Turncoat Chronicle (political fantasy) - updated 24-APR-23

Regarding the stats screen: good point. I see now that the phrasing might be a little confusing. I think it is a holdover from my having added the appearance options later in the development process, but I can definitely make it clearer.

Regarding orientation: selecting that option tags the MC as bisexual and biromantic. It’s also possible to enable all romance options without committing to a sexual orientation, but I believe I tagged that option with an explainer note in italics.

7 Likes

I like the concept behind this a lot, but one thing I find a little weird about the plot is… Why would I tell a guard I’m considering making him a false heir before I’ve decided on it? It seems insensible, and dangerous, to spread information about these potential plans before I’ve even decided what I want to do…

I feel like the scene in the garden would make more sense if it’s more like MC is vetting the guard to decide if they’re capable of fulfilling the role but NOT actually saying what the plan might be unless I choose that route…

Idk if I’m making sense but it’s just what I was thinking as I read the scene.

11 Likes

This is something that I’ve considered several times as I worked on the first chapter. Ultimately, I decided that in the balance it’s more important to introduce readers to Lux as a character, first. Partly because it’s meant to show that Lux’s loyalty to the MC is not just a function of their position as a royal guard, but an integral feature of their personality.

It’s also worth noting that the MC isn’t being strictly honest with Lux, and the scene is meant to be taken in the context that pretenders to the title of “last surviving Kidian heir” have appeared before. This is very much business as usual in Koth.

Later in the story, I give the option to deal with Lux as either a potential threat or a potential asset, depending on which route you select and how it pans out.

Thank you very much for replying and giving your honest opinion. I’m thinking maybe it’s time for me to include this in the FAQ at the top of the thread, along with updates to some other important questions.

8 Likes

Will it be possible to be loyal to the king and not to be a backstabber opportunist at the same time?:wink:

2 Likes

For an IF where you can “choose your own adventure” there are very few choices you can make in the first chapter. The only things we readers get are pages and pages of stuff said and done without our input.

The problem for me started when you spar with the pretender in the training grounds and you don’t get to choose how to conduct yourself. The following tavern scene only exacerbated the aforementioned problem.

1 Like

The sparring session is a scene that’s necessary to progressing the plot, so I can’t make it optional. I can add variation to the scene. The reason I haven’t already done so, is because all the added options that came to mind had to do with combat skills. This is a very combat-light game, which doesn’t focus on skill-building.

Is there a reaction you wanted to have, but didn’t? I’m willing to consider adding more dynamic options, provided they fit in with the direction of the game.

5 Likes

You could try to do this.

First page.
Spar begins
-3 choices that reflect the chosen personality of the MC.

Second page.
Spar follows
-Again 3 choices that reflect the personality

Third page.
Spar outcome
-If you stayed true to your character personality during the spar both times then add a flavour text for victory.
If you choose one time not in character then flavor text draw.
If you choose the not in character choice both times then flavor text graceful defeat.

In any case it’s just flavor text, you will always ask them to join you for a drink.

1 Like

Hello, all.

I did mean to post an update on my progress much sooner, but there has been some real-life stuff that interfered with my progress e.g. holidays and my country going back into lockdown.

Progress on Turncoat Chronicle remains steady, if slower than I would like. Chapter 3 is nearly complete and I am working on testing and debugging it. The last bits of chapter 3 and the beginning of chapter 4 will soon go out to the private beta group. It’s proven to be by far the longest chapter in the game, and very branchy, and that’s not even counting the subroutines that are stored in an external text file. There are several optional scenes that can be accessed from either chapter 2 or 3, and those are counted separately.

Currently, the game’s total word count is 143K words with code, or 119K without. An average playthrough (as measured through ChoiceScript’s built-in function of Randomtest) is around 40K words. Since some of the important scenes in chapter 4 haven’t been drafted yet, I expect this to get a bit longer before the game is ready for its final beta version.

When chapter 4 is closer to being complete, I’m going to take another look at the preliminary achievements that I put into the game way at the beginning of the development process. Some of them will remain, some will be rephrased or tweaked, and some may be removed altogether. I’m glad that I wrote them into the code, because they gave me a good signpost of where I intended the story to go, but I’m not certain that they reflect the full range of possible endings that the final game will have.

