What are some settings you wish COG/HG would revisit?

Life as a god would be cool to revisit or at least get something in the same genre.

1 Like

Agreed Tekumel is amazing. Danielle Goudeau Is an amazing writer.

Tin Star is such a lovely game. A personal favourite.

I don’t know if it’d be a revisit, but I’d like to see some post-apocalyptic settings that didn’t involve zombies, mutants or Mad Max type marauders. Sort of like After the Storm felt like it was shaping up to be, before the Mad Max type marauders came in. Disaster happens, meet up with survivors, survive… Isn’t that going to be difficult enough? And yeah, there are always going to be those kinds of people, but they won’t be everywhere and depending on where your fledgling community is you might not be considered worth the trouble of raiding…

Okay, that turned into a pre-rant. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Personally a modern setting, with more of a grounded story. No magic, no elves, no fantasy. It’s just so hard to find something that would scratch that itch for me.

3 Likes

Tékumel creator M.A.R. Barker was recently revealed as a Holocaust denier and anti-Semite. Proceeds from Petal Throne are being donated to Jewish charities. Obviously you’re not wrong to enjoy the game or the setting, but it’s safe to say that CoG won’t be revisiting Tékumel anytime soon.

6 Likes

Yeah I wasn’t aware of that when I originally made the comment. It sucks but I still enjoy Choice of the Petal Throne itself and support it’s author for agreeing to donate the proceeds.

5 Likes

Yeah, i saw that blog post they had made.
It just seemed very heavy-handed of COG to shut down the whole possibility of any new Tekumel games, just because the author had unsavoury and extremist views in another work under a pseudonym. With no fan input, the move had the stench of “cancel culture” , as though Tekumel was riddled with the same poison and had to be baby/bath-watered in a sacrificial gesture to placate possible future offences. shrugs.

2 Likes

That’s a very dramatic interpretation of the issue. This is a case of the connection between the art and the artist, and there aren’t easy answers.

6 Likes

The decisions about Choice of the Petal Throne were made by CoG, the Tekumel Foundation, and Danielle Goudeau as laid out in this statement. There’s no reason for “fan input” to have had any bearing on those decisions.

6 Likes

They published one Tékumel game, eight years ago; it’s not as if they cancelled a project that was already underway or otherwise broke an existing contract. They could have taken the game out of their lineup altogether; they didn’t. They could have quietly donated the money without making any sort of announcement; they didn’t. Instead, the people and organizations that had a financial stake in the game made a decision about what to do with money they earned, and shared with us the solution they worked out to one particular instance of the collision of art and conscience. Nothing has been taken from fans at all except a vague hope of something that was unlikely already.

9 Likes

@jasonstevanhill or someone needs to let Max know that we need one more entry for the informal trilogy to be complete!

2 Likes

I never lose hope for a Mecha Ace sequel or sidegame. Or even any mecha game in a new setting - these are surprisingly rare and I have no idea why.

4 Likes

From what I saw, most authors add a ton of weapons, proceed to not know how to write fight scenes with any of them and then gave up.

Like that one mecha team fight WIP with that in-school robot tournament I forgot the name of.

Pulse university by @Aviator467 sad he not in here anymore

1 Like

I’m working on a DLC for Tokyo Wizard now… so far it is something like 40,000 words long, but it will likely still grow a bit more. No release date yet, but since you mentioned it…

3 Likes

Wow, that’s an awesome news, it was one of the first hosted games I bought and I had a lot of fun with it even if I sucked at the combat system.

2 Likes

For me the settings that i hope COG/HG will revisit is kidnapped prom queen, i love the modern setting and without magic so it’s easy to feel at home for me, i also fan’s of mystery and light mystery setting not to mention COG/HG lack modern mystery detective game

Super sad. I miss his work

5 Likes

I’m glad you’re still here man​:sob::+1: