Tokyo Siege (WIP / short demo) (title open for changes)

Hello,

For the ones that don’t know me, I am Porter, “active” forum member for more than two years now.
Feel free to point out the mistakes I made, criticism and ideas are always welcome.

Welcome to my newest Work in Progress, “Tokyo Siege” (Name still open for changes) Now I have started a lot of Work in Progresses in the past which weren’t very good because my English used to suck and so did my coding but I am much better now at both (I think) and also had a lot of ideas but I never fully worked them out or actually finished those Work in Progresses I made
But this is one I will probably actually try to finish as I actually found something fun to write, “based” (More inspiration) on multiple films and games like Elysium, Halo, District 9.

I am planning on making more than one part in this “world” “story” “time-line” So I would really appreciate if you guys could come up with a name for the game. I have been thinking about something like “2020: Tokyo Siege” but the second part might not even take place in 2020 but later.

But I guess that the most important thing right now is the Story and “Time-line”.

It was 2018 when it all happened, a long time mankind has been thinking about it and now it finally happened. An alien invasion and as many have speculated, they aren’t friendly. Now it isn’t the fact that they are much more advanced that us, they of course are but not that much. Their military is quite similar to ours but instead of things like bullets they use Gauss and Pulse, forms of using electricity and laser.
The aliens are bigger and stronger, using a combination of armour and shields which aren’t weak makes them a fearful opponent, they have much stronger space ships that us, hell, we don’t even have spaceships made for combat though our Airforce is able to deal with it. Not for too long though.
After a couple of days of the invasion most countries fired their nukes at the main ships of the alien fleet which proved to be successful but they still have some big ships orbiting Earth.

On the ground things aren’t going great, they are stronger and have good ground and air support with them, the fact that their remaining spaceships are able to wipe out the big cities wasn’t great as well. We had major losses and after a year of fighting it wasn’t looking too good for us.

2020, There are four main safe zones on Earth now, great protection by walls and Turrets against Spaceships, most investments have gone to the military, creating more powerful weapons and defences which has proven to be effective.

These safe zones are London (with surroundings), Shanghai , Tokyo and The South Coast of Australia. These are basically big cities now with great defences.

There are still small militia and rebellion groups active in Africa and North America trying to fight back when possible.

As the name might suggest, this game takes mostly place in Tokyo.
You will be leading a Strike Force trough Tokyo when a massive siege on both Shanghai and Tokyo happens, both are a tough nut to crack as they are basically fortresses but everything will fall one day, so it’s up to you to try and save Tokyo from the invasion.

Right now I have a short demo of 1.658 words (including code), I will try to write a bit every evening, or at least a lot in the weekends. But for now, here’s the demo.
Tokyo Siege

Things I might/will add
-Skill tree
-weapon system with accuracy, range, damage etc.
-special roles like medic, support, pilot etc.
-mission system with rewards

Sounds like a promising start.

Seems interesting so far.

Reading that description I just thought of Halo…
Isn’t reflexes and agility the same thing?

No actually
Reflexes would be reaction time
Agility would be more gymnastic
To simplify
Reflexes-Mind
Agility-Body

An alien invasion as early as 2018… Sounds like it’s high time to build a bunker in the back yard.

Most of the ideas of the Things I might/will add list sound difficult to pull off. Not completely impossible, but more like that it’s going to take a lot of time to properly implement them.

Edit:
Just played the demo. It is readable, but just barely. There are only a few typo’s for as far as I can tell, mostly not even actual typo’s but just similar words to the word you are looking for. The more problematic thing is the order and amount of words in the sentences. It makes the whole thing feel a bit clunky. If you want I could give you a more in detail report on what isn’t quite right and how you could fix it.

The story itself is nice this far. I’m especially curious about what’s going to happen later on and about what happened in the city you started in for things to get that desperate.

It does seem a bit implausible to me that aliens could invade us three years from now and yet we’d somehow be able to put up any sort of fight against them.

I mean, how are turrets on the ground supposed to defend against space ships? How are walls supposed to defend against their ground forces? Do these aliens not have any weapons or something?

When talking about the plane it says bigger thread. It’s a simple error but it should be a “t” rather then a “d” at the end of “threa”. :slight_smile:

just from the United states alone firing HALF their nukes, the world would be plunged in a nuclear winter, most countries firing until they ran out would result in a planet so iradiated that the aliens wouldn’t want it anymore.

Waaaaaaaait…
Didn’t they send those nukes to space? How could they harm the Earth?

