Tyrant Dawn - a post-apoc Dictator sim

I have music in my games, yes, but CoG takes care of that. I didn’t have to do anything for that to happen aside from sending them a couple different types of audio files.

i hope you don’t mind the probably overly-nitpicky critique of the logo design? my background is mostly in art and so, though i do feel i’m qualified to give such a critique, i apologize if i end up sounding too harsh or am giving you a critique you didn’t ask for.

so, with that, i’m really not feeling the logo. those strange overly-sharp edges on the icon that look really odd to me. i also feel that the highlighting is really strange, in that it looks like you tried to indent it, but the left side catches highlights too. it most likely isn’t a rimlight, either, considering the lower edge catches light too. i also feel that this bit here shouldn’t cast a shadow. in general, the icon is off-center in a way that diminishes the meaning; centered objects hold more power–often too much more for illustrations, hence people advocating other styles of composition instead, but for logos it’s absolutely fine. perhaps even necessary, for this one. you need to pull out all stops and grab them by the eyes while also communicating the message you want to. the lower edge is also far too close to the edge of the image, creating a tangent.

the t at the end of ‘tyrant’ creates a tangent with parts of the icon, and the kerning is a bit weird–the arms of the first t merge right into the y, and the t’s generally look taller than the rest of the letters. r’s in the middle of merging into a, too. i also really think you should get rid of the gradients in the border, since it can look very strange with lights so close to darks–i’m talking about the a’s and the w in particular, though r has some of it going on. i also feel the inner edges of w are colored in a way that makes it look stockier than it actually is.

in general, the sun could certainly do without the gradient, and i don’t think you’d be losing anything of much value by getting rid of the drop shadow. i also think that if you must have the gradient on the letters, make it so that the tail of the y doesn’t look darker and redder than the other letters.

now, as for the audio, the first one is fantastic. i did notice, however, that the narrator says ‘Flame Deluge,’ rather than ‘the Flame Deluge.’ and, because of the lack of a comma before ‘…now too roam the wastes,’ that part is said slightly awkwardly.

the second audio file had a sort of weak start, since the narrator says ‘… of man,’ but the text says ‘of the man.’ the way ‘Or will your ambition wither, in the radioactive wind?’ is said is very silly and sort of broke the mode for me. i also felt the guitar riffs at the end very much killed the rather bleak tone of it all. still, it’s otherwise, again, fantastic.

other than that, the game itself has a very strong start, and i adore the style of the little illustrations! i’m very excited for this revival and i hope things go smoothly.

Thanks very much. I know how very valuable it is to receive such expert advice. :slight_smile:

I’m not quite sure about the centered icon, however. Probably best to remake the thing later.

The non-gradient sun reminded me a bit too much of the flag of Japan.

1 Like

The Tutorial section has been completed (if still lacking some of the icons). Please check it out to read about the essential game concepts in the new story engine for Tyrant Dawn.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/644231/choicescript-online/web/tyrant_dawn/index.html

The next important update is to finish the code to demonstrate it all.

I want to play this on my iPod right now. Here. Take my entire wallet. Here. Just take it. Take it!

That’s my way of asking if you guys have a release window?

Not at the moment, sorry. It’s only been two days since we were reminded that we did this thing, and that we could do so much better now.

However, the engine itself will likely be finished by the 15th, with substantial portions of Chapter One for demo purposes.

Can’t wait for more (+ 20 characters )

Liked the font you used or the size you used…not sure, its appealing to the eye.

Sent you an email over some error…wasn’t intentional just got caught up in clicking stuff to get out of the screen lol.

For now, some placeholder Character Cards.

The Tutorial has been updated with icons.

1 Like

The challenge system seems to be working.

Please check out (again) https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/644231/choicescript-online/web/tyrant_dawn/index.html

Next up is to integrate Challenge assist via Companions and stat growth. And fix up the UI… smaller cards, maybe?

Error 404 bluepencil

@bluepencil i really like were this game is going and the whole consept! Keep up the great work i would love to play more :smiley:

The link should end with .html, not .html72.

I get an error trying to look at stats:

choice_script line 4: Non-existent variable ‘leadership’

Ah, yeah. Looks like I hadn’t cleaned up completely the original zipped tutorial files. I removed those variables in startup.txt. As of now the stats screen doesn’t do anything.

Fixed.

Say, anyone know if there’s a way I can mess with *image ? Is there a way I can use it to pick up and display a variable, as if something like

*set current_player_photo “char_id_001.jpg”
*image {current_player_photo} ?

*If character = type1
  *image type1.jpg

Thats all I can think of really

1 Like

Another thing I noticed is with the first challenge in Chapter 1 if you fail you have to restart the game. I also have not succeeded after 5 attempts…seems pretty hard for the first one.

Not really. You also have to restart on a victory. :wink: That’s because that’s as far as the demo’s been written.

The next part is supposed to show how assisting Companions add their abilities to your own. With the Protagonist’s 8 + Melisande’s 10 or 15, that makes the 25 difficulty check pretty easy to accomplish.

It’s still possible to succeed via random luck on your own.

I’m still in the middle of trying to figure out an easier ui via *gosub to char_id stacks than having to customize each encounter, and temporary bonuses and penalties for a chained challenge.

Error line 1222: Bad label intro_15