Well when something is being discussed, @FairyGodfeather, it pays to be informed.
And, put simply, @Jackrabbit, I found it to be cheap satisfaction for garish ideological sensibilities; however, I don’t really know helpful that is, since fairytales, - at least modern ones, - tend towards the garish by nature. And a fairytale game based on fairytales themselves… It would have to be heavily satirical, in order to resist such, I would think - or at least be ironic.
OH! And before I forget, as a side note: IIRC In 15th/16th/17th century Europe, where most of these prince/dragon/damsel stories seem to be set (what with clothing and all), any ruler of an independent country could be referred to as a “Prince”. In the case of Imperial structures, like Russia or the HRE, that meant that a given political entity was *full* of “Princes”.
Note the lack of gender requirement.
Yes, that means your princess, dame-errant, queen-regnant etc, could technically, in theory, also be a prince.
@Drazen Okay! Well good on you for being able to put your health at risk in the name of education. I’m sure everyone’s grateful that you were willing to suffer for the greater good.
@Cataphrak I love that! I love the idea of female Princes.
One question: do you guys prefer first POV or third person or you POV? I’ve seen most people just put ‘you’, but I’ve also see people use 1st. So I’m just wondering.
While I very much treasure the rare second person used in CoG games, I think you should write whatever comes naturally for you. If you forced it, it won’t be as good, not to mention probably laborious to write. So it’s really up to you!
However, if the choice is between first person and third person, I support the first. I believe that to avoid meta gaming and encourage immersion, the limited perspective offered by the first (and second) person are the best tools.
The use of First person forces you to limit the descriptions to just what the MC knows. Sometimes it can be good, sometimes it can be bad. Third person lets you write great descriptions, but it can make the player grow detached of their character. And Second person creates a dialog between the narrator and the player, which can help with making the player feel more into the story, but it can be tiresome, both for the writer and the player. At least, I think so.
Might be a bit jarring? Switching from first to third and vice versa is common enough, but throwing second in there can be very confusing.
That could be used to an interesting effect, though. Such as using second when looking through the eyes of a different character than the one that was narrated in third. The slow realisation ‘you’ are not who you thought you are is a classic (also known as Tomato in the Mirror/Tomato Suprise).
I’m certainly interested! I find first person easiest, but I like reading third person most. But Kitty, this will be a very compelling story if you write it!
This sounds really interesting, curious if you’ll be making all three types of character playable with plenty of options. I also recalled this poem I read at school relating to a picture of the George and the Dragon story and thought they related nicely, this is a link: http://english.emory.edu/classes/paintings&poems/uccello.html
I see potential, but like Drazen, I think it would be best as some kind of parody or satire. It could be a very funny game, and I would much enjoy that!
As to Drazen’s first post- what’s wrong with Disney?! LOL!
@Galador The poor are not subjugated, animals are not slaughtered, nobody knows their place (and dissenters do not have their limbs torn off), and talking furniture is not committed to the flames like the demon-possessed fetishes they are.
@Drazen Of course, Disney is utterly ridiculous, but that’s the point! They make happy stories with magic and talking creatures and stuff. It’s supposed to be that way. Besides, did you not enjoy Disney movies as a child? Or were you already too old for that stuff when it came around?
A lot of the popular Disney movies are actually based on other stories that came before them, but Disney gives them happy endings instead of having everyone die and go on living in misery.
I read all the original stories as a small child before what I call disneyfied happened to them. I like the truth better than what they were turned into by Disney because it entertains me more. Not saying I don’t like Disney I like them but the truth shall come out.