New Hosted Game! "Too Different" By Andrew Kenneth Specter

Hosted Games has a new game for you to play!

Unravel the mysterious past of your parents and homeland while journeying through four unique lands! As you travel, you may discover friendship, love, or things better left unknown…But whatever you decide, you will change the world forever, or understand what it means to truly be too different.

It’s 40% off until Oct 16th!

Too Different is a 200,000 word interactive science-fantasy novel by Andrew Kenneth Specter, where your choices control the story. It’s entirely text-based—without graphics or sound effects—and fueled by the vast, unstoppable power of your imagination.

• Play as male, female, or nonbinary; gay, asexual, or straight.
  • Choose the origin of your mother from one of four familiar species.
  • Romance a childhood frenemy, quiet classmate, sassy A.I. helper, forgetful priest, human-obsessed romance novelist, slam poet, or hacktivist.
  • Complete a secret poem and discover the surprising history behind the Second Capital.
  • Work with the oppressive Board or end their tyranny forever!
Andrew Specter developed this game using ChoiceScript, a simple programming language for writing multiple-choice interactive novels like these. Writing games with ChoiceScript is easy and fun, even for authors with no programming experience. Write your own game and Hosted Games will publish it for you, giving you a share of the revenue your game produces.
49 Likes

Thank you to all my family, friends, colleagues, and beta testers! All of you make these possible and I am truly grateful to each and every one of you! (:

56 Likes

congratulations! just bought the game and have been playing it for the past few minutes and i have been enjoying it very greatly!

4 Likes

Congratulations!

6 Likes

Having just started this I think I must have played the demo sometime it the past, the start is very familiar to me. Not that it matters really. I am having fun with it. Congrats on finishing!

3 Likes

Congratulations sir

4 Likes

Glad to see it is finally out! Great job!

3 Likes

So far, I really like this world and the characters. I just wonder if that stats screen can be condensed. I would like to be able to see an overview of the numerical relationships without having to go back through the stat menus for every one.

4 Likes

Congrats!!!

3 Likes

Congratulations on the release, @Writing_Fever.

2 Likes

Congratulations!! :tada::heart:

2 Likes

I think I found a bug or two. Sometimes there is only one option, and it’s a negative one, even if I have a good relationship with the character. Example:

I’m 59% friends with her. This also happened when I went to see my uncle (wispy) and he wanted me to help him with a merchant but the ONLY option was to refuse and he felt hurt.

Please help, I really like the game but I want to actually have choices…

4 Likes

Congratulations @Writing_Fever on the release.

1 Like

Congratulations on the release @Writing_Fever

1 Like

Congrats !
I will make a Wispie and call her Erma (don’t know if anyone know that comic)

1 Like

So, my MC was Wispy, kinda went batshit and took control of the Board. The only thing is - how did Larua, who was supposedly dead, magically sent her into the afterlife?

1 Like

So… your daddy is a Human Scientist (Russian names, Slavic ethnicity). who got unhealthy interest in a worm hole and contacted this extraspecies woman with whom end up making this baby half-human (the Mc/you)
The differences by choosing the Mom is this:

• Wispy Mother / (A Elf, A ghost? I don’t know really know what inspired her )
    Results as the son/daughter:
    You have straight silver hair and gray eyes. Your skin is incredibly pale.

• Were Mother / (Logic: Werewolf Expy)
    You are taller and more muscular than an average human of your age. Your arms are longer than your legs, and you have an extreme spinal arch that allows you to comfortably sprint in a quadrupedal posture.

Fur grows on the sides of your face, chest, forearms, and legs.

You have a prominent nose bridge and slight facial protrusion around your mouth to accommodate your sharp teeth. Your ears are pointed and move involuntarily whenever your emotion changes.

Oh, and you have clawed fingers and toes. And a tail, can’t forget about the tail.

• Waxy Mother / (… No freaking idea, A Golem peraphs? no clue what this girl is )
    You have smooth dark skin and expressive brown eyes. Your black hair is naturally coarse.

• Wanderer Mother / (Logic: Vampire Expy)
    You have long, straight black hair. Your skin is eerily pale except for below your eyes, which have perpetual dark circles beneath them.

Both your upper and lower canines are sharper than average human teeth.

/ Gameplay wise I start with the ones I know for sure what they are, the familiar ones: The Vampire or The Werewolf woman (that why the races all start with W I guess) But storywise I don’t know if it change anything aside the power set you got at the begin. And can’t tell who is really the best choice

2 Likes

Thank you all! (:

Would you prefer if it were like the reputations screen, or did you have something else in mind?

That isn’t a bug, you just barely missed the friendship check, which I believe is at 60%. It should be possible to meet that value at that stage of the game if you keep in mind what Yelena likes (not being confrontational, being nice to Emil, etc.) and do not try to upset her too much.

Do you happen to remember what your humanity percentage was?

She’s not actually dead, the Weres just call the other Warped species “Deads” because they don’t age like humans and Weres do. I suppose technically they’re from another dimension, so I think of them more like aliens with ghostly characteristics.

You got it right with ghost!

They’re loosely based on mummies.

I’m a sucker for consistency, haha!

The personalities of your uncle and cousin change, and some opportunities unlock only when you are half- a particular species. For example, Ink-Battle has a very different personality than, say, Bel, and only half-Waxies are allowed to enter the Corpussuary.

That’s entirely objective and very dependent on what you prefer in your adventures. All of the romance options, human classmates, and Warped guides have different enough reactions, interests, and dislikes that it’s really impossible to rate one route as the best.

7 Likes

Yes, something like the reputation screen would seem like it worked better. Just put the character description and such then above or below that the percentages.

1 Like

I liked the game, its concept too but I felt it short despite being a novel of only 200 thousand words plus I felt out of context of the story (I really don’t know if we are in a secret installation or in space or in portals, I was quite confused) had the potential to be longer and have more consistent stuff. So I’m hoping to see a spin-off from this universe with another story. This was a good start.

1 Like