What are some settings you wish COG/HG would revisit?

I’m unsure if there’s been a thread on this already, as I couldn’t find it with a cursory search.

The release of Scandal Note got me thinking about Jazz Age and a setting in the 1920s. While I don’t know that the game would qualify as a complete debacle, I definitely think that a lot of people were underwhelmed by the overall story despite enjoying the setting. And the same goes for a lot of games: some settings are incredibly compelling, but the game doesn’t quite deliver. Or, alternatively, the game delivers in spades, but the setting is just so damn good that it begs to be revisited.

What settings would you like to see revisited?

5 Likes

Heart of Battle for sure. I enjoyed the story and characters, but imo the setting felt vague at times, more of a backdrop for the conflict than a world of its own. For instance, there wasn’t a lot of detail about the causes and impact of the war between Messimera and Coritan, the tactics each country used, leading figures, etc. Bit of a shame as there’s a lot of untapped potential in Roman-esque fantasy. I think it’s good that the author is working on another story set in the same world, and I’m definitely looking forward to it.

7 Likes

I do enjoy the pre-/interwar period, early 20th century with all the imaginations and visions of the future, both technological and societal. And ‘close sci-fi/fantasy’ based on that (Jules Verne et cetera).

Choice of the Petal Throne took place in the universe of an old tabletop game called Tékumel. I always thought the world building was really cool, although to be honest this might just be me wanting a sequel because it was one of the first COGs I read and still one of my favorites.

8 Likes

Silverworld, though its possible endings might be TOO disparate for @Moochava to ever make a sequel to it.

9 Likes

My eyes would be full of hearts forever if there was another Craft Sequence game one day.

I’d love to see something else set in the Cannonfire Concerto, Heart of the House or Weyrwood settings. Manners + creepy eldritch magic = always a good time.

8 Likes

Silverworld is inspired by an old Worlds of Ultima game called The Savage Empire, and there’s actually another Worlds of Ultima game called Martian Dreams; I’d happily return to the alternate-universe 19th century Byzantium of Silverworld so Doctor Sabbatine could send the player to Mars. But that would have to be after my current NDA’d project and the conclusion to the Pon Para trilogy.

12 Likes

Oh oh! The other one I just thought of after looking at my library - Broadsides. My heart yearns for something Jane Austen inflected in that setting. Or just more Napoleonic-esque ship shenanigans, I’m not fussy. Or spying! Ach if only… Maybe I just need to write some fanfiction.

7 Likes

I would really love more WW1 and the pre WW2 stuff. It’s such a wonderful setting.

5 Likes

Rent-a-vice for sure. I loved that noir//futuristic vibe so much

4 Likes

I misread the title and got excited. I thought you meant which COG world we’d like to visit. Like… for real. :pensive:

I find the setting of Tower Behind the Moon to be evocative and utterly insane in a good sense, creating a feeling of both vastness and adventure few others achieve. I would love to play in another over-the-top epic, perhaps this time as a conqueror rather than a wizard seeking godhood.

7 Likes

Heroes of myth. I’d love to see the fallout/consequences of my decision to bridge the worlds.

3 Likes

That would actually be a really interesting sequel, but I don’t think it would be possible, just because there are so many different and states and variations

1 Like

Definitely A Study in Steampunk: Choice by Gaslight. Action, danger, intrigues, spies, investigations and love. Oh, what the marvelous adventure it was. Really like the setting and characters. My old good doctor and Finch were magnificent together.

7 Likes

Tin Star first and foremost
And Heart of the house, The Mysteries of Baroque, both excellent games feed my goth craving.
And The Eagle’s Heir. I really like the steam punk Napoleonic era setting, but personally I think it lacks polishing and the story didn’t really deliver either

6 Likes

By far, my choice would Choice of Dragons, it’s an early COG game with so much potential.

Tokyo Wizard would be cool too.

That one was really good, I think it was even the first COG game with a poly option and the clan dynamics were cool.

3 Likes

This will sound weird, but more than another game set in Tékumel, I would like a remake of the original Choice of the Petal Throne. The game, while fun and very well made, suffers from feeling extremely short and to (with all due respect) coming out as some sort of promotion for the tabletop setting, rather than a complete adventure. Is one of my favorites, and because of that I would like to see that same story expanded and made into a proper epic.

2 Likes

Yeah it really does hook you really well and then just kind of… end lol.

1 Like

Which is precisely why it hurts: It takes you throught the ropes of the setting but the moment you think it will finally let you walk on your own the game is already over. It doesn’t feel that the story of your character gets much closure either, with the war still raging and your ambitions unfulfilled.

1 Like