Welcome to Moreytown — Claw your way to the top of this slum for furries

We’re proud to announce that Welcome to Moreytown, the latest in our popular “Choice of Games” line of multiple-choice interactive-fiction games, is now available for Steam, iOS, and Android. It’s 25% off until May 12th!

Claw your way to the top of Moreytown, a furry slum for human-animal hybrids. Will you take down the gangs who rule the town, or take them over instead?

Welcome to Moreytown is a 150,000-word interactive novel by S. Andrew Swann. It’s entirely text-based, without graphics or sound effects, and fueled by the vast, unstoppable power of your imagination.

You’re a moreau: a genetically engineered human-animal hybrid, a remnant of mankind’s last war. Surviving life in a Moreytown hasn’t been easy, but now, someone is out to kill you and your fellow “moreys”—unexplained fires, explosions, and the gangs swirling around the neighborhood add up to big trouble. It’s up to you to save your pelt, and maybe take over town.

Play as one of thirteen different species, including tiger, capybara, bear, or wolf. Infiltrate a sinister cult, or ally yourself with a gang of moreys. Choose a side and let the fur fly!

• Play as male, female, or non-binary, gay, straight, bi, or ace
• Fight the police or help them to bring down a terrifying enemy
• Save your neighborhood from utter destruction
• Take over a street gang, or even run your own cult
• Explore multiple potential romantic relationships

We hope you enjoy playing Welcome to Moreytown. We encourage you to tell your friends about it, and recommend the game on StumbleUpon, Facebook, Twitter, and other sites. Don’t forget: our initial download rate determines our ranking on the App Store. The more times you download in the first week, the better our games will rank.

19 Likes

Can someone please tell me if this is another “social issues” games like Hero Project: Redemption Season or Eternal Sea?

3 Likes

Huh… I’ll give it a try, hahah!

1 Like

@Urban Well, I like it a lot; I think of it more like ‘film noir with mammalians’. Plenty of adventure and interesting characters, and a lot of room for different types of player characters.

But, I also really like Sea Eternal, though for very different reasons, so maybe take my opinion with a grain of salt.

7 Likes

Um. Kinda? Your MC is a minority and some unfairness happens to you because of it.

You don’t save the world through social awareness if that’s what you mean. I didn’t play HPR so I can’t make a comparison there. If this doesn’t answer your questions, please clarify and I’ll try again.

My first run was a Chinese bear who I imagined as a panda. I beat the cultists by taking over a gang, but I didn’t really engage with pro-human or pro-animal activism.

PSA: some species are determined by the choice where you pick why you live in the apartment that you have. You have to pick that you’re very large or very small in order for some of those choices to open up.

Also, your nationality is determined by your species type. Tigers are Indian, Foxes are British, Bears can pick where they’re from. You can also enter your own name and give yourself a nickname.

3 Likes

I usually give these games a trial run before buying. But the default name for humans is “pinks” so, I’ll give that a pass.

1 Like

HPRS had your character be part foi a minority, the game pushed you heavily to be an activist for more rights for this minority. If you focused no yourself, you were heavily punished (like a RO dying because you are not an actvist enough) and boy the end if the game, it’s forcei you to be one whatever you want it or not.
The game promised a story abou hero, but for a lot of players it became a game about actvism against social issues.

So I’m weary to buy a game from CoG that has discrimination and other social issues as a theme.

3 Likes

Could I ask if someone has buy this If is a racist language and racist game? Because all I read about universe is racism and stuff smilar like species based in nacionality that already felt terrible wrong for a so inclusive company. Humans as pinks is racist as hell. No all human are white hell there are far more people from other races as whites. And even I being white find it offensive because I am more than the color of my skin. I think I will pass of this game

3 Likes

Same! I dunno if it’s for the same reason, but I’m human and very much not pink. It’s giving me the bad vibes of that trope where all the humans are white and the poc are erased in favor of a fantastical race or races. Which has less than great implications since these new races are animal people.

6 Likes

The fact that not all humans are literally pink is addressed in the MCs thoughts.

It’s okay if you still don’t want to play. Just saying that it is addressed.

You can be anti-human or pro-integration or neither. The game doesn’t punish you for picking one path over another, the storylines just differ.

