more like Eldridge beings, then your usual good looking, blood sucking fiend

3 Likes

Well, if you want completely unrelatable eldritch horrors, there’s always Cthulhu…

[Googles]

oh hell no

7 Likes

oh? :eyes: Those look very promising, thank you for recommending me these!

Always go for the shameless plug of your own games :joy: I haven’t read it yet, because the complexity of loving your family, even though they can drive you absolutely nuts at times, is something people should write more of, but I don’t think I can stomach that right now. I do plan to read it in the future but at the moment I think I would like something that is a bit more tooth-rotting fluff when it comes to family :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Would like to see some secret agent story, like 007 or U.N.C.L.E., not quite action filled, more like a thriller with a Double agent on enemy lines.

1 Like

Would like to see more fairytale IFs. There are so few of them.
Would like to see more dystopian science fiction. I love that genre.
Space exploration, aliens, and androids sound cool also.
Also, I know interactive fiction is over-saturated with fantasy IFs, but I still love them since fantasy is my favorite genre. So I don’t want to see people stop making them.

9 Likes

Yep, I’d like to see much more of that in games too and it potentially is much more difficult than saving the world. One of my fave DS9 quotes….from Odo of all the characters is about exactly that:

Agree with that too…so long as I can play gay male mc’s, which is really incredibly rare in fairytales. In my knowledge of the more commonly known ones the princes function more as plot devices or rewards/prices than actual characters.

Yes please!

9 Likes

Ah, the ‘Coupling’ had the last laugh considering Odo end up falling for the Major :grin:

Also, while on the subject: I’ll say hm, how about a murder mystery? Thriller? A more haunted house would be nice.

I like when a story make you think, and get you hooked trying to figure out what’s going on you know?

3 Likes

I’d really like more detective and puzzle games as well. Off the top of my head, right now the only ones that even come close is Insert-Rich-Family-Name-Here and Ansible Station. Relics 2 is better at that role, and I think there’s a chapter in those themes in Relics 3. Also a chapter in each of the Pon Paras.

8 Likes

That’s the reason why no one want to either read or write that part.

1 Like

I don’t like puzzles, when I said ‘Make you think’ I didn’t mean make me wanna murder you for putting a fucking puzzle in the game! :rofl:

Think more like Agatha Christie. She had a talent of making you think who did it and the why.

what that even mean?

1 Like

That for many enduring each other instead of loving each other feel too uncomfortly close to reality

4 Likes

so…the solution is what? We just write about War, and pew pew and Kaboum?

1 Like

This thing you’re describing is literally a logic puzzle.

7 Likes

well yeah, but you know? make you think doesn’t mean you like puzzle-puzzle.

I suck at those when someone put that empty white box and say ‘Insert here your solution’… :sob:

I just can’t. There was this game I was into the story, and at some point that’s pretty much what happen. I dropped it so fast, never got to finish it to this day. And yes, it is a COG or Hosted game I think?

Shame, cause the story was good till that fucking box showed up.

3 Likes

Maybe because it’s that some people think it
wouldn’t be as interesting. Once the couple gets together all the sparks are gone.

Which isn’t true at all, I’m more than game to see a couple get together and we see how that progresses.

4 Likes

pfff…when peoples get together thats where the fun begin lol

In a story? I have experience, but in an IF setting? Hm, how would that work though?

because in an IF peoples want more romances choices.

1 Like

I think their point is that they’d rather read about the build-up to romance than an actual relationship.

Doing something you don’t like because your partner likes it isn’t “enduring each other” but, rather, learning to compromise. It’s something that many people tend to do for people they love because they love them and enjoy their company. And it’s typically returned. If you go into it with the idea of “I can barely tolerate you” then yeah, no one wants to live that way or play a game that reflects that.

If that’s how people here view relationships, it’s no wonder all anyone wants to play or read about is flirting and longing glances with a kiss or screw at the end!

WTF? Yeah, I don’t like that. I like puzzles like the ones that were in bioware games (KOTOR, I think?) where you had to spin the things around until they clicked or whatever. Been a while since I played it, lol.

3 Likes

hence why romances shouldn’t be treated like a reward of some kind. Because the ‘build up’ never end. It is still there. You still have to work for the relationship to keep working. With everyday things getting in the way, with life throwing shit at you, with the world around you going to hell…

coughmason&youCough

:rofl:

3 Likes