Undying Crown (WIP)

Update 2.01: Fragments of the moon - Dragon Trail path installed, Vassal Sparring installed, Memory Scope event installed, Outposts system started, memory scope background for 1 character - 17/02/14

A pleasant day, afternoon, or evening to everyone!

I’ve finally gotten to the point of installing the features and revamping the game so much that I can now call it as Update 2.0! The new version is still based on the original premise of an open game but the beginning is directed with more quests to progress the story further. I’ve also added a theme and title add to the story and that is the Uncrowned Kings.

Title: Undying Crown: The Uncrowned Kings - Title update courtesy of @Julien_DeWinter
Link: https://dashingdon.com/go/1081
Link: https://dashingdon.com/play/antoinnesommeil/undying-king/mygame/

Summary:
You play the role of an open character that can become almost anything depending on your actions. There’s also the situation that you may not be fully in control of who you are and have another person residing in your character. The story involves vassals, quests, and a mix of building and quests (obviously, not yet installed but will be soon).

Highlights:
Open sand box type and action oriented
Vassal system - Recruit characters that develops the story further
RPG like system mix with strategy and building management
Multiple Endings and play styles

Note: The pictures are only for testing purposes and ARE NOT my property. It is not used for commercial purposes as of the moment and serve as markers for where pictures SHOULD be.

Any feedback or comments are welcomed. Thank you very much!

39 Likes

The race of the beasts are the youngest of the major clans and have the most variety out of all the clans. They came about with the rise of humans conjuring the spirits of the animals and fused them in their souls. They possess the normal humanoid form but can transform to their animal form through essences. These essences are passed on through generations.

I’m not a big fan of text-based RPGs, but this is simple, evenly spaced, as well as relatively easy to understand and read and avoids textwalls, which is good for my autism.

One little niggle here, choosing to play as nb:

You are both blade and sheath and sometimes even at the same time.

Some nbs are neither male nor female and wouldn’t want to be associated with either feminity or masculinity or reminded of genitals, which is what the “blade and sheath” analogy is.

By comparing a “blade and sheath” to male and female, it’s also ignoring binary transgender people. It’s best to just remove or replace the genital analogy entirely.

I doubt I’ll play this more, but it does look good! I think it has a lot of potential!

2 Likes

I couldn’t get any jobs after the intro. Lacked the reqs for pest control, gardener booted me back to HQ, and new prospects gave me this:

You finally finished you contract as a . You get your final paycheque and as well as a handsome bonus of 0 for working. You get recognized as a rather hard-working fellow at work and they actually don’t mind you working again as a casual or regular.

Instead, I went monster hunting, which had a lot of long decimals in it:

Monstereggs pounces and attacks.
Enemy dealt 4.699999999999999!

The stats screen also had a decimal explosion on one of the opposed stats:

Order: 51.19999999999999% Chaos: 48.80000000000001%

When I killed the eggs, I got this error message:

startup line 1379: invalid indent, expected at least one line in ‘if’ true block

and nothing after that.

2 Likes

Sounds good and it a bit different

1 Like

Why not the undying crown if you are going for gender neutral?

3 Likes

Needs more character interaction and a story,less repetition. The very beginning was the most interesting part.

3 Likes

Thanks, Laguz. I just realized your name has a reference to the beast race in the Fire Emblem. :grinning:

I’ll actually take that suggestion and remove the blade and sheath analogy completely. I have forgotten to consider that at all!

Original Posting…

Happy New Year Everyone!

I hope everyone is doing well. I am very grateful for all the feedback that you’ve provided for my first WIP, jig-saw. It is a learning experience and I haven’t fully given up on it yet but I will revisit later on. But for now, I’d like to introduce a new WIP. It’s nowhere near complete but it should shed some feel about the game. Without further ado, the details of the game are below.

Title: Undying Crown - Title update courtesy of @Julien_DeWinter
Link: https://dashingdon.com/go/1081930
Link: https://dashingdon.com/play/antoinnesommeil/undying-king/mygame/650

*note - title may change to the Immortal Sage for a more gender neutral title.

Summary:
You play the role of an open character that can become almost anything depending on your actions. There’s also the situation that you may not be fully in control of who you are and have another person residing in your character. The story involves vassals, quests, and a mix of building and quests (obviously, not yet installed but will be soon).

Highlights:
Open sand box type and action oriented
Vassal system - Recruit characters that develops the story further
RPG like system mix with strategy and building management
Multiple Endings and play styles

Note: The pictures are only for testing purposes and ARE NOT my property. It is not used for commercial purposes as of the moment and serve as markers for where pictures SHOULD be.

Any feedback or comments are welcomed. Thank you very much!

Mini Update notes 1.01: Added gardening job, fixed error on hunting, title change
Mini Update notes 1.02: Added fragments of the moon quest, fixed error on line 1781, added whispering blade quest (random quest in quest option), some spelling check
Mini Update notes 1.03: Added version 2 of undying, added a chapter 1 finish on the original. Some options are not available yet.
Mini Update notes 1.04: Added two new races for both files, added more story line for version 2. Demi-Demon class courtesy of @Jesus
Mini Update notes 1.05: Undying Sovereign Link Update, Added new quests the fight, fixed corporeal option, changed some stat requirements for weapon upgrade for fragments of the moon
Mini Update notes 1.06: fixed error on line 1186, thanks @Dark_Stalker for point it out, removed link for Undying Sovereign and decide to go with story driven version, fixed minor things in establish and time triggers.