I don’t know about ROs, I only played once so far and I got dumped at the end by the pro-harmony hippy guy because I solved all my problems in this game with violence. :joy:

5 Likes

I found the ‘pinks’ term obnoxious and rather offensive too. There is an in-game explanation of it but it’s several pages in. I did think it was nicely snarky about human perspectives and terms for human races. There are some snarky remarks about humans making unfortunate judgements regarding gender as well, which I appreciated.

Here is the passage (it’s within the free demo):

The man is in street clothes, but his rumpled suit and tie scream “cop” as loudly as a riot shield and a baton. His dark brown complexion gives the lie to the moreau slang term “pink.” Though, originally referring to lack of fur, the moreau term still makes more sense than the pink preoccupation with dividing themselves into “black” and “white.” This cop aside, some pinks really did have pink skin. If anyone saw a pink whose flesh was actually colored white, someone should probably be calling an ambulance.

This character was one of my favourites. Another was a moreau with a South African accent.

Much as I dislike it, I do wonder if keeping the term ‘pink’ is because the author already has a series out with established words for things, ‘pink’ being one of them. Plus the film noir vibe, which has generally been a genre to put things in offensive ways, unfortunately.

9 Likes

Bought the game. So far the only terms that I’ve encountered that are ‘racist’ are pinks and moreys, hahah. And that’s by the game’s own logic.

If that bothers anyone, I wouldn’t recommend it. But from what I’ve read so far, it’s interesting.

C’mon, people! Not to erase the problem that is racism, but the terms were designed to be derogatory, they’re not going to take into account all the colors of the rainbow that humans tend to come in. 'Sides, the MC I think acknowledges the inaccuracy of the term, as @bobsmyuncle said.

12 Likes

Well, they use the term pink because of “pinkie” (the hairless baby rat), because humans aren’t hairy (unlike moreys); not because of their skin color. The game itself notes that not all humans are white, and even white/caucasian people are not really of said pigmentation.

Here are some pinkies:

14 Likes

Still is a game about racism and oppression and I don’t want read a book about racism and oppression . To see that I could looking at the window everyday. Don’t get me wrong it seems well written and this time there is not a false information due this is certainly a game about those issues . Still I found the select a nacionality to get a animal origin terrible racist and a big no and stereotypes about nacionality. That’s far worse racism than the term pink

2 Likes

It’s based on animals natural range. The setting is that people took their local animals and experimented on them until they gained sapience.

So the cheetah guy is African, bears can come from a few places based on the animal’s habitat, you can play a house cat from pretty much anywhere.

I didn’t think that was racist, but your mileage may vary.

8 Likes

Fair enough. I was just explaining why was the term “pink” used; because of the hairless baby rat, not white people themselves :sweat_smile:

The social issues are a part of the game, yeah, but it’s not like with THP, where you either did what the author considered “good” (aka extreme railroading), or things got ugly for you. Here you have much more freedom.

Here I agree with @bobsmyuncle; the game explains that the reason is because of the moreys’ origins (The MC’s race, not them in particular), even if they are born in that same country. It’s like when someone sees me (an Asian); the first thing they are going to assume is that I came from China/Japan/Korea, and not that I was born in Spain (and they would be right, by the way).

6 Likes

Yeah, because there are no zoos or anything. I don’t want have to be a Bull because I am Spanish. Like Spanish I had to deal with every stranger talking me about Toros bulls
I am tired as hell of those stereotypes. There are lions in nearby zoos. And Bears. And everything really. If you were hybrid an animal and a person you won’t say… No no I wouldn’t choose that it doesn’t belong to our zone. I will only use nacional animals.

I don’t assume anything. I have mixed people in my family. And I have seen more lions in Spain that bulls. Just my personal perception I found it not cool. Is like say my cousin no no you are x race so you are not from here.

It’s the other way around, you pick what type of animal you want to play as and the game tells you where that type was developed. It affects the choice of names if you want to use default, but you can always enter a custom name.

The MC is born in the US, the game tells you where your species is from when you’re questioned by police. It seemed like a reference to when white Americans ask Americans of color where they are “from.”

3 Likes

In this thread: people judging a book by its cover…

Play the demo, see for yourself, form your own opinions and act accordingly.

29 Likes