All in all, I’m optimistic about the game’s progress and I feel good about the material that I added in September. My schedule is too erratic to give an accurate assessment of when the final draft will be complete, but I will strive to keep you updated, all the same.

25 Likes

No worries :wink: we will eagerly wait for when you are ready don’t pressure yourself. I would prefer slow updates to going on hiatus :slight_smile: . I like your writing and really look forward to more of it.
I mean there is this saying “ life is what happens while you are busy making other plans “ or something.

Hold up, OMG, that Madara’s name
You stole my husbando’s name lol :rofl::rofl:
It’s little uncomfortable to read, but it’s ok lol. I’m laughing, sorry :sweat_smile:

great game! that was interesting :wink:

i like Morun alot :kissing_heart:

2 Likes

Hey, all.

As you may know, like many writers here on the forums I’m working on several WIPs in parallel. During November, I participated in National Novel Writing Month, which means that I set aside a month to write the first draft of a brand-new novel. Of course, that means that I wasn’t spending that time updating Turncoat Chronicle, and I’m only just now getting back into the swing of things. Good thing I left my notes in order, and I know exactly what’s next on my to-do list.

You may think that means I have nothing to update you with, but here’s something, anyway. I actually meant to post this a year ago, believe it or not. Major oversight on my part, but here I am correcting it. I commissioned a professional artist to draw a beautiful map of the peninsula that TC takes place on, based on a rough draft that I created using the Tiled map editor.

The map is a large image, so I’ve hidden it behind a read-more, for your convenience.

Map of the Madara peninsula (large)

For comparison, here’s a small thumbnail image of the drafts I sent Tom to base the map on.

Thumbnail maps

tchron_maps

You can see more of Tom’s art on Facebook and Deviant Art. If you’re wondering how I found an artist, I recommend the Lemma Soft forums, where artists advertise commissions.

31 Likes

Lurking is my preferred mode of living but I had the urge to check this thread and am chuffed to find out that there’s art. But importantly, I wanted to log in to reiterate that this remains one of my favourite works.

9 Likes

This has been such an amazing read so far! This is dripping with political intrigue. I appreciate the MC’s strong will and that they’re not afraid to play dirty if needed. Also love the fact that the Kidia heir isn’t as naive as they appear and they can sense your deception if you come off too strong.

Happy to hear this is still being worked on and looking forward to reading whatever comes next! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Not too far in and I already feel like that really cool antagonist in the story who is making the hero an offer too good to be true. Lead us not into temptation, except we are the devil in this case :slight_smile: I always did like the antagonists more than the heroes.

11 Likes

After mulling it over in my mind for a long time, I had plans to update the demo this week, so that it goes all the way to the end of chapter 2. Depending on my schedule and unexpected factors, I may get to that this week, or not until Sunday next week.

42 Likes

wow good demo :hugs:

2 Likes

Been a while since my last run I like how it progressing so far

3 Likes

I discovered this demo a while ago and I am happy to see how it has evolved. I am intrigued by the political theme and the choices we have or we will have to make. Keep up the good work! :smile:

2 Likes

Turncoat Chronicle Demo version 0.5.3

At long last!

The Turncoat Chronicle demo has been updated! The new version, 0.5.3, includes all of chapters 1 & 2, including some additions and improvements that were previously only included in the private beta.

Chapter 2 remains the longest chapter in the game. Halfway through the development process, it became so long and unwieldy that I decided to split it in two. That means that the demo’s current endpoint is something of a cliffhanger, but in terms of word count, it’s more than halfway through the story.

The new demo has a lot of new scenes to explore, and not all of them can be experienced in a single playthrough. Some scenes are accessible from different points in the game, like the optional conversations with Sheyer and Consort Harim. In particular, the final scene of chapter 2 has a lot of variations suitable for all your different MCs.

TC is planned to be four chapters long, so there’s also still a lot to look forward to, including some climactic scenes that I’m currently working on. Gotta make sure that all the build-up of the early chapters pays off, right?

I hope you all enjoy the new scenes and, as usual, I do welcome all your feedback, although I can’t promise I’ll accept it.

Play the updated demo!

91 Likes