Regards,

Antoinne Sommeil

Scheduled updates: Add first doable quest, market, and full item installment, first vassal recruit, control decimal explosion

1 Like

Hi CodPor,

Thanks for the comment about the error in the item block. I forgot to properly indent that!
I’m not too sure on how to handle the decimals though. :confounded:
And the jobs, I haven’t completely installed all of it yet. I’ve only gotten to the pest control one first.

The update sometime today or tomorrow should fix the error in line 1379. Really appreciate for finding that one! :smiley:

@Harley_Robin_Evans
Thanks for the input!

@Julien_DeWinter
This title is actually going to be the top of the list now. It’s has a catchy ring to it and unless something else comes most likely this will be the title. Thanks!

@Alion1
I’m going to add more character interaction for sure later on. It’s only in the beginning processes and I haven’t gotten to that point yet and see the feel of it in the forum. I will definitely add more to that in the next few updates!

1 Like

You could use round() to make your math round to the nearest whole number (if that’s what you want it to do). For example:

round(variable / 2)

For stats, you can also use %+ and %-, which automatically round down.

1 Like

I’ll try that out when playing around with it. I’ll add that to the list of scheduled updates.

Someone knows! Someone noticed! Aaaaaaa! :kissing_heart:

Thank you! There’s also a typo where you refer to “clothes” as “cloths” somewhere in the script.

Also, a gender-neutral title for “Miss” or “Mister”, which I remember being kept as a “gender neutral title” placeholder in your code, is often Mx. or Mix. For prince or princess, you could have heir or princet. If you need further help with this kind of stuff, I’m here, just PM me or whatever.

1 Like

Well i still haven’t started reading, but im getting a wierd Mount&Blade vibes from that

I like CYOAs and I like RPGs so combining the two of them together probably means something good, right? Well, after playing this demo I found myself a bit disapointed in that regard. I like games that let me choose my character, their appearance, their personality, how to progress through the story through different paths and, if we’re talking about RPGs, let me customize my build however I wish. I found that, excluding the last one, CYOA are pretty much like a text-based RPG on their own already and just as easy to roleplay in, if not better.

So what bothers me about this game? Well, none other than its managing aspects. I find them boring, specially when there’s nothing else visually or audibly stimulating your attention (or rather distracting it) from the aspect that is grinding whatever form of currency we need just to upgrade our equipement and/or stronghold. Not only that, we also need to level our characters up to a point where we can finally complete a specific task, more often than not just so that we can progress in the story. I’m here to ready a story, I’m here to roleplay a character, to invest myself in it - not to get stalled by mindless filler.

I think the author has an interesting world in the making with all its lore but, as sad as it may be, the other mechanics are just not my thing. I understand every game has its audience and this one will be no different so please don’t feel discouraged by my opinion - I’m sure there are some around here who appreciate this kind of game.

1 Like

Error changing mind about selecting a skill.

startup line 1781 invalid expression at char 20 expecting closing parentheses was: OPERATOR

1 Like

@Laguz

Thanks for the offer! I will do so whenever there is a need. Really appreciate it!

@Wan

Haven’t tried Mount and Blade yet but maybe I’ll give it a try to see the feeling.

@IvoryOwl

I really appreciate the analysis on the game. I do understand that the mechanics can be a little bit tedious but for me, I’ve always somewhat enjoyed the grind. I will add more to it that drives the story and the character forward but I’ve spent a little more time on it. I’m not discouraged at all and rather welcome the thought as it shows the severe issues with the game. And those are the lack of character and story development, lack of something captivating, and how the game is laid out. Again, thank you very much!

@Dark_Stalker

I’ll have that updated in the next mini update. Thanks for pointing that out!

2 Likes

I actually think Undying Sovereign sounds a little more fitting, although Crown is good too.

The game is great although I wondered if it could be the character a semi demon too

1 Like

So how would father die? How immortal are we?

@Blattella
I’ll add that to the list of possible titles. I feel like that would be more appropriate if that MC was overpowered from the get go which is one of the possible paths I’m exploring.

@Jesus
Thanks for the feedback. I was hoping to add more races anyway, so I don’t see why I can’t add another. I’ll definitely keep that in mind!

@Dark_Stalker
I’m still currently working on the entire lore of the world. I’m thinking that the death of a true immortal can only be done in by another true immortal. Of course, that varies from race to race as others are more mortal than others.

Anyway, I apologize as I haven’t been able to work on it as more as I hope to do so. Plenty of things to think about especially with a current issue at work which is the cause of all the scramble so far. I really appreciate all the help and I’m hoping to get another update sometime this week.

Also, I’m considering of putting a story version to make more story driven and push the story further. I’ll have both links listed once completed.

Additionally, I’m considering if I should just remove the work aspect of it completely. I feel like more time could be spent on something more interesting than the normal toils of work. Personally, I think the work option is fine if there’s not too much on it especially if it is insignificant in the development of the story.

Thanks again!

1 Like