These Reluctant Years (WIP) - Last updated: August 11th, 2021

I just realized that I forgot to mention here that there is a new update available for members of my Patreon! It will be accessible by the general public via this forum thread one week from yesterday. Some of you also mentioned that the save plug-in for the demo wasn’t working correctly, and I believe I’ve fixed it! (:

3 Likes

There’s a new update up! In this update, I’ve:

• Lowered entry requirements to get into Gensburg College.
  • Completed MC1’s introduction.
  • Began MC2’s introduction (exile only).
  • Added more neutral options to early decisions.

Follow my Tumblr blog or join my Patreon page to see additional lore, what-if scenarios, and early updates! You can also always feel free to ask/tell me anything on this thread! (:

19 Likes

Ok I’m gonna bite the bullet and ask: is possible to romance mc1 with mc2?
There I’m done being a romance obsessed weirdo.

4 Likes

Yes, but due to the extreme variance possible in either of their personalities I’m not sure if I can reliably answer questions about the content of the romance, if that makes sense? Through however MC1 and/or MC2 react/talk to each other their relationship will either build or lessen and depending on the player meeting the romance threshold or not – there are many paths up to the same romance mountain, so to speak, with the end result being the same.

Ahaha, it’s fine! Ask all the questions you like, romance-related or otherwise! (:

4 Likes

That’s quite a novel idea! I’m looking forward to testing it.

1 Like

I have a question: how do people know who is a wyldfolk? (sorry if I’m butchering the term) For example a mc whose mom is the farm girl, how does society know that? Was mc born with tattoos?
Yeah sorry it’s not really coherent.

1 Like

Thank you!

Generational stigma, mostly. Like in real life, peasants in the Colonies and the Mainland are traded, bought, and sold either as part of the land or as a noble/noble house’s property/assets. It’s entirely possible that MC1’s mother is not of Wildfolk descent at all, and her family was simply the target of a nasty rumor or superstition someone began generations before her birth. There’s no way of knowing for sure, but that doesn’t mean anyone would stop treating her as basically sub-human. These people are mostly very racist and xenophobic, and so long as the possibility of someone being different exists, people will treat them as if it does exist.

It’s fine – I understood you!

3 Likes

I suppose I should say that I really liked the game! The writing style is so nice.

Yeah sure I kinda got lost in the religious stuff/natural order but that’s more of my fault for not reading the codex.

Please continue, the world you’re building is a very interesting one!

1 Like

Thank you for your kind words! And yes, I would say to keep in mind that the books in the library are written by biased authors. Not all their interpretations are meant to be taken as reality by the player (you can usually tell where I’ve intentionally exaggerated, lol) and might be regarded as the “establishment” or “elite” version of history/geography/ethnography, not necessarily the truth. (;

6 Likes

It’s a basic love story, but I’d run my MCs kinda like pocahontas. MC1 is a young, empathetic nobleman that’s interested in the wild folk. MC2 is a girl who’s afraid and angry at these foriegn aggressors. But after some misadventures between the two love blooms. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

Nothing wrong with the classics!

1 Like

Just want to say I really like this, and I enjoy the shitty views in it. It grounds it really well in a way that’s not possible otherwise. It solidifies my stance that gender and sexuality options should never be limited by the world the game takes place in. Story or what the author is comfortable writing, sure, but not the world.
Just because a setting is “”“historical”"" (very misogynistic) doesn’t mean you can’t play a girl going against those beliefs and fighting every step. Just because a setting is “”“historical”"" (very homophobic) doesn’t mean no one, including the protagonist, is gay. Just because a setting is “”“historical”"" (very transphobic) doesn’t mean no one, including the protagonist, had those feelings/thoughts.
Despite being all three of those and exclusively playing as such, I really love this. Having the options, even with consequence, is significantly better than not because [weak excuse].
As a suggestion, could you offer the option to change your name when choosing to be trans? It feels odd/wrong to have to go with a feminine name from the start and everyone going with it instead of deadnaming (not that I’d enjoy that, but I’d like hating it).

Unrelated to anything, I didn’t realise you were the writer of Too Different. This will probably sound bad, but I think this is a huge jump in writing quality. I only mean that in a positive way, sorry if it sounds bad :c

3 Likes

I firmly agree. I think it’s ridiculous that some people seem to try and pretend that queer/trans people suddenly sprang into existence twenty years ago.

Thank you for your support!

I had toyed with this idea earlier, but dropped it. I sort of figured that MC1’s father not dead-naming them would be a consequence of their grandfather having the whole patronizing “oh ho ho let’s humor them” attitude and Abner Jr. relenting to the patriarch of House [housenamehere].

EDIT:

It’s fine. I take it as a compliment that someone’s observed an improvement in my writing. Nobody’s perfect, and we’re all just trying to practice and get better!

5 Likes

When choosing a name isn’t it explicitly said that it’s the father who names the first mc? I was under the impression that you were just going to be deadnamed for the whole game.

1 Like

I went back and checked and I don’t think so? Do you think the wording implies this and/or I should change it so it does/doesn’t?

Would it be more logical that the mom names them? Seeing as she raised the mc until she died?

1 Like

So it says ‘As a three-year-old, you were brought into House [whatever] as…’
Which does imply that you didn’t name yourself, being only three.

Probably better to either move the naming to a later date, if you’re not going to use the deadname for anything.

1 Like

“Brought into House Xyz” means more that MC1 was legitimized/acknowledged as a family member.

I’ll consider these. Thank you for your input!

Yo! Some fan art of my noble mc Verna Feyhill. Yeah sorry for the half assed clothes, I’m tired.
Anyway grandfather had to bride her with some sweets to make her sit still. And she was complaining the whole time. Seriously who makes small children to sit still hours for a portrait?

Summary

2 Likes

Is it possible for MC1 to meet/romance Blythe if they don’t go to Sovereign’s Refuge, possibility even if they have more radical views?

Additionally, going forward, will it be possible for an MC with traditionalist views, once they leave their hometown and start to see more of the world, to change their views?

2 Likes