Totem Force [Released!]

@Zolataya Sorry, I guess I just subconsciously put a male character into the MC, although I have tried to steer clear of anything obviously gendered. (I’ll go through with a girl to see if there’s anything obvious I can change.) I’m still not certain, though, whether you’re asking for the ability to be more feminine, or for the Sexist Laws of the Universe to try to force you to be more feminine, against which you can rebel? Sorry for any confusion.

@Urban You mean the Heir, right? Yes, it should be possible, but it’s not easy. It requires not min-maxing your stats, for one thing. I’ll probably make it slightly easier in the next update (although it will still be hard).

1 Like

Well Heir is super antagonistic, and the only Rival character that I know that shows up before him in the genre is Kamen Rider Baron.

if you are going for a parody, I think this is necessary.

1 Like

@Zolataya I suppose I’m anxious that if I tried this and got it wrong that it could be seen as me being the sexist one… Also, I don’t really want to change anything that much due to your choice of gender (for example, if I were to add more feminine choices, these would be available to anyone to choose).

1 Like

@ParrotWatcher - I totally understand your perspective and concern. Either way, the story so far is a fun and light-hearted journey, one I enjoy as is.

My feedback was meant to address the following request: [quote=“ParrotWatcher, post:1, topic:15440”]
lso, if there are any clichés of this genre that you’d like to see addressed in the game, please let me know.
[/quote]

As @Zilla points out, my cliche in relation to American versions is dated to early Power Rangers (making me feel old now) and as I pointed out can be traced to Japanese comics which have different standards then seen elsewhere when it comes to what is sexism etc.

Never-the-less, I wanted to open the feedback for your consideration - what you do with it, I leave to you and don’t expect you to change if you feel the need not to.

I find your work to be something worth pursuing - even if I normally don’t go for these subject matters much any more.

I’m really enjoying this wip so far. As said it’s light hearted and it’s something new as far as wips go. My only “complaint” for lack of a better word is that some things that happen are just sort of brushed over or not really reacted to after they happen. for example when Kay gets shot and we heal her. She almost died and yet it continues with them hurrying to school. Another one which I can understand sort of is when Kay in her angry speech admits to having feelings for the Mc and Mc doesn’t really respond to it. I understand it’s not the most important thing at that moment but it would be nice to at least have the Mc think about asking or confronting her about it later ( after saving Sammy xP) What I enjoy is that we get a pretty good impression of the npcs that have been introduced to us so far. Or at least we get to see how they want to be seen by others since it’s high-school and all. Keep up the good work and thanks again for letting me be a Dragon “knight”

@Zsero That’s a good point. I’ll try to work in some more reactions (the main reaction to Kay’s healing would have happened offscreen, and anyway, school is far more important than nearly dying).

@Zolataya Thanks. Any constructive criticism is appreciated, and it makes sense to at least try to address it. Would it make sense to add pink as a potential colour choice, which could lead to a more “girly”-looking outfit (also for the guys, obviously)?

2 Likes

I’d love this option. Especially if as the story continues we can get more and more outrageously ridiculous… like for a sweet 16 party have the pink MC get a pink corvette (which makes fun of the barbie stuff i had growing up.)

I’d love a more “girly” looking outfit available right away too - it would allow me to relate to your story better. Us older fans of the “out-dated” versions can laugh and enjoy the story more this way. :smile_cat:

The fact that this option would be open to everyone would be appreciated by lots others too I’m sure @Bagelthief could give additional 2016 perspective.

2 Likes

For what reason have you awakened me from my eternal slumber…

read this WiP… then read my feedback :stuck_out_tongue: I think you can add your feedback as well :smile_cat:

I have a problem with textwalls because autism. What do you want, friendlies. I do not understand. Do you want pink frillies for everyone? Yes. That is good. I approve. :slight_smile:

What else. Ask. I’m tired, it’s late. My mum’s birthday is tomorrow. I have sword class tomorrow. Be quick, be concise. :sleeping: Alternatively, PM me tomorrow!

1 Like

On the note of more girly looking I think it would be perfect to give both male Mcs and female mcs the option to dress, act and have girly or boy stuff. I would love to be able to have my female Mc be a total tomboy and be one of the guys. Which we kinda get already thanks to the rivalry with Chi. It would fit well with the theme of this wip I think. I would also love a flamboyant antagonist that is just way to fabulous for their own good xP

3 Likes

A cliché that hasn’t been brought up yet is “Monster falls in love with one of the Rangers”, it usually only lasts a single episode though as the monster either gets over it, or dies.

Poison Arrow Ninja Suzumebachi, aka Wasp Lady, fell in love with Yakumo Katou, aka Blue Ranger.

Development Technical Officer Insarn fell in love with Kyosuke Jinnai, the red car ranger from a past series guest staring on Gokaiger.

Bonus Picture of Insarn as a school girl in a flashback:

I’ve added a few pink (+frilly) options, and also redone the Episode 2 battle. As always, let me know what you think.

3 Likes

How about this one?

Monster turns friend(at least in the english version).

1 Like

I finally defeated him, but it requires you to min-max your stats.
To have 60 in one stat and 40 in another required me to read through the code to get every opportunity to raise my stats.
Almost impossible without metagaming.

@Urban It’s not required for the story (you don’t even need to beat Akira). It was more my intention to “reward” people who hadn’t raised one stat at the detriment of the others (which seems to be a common problem with these games), although I admit, you still need to ignore the third. My most recent update has dropped the requirement to 57/37, so you can make a couple of mistakes.

I think you should make it 56 or 58/36 or 38, because the stats are always even.

@Urban It’s effectively 58/38, but I wasn’t certain how ChoiceScript handles floating point under/overflow errors.

Just looked that up, cause I haven’t watched Juken Sentai Gekiranger or Jungle Fury yet, that happened for plot reasons. In the Japanese version, Suugu/Whiger is the Red Rangers father, and is brainwashed blah blah blah…

But yeah, it’s a good cliché that’s really only used for plot, hopefully we get to see it.