We are screwed if an alien invasion happens, to have traveled this far is an astonishing feat and the technology required is crazy. And to evolve as a race by moving past all their differences is quite impressive.

I thought that they were detonated within the atmosphere, since they were said to be in there as opposed to the bigger ones in orbit. Even if a nuke could reach space, large amounts of radiation would hit the atmosphere since targets are still in orbit. Not to mention the huge, stadium sized chunk of metal that’s now hurtling towards a potentialy populated area. The ship’s got to crash somewhere, and I doubt it’s going to stay in orbit with all navigation/stabilizers trashed.

We fight more amongst ourselves than anything else. The human race is seriously flawed in how we run things.

@Elimajor
"Any sufficiently advanced alien is indistinguishable from God."
— Paraphrase of Shermer’s Last Law

Sometimes it is better to just think that a random God gave them the technology to travel like that, because they would be gods themselves otherwise.

An alien invasion as early as 2018… Sounds like it’s high time to build a bunker in the back yard.

Most of the ideas of the Things I might/will add list
sound difficult to pull off. Not completely impossible, but more like
that it’s going to take a lot of time to properly implement them.

Edit:
Just played the demo. It is readable, but just barely. There
are only a few typo’s for as far as I can tell, mostly not even actual
typo’s but just similar words to the word you are looking for. The more
problematic thing is the order and amount of words in the sentences. It
makes the whole thing feel a bit clunky. If you want I could give you a
more in detail report on what isn’t quite right and how you could fix
it.

The story itself is nice this far. I’m especially curious about
what’s going to happen later on and about what happened in the city you
started in for things to get that desperate.

The weapon system wont be that hard, just adding some variables etc.
The others, they will be, and I’m of course not sure if I will add them.

I have noticed myself when writing it that is looks, ugly? Just not right, and I don’t know how I can fix it as it is how I write.
The typos are indeed wrong words which is still mostly because my English vocabulary isn’t that great.
I would happily accept a detailed report on those things.

Right now the story at the beginning is a small complication of what happened but I will write a big part on how, and what happened in maybe like the stat screen.

It does seem a bit implausible to me that aliens could
invade us three years from now and yet we’d somehow be able to put up
any sort of fight against them.

I mean, how are turrets on the ground supposed to defend against
space ships? How are walls supposed to defend against their ground
forces? Do these aliens not have any weapons or something?

Well, as I already stated in the beginning of the story, a lot of their technology is quite similar to ours.
The reason why they have made it to earth is because they didn’t have a Dark Age like we did with our stupid religion. They basically had around 1000 years more time to focus on science, in the form of space travel. They are of course more advanced but we are at our home planet and we. also have some quite big weapons.

They have weapons but walls around cities, big walls, give quite some protection. You have a better overview from there and all of that. It makes it harder to get past it from both the ground and air when you have soldiers, AA cannons, and things like that in and on the wall.

And if you have something like this on a turret.
http://digital-art-gallery.com/oid/76/r169_457x256_13550_Cannon_2d_sci_fi_gun_concept_art_game_art_cannon_heavy_artillery_military_picture_image_digita.jpg
And a lot of them on the wall and in places in the city, it might be effective against a spaceship.

just from the United states alone firing HALF
their nukes, the world would be plunged in a nuclear winter, most
countries firing until they ran out would result in a planet so
iradiated that the aliens wouldn’t want it anymore.

Well just about all of them where fired at the spaceships that where the furthest away from Earth to ensure safety.
(this might also answer the other questions about this)

It’s nothing some basic words of advise and some practice on your side won’t fix. I might not be the right person for the job though, since I have the bad habit of turning into a complete tyrant when it comes to writing in English…

What kind of shielding did these ships have? They would have to be spaced incredibly far apart to only harm one at a time. The kinetic blast combined with the fallout would leave incredible casualties. As for firing into the fleet to hit the farthest, how were the nukes not intercepted?

First you have to react to one coming to you, if there suddenly come like 100 missiles at you each from a different location. You have to get your weapons up and everything like that, once they are too close shooting them won’t do much good because boom.

I will explain everything in the 2nd chapter of the game.

If they are all firing simultaneously, then the combined radiation would pretty much cook the entire fleet and make the earth uninhabitable. They are called weapons of mass destruction for a reason.
Also, I’m pretty sure we have developed weapons that can disable a nuke midair, I kind of doubt they wouldn’t have figured out a similar (if not better) system.

This reminds me of falling skies.